Halloween | Jimmy Kimmel | News

BigGayDeal.com

The Meanest Trick You Can Play on a Kid: VIDEO

Candy

Once again this year, Jimmy Kimmel told parents to prank their children by telling them they ate all their Halloween candy. And once again, among the shrieking and the crying and the frustrated were a few kids with hearts made of such sweetness that the lost candy didn't matter.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Are his last homophobic one, should we be giving him the views?

Posted by: Carl | Nov 5, 2012 10:43:41 AM

2. I will never understand how people find this kind of thing funny.

Posted by: LiamB | Nov 5, 2012 10:44:59 AM

3. This is hilarious! PLUS it teaches kids how to reason, and of course, maybe adding a few (healthy) trust issues along the way. The last few were exceptionally sweet.

Posted by: ESA | Nov 5, 2012 10:55:09 AM

4. If we can trust these videos to be real & unstaged, and speaking as a pediatrician who has worked with kids & families for over 25 years, I think this prank reveals how different children react based mostly on their upbringing. Most of these kids show themselves to be spoiled, selfish brats, some much too old to react with fake crying (most of the crying & whining looked faked). The horridness of these reactions is made more obvious by the last few kids, who were among the youngest in the bunch and who displayed a sweetness & ability to share which the others did not. Just my professional opinion...

Posted by: DrMikey | Nov 5, 2012 11:12:15 AM

5. aww, those last few, forgiving ones, as SO cute..."next year...we'll share!"

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Nov 5, 2012 11:14:54 AM

6. @DRMIKEY, I call total bu*l*hit. Did you notice that even when the parents offered to buy back the candy the kids didn't want it. It's because they walked in the cold for that candy and feel it's an injustice after all their hard work. And they are totally justified in being upset about it, sans the violent outbursts. But these parents are complete a**holes for exploiting their children for a few laughs. I'm sick of parents putting videos of their young children all over the internet. Why doesn't Jimmy do the same to his kids? Maybe because he has a little more sense and will only exploit other people's kids for gain. Not his own.

Posted by: Quest | Nov 5, 2012 11:20:41 AM

7. That's not funny!

"here...go torture your children and then send us the video! It'll be cool!"

Posted by: gerry | Nov 5, 2012 11:35:26 AM

8. The kid that fell to the floor cracked me up in this, his first brilliant perfomance on the way to a great career in theater.

I don't think it shows upbringing nearly as much as it shows the innate character that children arrive here with.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 5, 2012 11:37:33 AM

9. ." It's because they walked in the cold for that candy and feel it's an injustice after all their hard work. "

Spoken like a severe conservative Republican.

"You didn't build that!" :-)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 5, 2012 11:47:44 AM

10. Anybody who would intentionally encourage parents to make their children cry is mentally unstable and morally bankrupt.
    Anybody who finds it amusing should have their judgement questioned. -David

Posted by: David Hammond | Nov 5, 2012 11:51:30 AM

11. @Derrick, I'm a European socialist, so you're completely off base! What the f**k does anything I say, have to do with conservatism, it has to do with my own personal sense of Justice. What these parents are doing is just plain stupid, and cruel! It also shows a complete lack of maturity.

Posted by: Quest | Nov 5, 2012 11:58:56 AM

12. Not funny.

Although, our children loved to go trick or treating, but ate very little of the candy. Each year, we tossed most of it.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 5, 2012 12:12:46 PM

13. "@Derrick, I'm a European socialist, so you're completely off base!"

I'm glad.

...didn't mean anything personal, Quest. It's just that Conservatives are always telling us how hard they worked--all through the cold night. You'd think they were a bunch of right-wing hookers.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 5, 2012 12:25:03 PM

14. Here we go again. I LMFAO! And the family that pranks together stays together. "You are brushing their psyche and making them sligjtly less capable of joyyyyy!" Calm down! It's candy!! And the last two are so adorable it is sick!! If I had kids I would prank the eff outta them, just like my parents did. And just like I did to my parents.

Posted by: AJ | Nov 5, 2012 2:00:54 PM

15. They're children. Children cry quite often. Maybe it's important to establish what's important---is candy worth crying over? Yes I realize that a child's perspective differs from an adult's. I'm sure these kids were upset for a minute or two, got their candy back, and forgot about it 5 minutes later. Some of you need to relax.

