Nature | News

Someone is Intentionally Killing Dolphins in the Gulf of Mexico

A spate of dolphin mutilations and killings in the Gulf of Mexico has authorities alarmed, the Sun Herald reports:

DolphinLast weekend, IMMS responded to a dead dolphin found along the Ocean Springs/Gautier coastline with a 9mm bullet wound. "It went through the abdomen, into the kidneys and killed it," said Moby Solangi, IMMS executive director.

In Louisiana, a dolphin was found with its tail cut off.

"Animals don't eat each other's tails off," Solangi said.

"We think there's someone or some group on a rampage," he said. "They not only kill them but also mutilate them."

IMMS investigated the first dolphin shooting earlier this year and incidents have increased in the past few months. In Alabama, someone stabbed and killed a dolphin with a screwdriver, according to a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration press release. In September, a dolphin was found on Elmer's Island, La., with a bullet in its lung. Others have been mutilated with knife-like lesions.

NOAA on Thursday issued a "heads up" directive for environmental and enforcement agencies to be on the lookout for human-interaction dolphin strandings.

The Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 places a $100,000 fine and one year in jail on anyone found harassing, harming, killing or feeding wild dolphins.

(via americablog)

Comments

1. Sad :(

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 19, 2012 12:29:24 PM

2. Only someone with a truly sick mind could do such a thing.

Sorry, but I'm afraid if I was out there, armed and ready... these bastards would not be alive when I left the area. It's a good thing I don't live near the gulf.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 19, 2012 12:55:34 PM

3. This infuriates me.

Posted by: Timothy | Nov 19, 2012 1:10:56 PM

4. Savage[s]. Dolphins are very friendly towards humans.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 19, 2012 1:23:11 PM

5. Could be f*cked up fisherman[men]. Dolphins can cause fishermen problems.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 19, 2012 1:24:21 PM

6. What the hell is wrong with people?! I don't understand how you could be in the same space with a dolphin and think about doing something hideous like this!

Posted by: greenfuzz | Nov 19, 2012 1:38:49 PM

7. This sounds like when farmers go after wolves. The law sounds a bit arbitrary when it equates harassment, feeding, harming and killing. They should probably rethink that one.

Posted by: anon | Nov 19, 2012 1:54:34 PM

8. I hope they find this guy and send him to prison. Crossing my fingers. I saw this story on the news and was appalled.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Nov 19, 2012 6:00:25 PM

9. Incredibly sad. I'm also baffled at how easy it is to kill a dolphin. I had no idea. I mean, they're fast. And they're in the water. It's not like killing a deer, etc.

Posted by: JAMES | Nov 20, 2012 6:15:08 PM

10. I was this close, this close, to having a little faith in humanity restored. This close.

Posted by: Eddie | Nov 20, 2012 11:25:22 PM