Anne Hathaway | Ellen DeGeneres | Jason Sudeikis | Maine | Mitt Romney | News | Rihanna | Saturday Night Live

'Gay Couple From Maine' Discuss Election On 'SNL:' VIDEO

GaycoupleSNL

Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update" segment covered the historic marriage equality wins in Maryland, Washington and Maine last night by inviting a "gay couple from Maine" — played by Bill Hader and Fred Armisen — to discuss how they met, the differences between Maine and glitzy New Hampshire and their romantic engagement. Well, romantic for a gay couple from Maine.

Check it out AFTER THE JUMP.

In other SNL news, hostess with the mostest Anne Hathaway's monologue evolved into a spoof on "One Day," a track from her forthcoming film adaptation of Les Misérables, and the actress also had a pretty genius turn doing "the Sloppy Swish" in a bizarre yet oddly addictive digital short called "The Legend of Mokiki."

And she made great "roach warehouse" in the "Girlfriends" sketch, while getting deep in fictional CIA agent Carrie Mathison's insanity during a send-up of Homeland. But it may be Hathaway's revival of her Katie Holmes impression alongside Kate McKinnon as Ellen DeGeneres.

Check out clips of those sketches, save for the Holmes impression, which isn't yet online, as well as two performances by musical guest Rihanna, AFTER THE JUMP. Oh, I've also included the cold open in which Jason Sudeikis plays a sad Mitt Romney.

GAY COUPLE FROM MAINE:

ANNE HATHAWAY'S MONOLOGUE:

THE SLOPPY SWISH

HOMELAND

MITT ROMNEY COLD OPEN

GIRLFRIENDS: RIHANNA'S PERFORMANCES:

Comments

1. It's "One Day More."

Posted by: Brian | Nov 11, 2012 11:20:37 AM

2. Taran Killam is the breakout star of this cast, imho, and I mean, who doesn't love Anne?

Posted by: PepeSF | Nov 11, 2012 11:38:12 AM

3. my new goal in life is to get totally lit with anne hathaway.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 11, 2012 1:08:21 PM

4. The Maine sketch was homophobic. No surprise that Belonsky, who is filled with internalized homophobia, loved it.

Posted by: Dev | Nov 11, 2012 1:12:24 PM

5. Her Homeland and Katie Holmes impressions were amazingly spot on. But then at the end she thanked Claire Danes and someone else, neither of whom I noticed being on the show. But I'm awful at recognizing actors or really, anyone in costume.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 11, 2012 1:14:17 PM

6. Rihanna's first performance seemed off to me. Stilted, low energy, like the was bored and would rather be somewhere else. And what was with the weird screen saver-y background? Could've been a neat idea but the execution was off.

Her second song was better but I'm not sure how it'll hold up.

Posted by: kiki | Nov 11, 2012 2:19:24 PM

7. @Paul R, she thanked Claire Danes and Katie Holmes at the end, because she made fun of them during the show, Claire in the Homeland skit and Katie during the Ellen skit.

Posted by: Devonasa | Nov 11, 2012 2:19:33 PM

8. It's a good thing I'm gay, or Anne would need a restraining order to keep me away.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 11, 2012 2:21:32 PM

9. SNL has a history of homophobic humor.

Yes, you can make jokes about gay people, as all segments of our society can used in satire.

However, I would like the writers of SNL to look at each time they do jokes about our community: would you make a similar joke about someone's race? (If not, don't do it....)

Posted by: TonyJazz | Nov 11, 2012 2:37:45 PM

10. @TONYJAZZ and DEV: did you say the same thing about Will & Grace?

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 11, 2012 2:59:50 PM

11. SNL is an example of classic liberal homophobia. It stinks. GLAAD will probably give it a pass because it's liberals being homophobic, and not conservatives.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2012 4:18:04 PM

12. Homophobic? No, not even close. If your day isn't complete without being "phobed" about something then keep looking 'cause it ain't here.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Nov 11, 2012 4:20:18 PM

13. This skit didn't seem homophobic to me. They were just a couple of queens with Maine accepts making eyes at each other. What's homophobic about that?
    But SNL humor is just too corny and dumbed down for my taste. A couple of queens with Maine accents making eyes at each other. What's funny about that?

Posted by: Wilberforce | Nov 11, 2012 4:23:05 PM

14. @Deonvasa: OK, thanks. Makes sense. I guess I was being an idiot on that front!

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 11, 2012 4:29:42 PM

15. this is only "homophobic" to closet cases who are still afraid the bigots in their lives who crack 'fag jokes', that they likely still laugh at, in order to 'save face'

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 11, 2012 4:37:45 PM

16. SNL is not a gay-friendly organization. It's simply a bunch of breeder liberals who use gay men to poke fun at issues.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2012 4:52:00 PM

17. The other thing that should be mentioned is that SNL's musical guest was Rihanna, she of the known admiration for hugely homophobic singers like Beenie Man from the Caribbean.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2012 4:53:07 PM

18. Also, I have a microscopic penis and that's why I hate blacks because compared to them it looks even smaller than usual.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2012 5:06:04 PM

19. The "Jason" that referred to my penis size is not the Jason that is controversial on this site. It's someone with much less intellect by the looks of it.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2012 5:20:31 PM

20. The running theme in SNL gay jokes is to sexualize all aspects of gay peoples' lives. Everything they say is a double entendre. Everything they do has some connotation related to fellatio or anal sex. This sketch's humor is not that different from the Ambiguously Gay Duo or any number of similar sketches. If this were done once in a while, it would be no big deal. But it is all the time. They think this is the way you incorporate gay people into SNL. And Belonsky loves it.

Posted by: Dev | Nov 11, 2012 5:57:29 PM

21. and Conservative gays do the exact opposite - they neuter and desexualize themselves so as to not "worry about offending" ignorant bigots.

that's why the SNL-style jokes are made. because it's ridiculous.

liberals embrace LGBT people. conservatives don't. liberals tend to not apologize for being gay. gay conservatives do.

gay conservatives are the reason straight conservatives don't embrace and accept LGBT people.

they keep doing things "their way" and so far it's not worked. we gay liberals? we do what we do because our straight liberal allies, friends, and family accept us for who and what we are.

:D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 11, 2012 6:12:20 PM

22. I felched both my grandparents. At their funerals.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2012 6:16:46 PM

23. I didn't think the Maine sketch was homophobic at all. And I think that Bill Hader is hot.

Posted by: David Lauri | Nov 11, 2012 6:25:47 PM

24. The scabrous Jason comments are not Jason (or Rick) they are Kiwi who doesn't have the balls to sign it honestly. He's skin deep with an underbelly that runs all the way around. Bleh!

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 11, 2012 6:44:26 PM

25. But then again, what would I know? I'm a cowardly internet troll myself, as ashamed of being gay as my father was to call me his son.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 11, 2012 6:49:32 PM