And yes, the kids at the end are wonderful.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 5, 2012 2:06:29 PM

16. @DRMIKEY: I know nothing about child psychology and I steeled myself for a few bad reactions, but I think you are correct. Those last three children and their sweet reactions are a reflection on the values they are being taught. The rest of those kids? Whew! Future republicons all.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 5, 2012 2:10:05 PM

17. @ Quest, you're ascribing these kids a rather sophisticated (in other words 'adult') ability to reason. How many 5-10 year olds do you know who can discern and process causality? From a kids point of view, they dressed up as their favorite whatever, and went out and got treats for it. As far as they know, those treats are theirs and theirs alone, likely a singular focus. Remember how fun it was for you to sort and organize your haul? How you got to decide which was the best and which you didn't like? Which ones you'd save for later and how many, if your parents would allow, you'd eat right now? All of that is a singular, exciting, nothing-else-matters focus.

Kids place absolute trust in their parents. Kids are generally territorial, and when given a gift (or treats in this case) don't have the fear or awareness that their treats might be eaten by mom & dad. It doesn't even cross their radar. So when it happens, kids will react in only a few ways, demonstrated by this small sample Kimmel presented.

There's one segment where the buckets of candy were immediately returned with an 'aww.. just kidding'. The kids went immediately from mad to happy. IMHO (that's an Ozierism - thx KO) it shows kids haven't yet developed an ability to handle complex ideas about causality, security, trust, satisfaction, etc.

Personally, I thought the clips were hilarious, and a few poignant and surprisingly mature. But, that's because I believe none of the parents -actually- ate all their kids' candy.

Posted by: NielM SF | Nov 5, 2012 2:17:54 PM

18. WTF is a 'European' socialist? As opposed to an Asian socialist, North American socialist, South American socialist, etc.

And what's a 'European'? That's not a nationality or ethnicity. 99% of North Americans don't say 'I'm North American', they say 'I'm Canadian' or 'I'm American'.

The skit was silly but harmless. Some people need to LIGHTEN UP. Why so serious?

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 5, 2012 2:18:34 PM

19. In Derrick's world, nobody has actually earned everything and you must give him a portion of what you worked for because of the bald assertion that "you didn't build that."

Because we all know it's impossible to have actually earned something.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 5, 2012 2:35:00 PM

20. "In Derrick's world, nobody has actually earned everything and you must give him a portion of what you worked"

No. No. You're confusing me with the right-wing hookers.

"Because we all know it's impossible to have actually earned something"

Oh, bullsh.t. I never said that. For instance, Willard Romney has earned a great deal...from his bank accounts in Switzerland and the Caymans. What a patriot.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 5, 2012 2:51:29 PM

21. News flash: Some kids just aren't into candy. They're into dressing up on Halloween. Those are the ones at the and who didn't really care. Not every kid has a sweet tooth!

Posted by: Rob | Nov 5, 2012 4:44:54 PM

22. My parents routinely ate all of my candy. After about two days I was done, and wanted nothing of it, but really wanted some chips.

This wouldn't have phased me.

Posted by: mason | Nov 5, 2012 5:25:51 PM

23. "It's alright, I just want you to feel happy."
    If I was his Mother I would have started crying when he said that, how freaking great is that kid!?

Posted by: Thomas | Nov 5, 2012 8:53:33 PM

24. that was funny and cute- some of you should work on growing a sense of humor. Seriously, even if they had eaten the candy, it's not like they are depriving them of actual food or shelter or anything necessary.

And oy- some of those kids are going to be real gems in highschool attitude wise

Posted by: MaddM@ | Nov 5, 2012 9:13:49 PM

25. It's not a matter of growing a sense of humor. I just do not like this sort of "adult" "humor" perpetrated on children. I didn't like it when my father did this to me. It got less funny year after year. I especially didn't like it when my elementary school classmates repeated their parent's behavior at school (ususally with the teacher's cooperation). Call it what is is: bullying. My father "justified" his actions as trying to make a man out of me. There is, however, a big difference between bullying and not being a pushover. I certainly thank my mother for teaching me the difference.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 6, 2012 2:55:55 AM