UPS Dumps the Boy Scouts Over its Anti-Gay Policies

The UPS Foundation, which gave $167,000 to various Boy Scouts of America entities in 2010, said today that the organization is no longer eligible for grants due to its anti-gay policies, GLAAD reports:

UpsThe UPS Foundation posted the following on its site:

The UPS Foundation seeks to support organizations that are in alignment with our focus areas, guidelines, and non-discrimination policy. UPS and The UPS Foundation do not discriminate against any person or organization with regard to categories protected by applicable law, as well as other categories protected by UPS and The UPS Foundation in our own policies. These include, but are not limited to race, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or military status, pregnancy, age and religion.

UPS confirmed to GLAAD that under these guidelines, which UPS said have been in development for several months, organizations that are unable to attest to having a policy or practices that align with the Foundation’s non-discrimination policy will no longer be considered eligible for funding.

Comments

1. HadenoughBS says

Good for UPS dumping their financial support for the homophobic-ridden BSA organization. Now that move is what I call real honest-to-God “American values”.

2. mark says

Good for ups!

It would be awesome to see former eagle scouts, parents and corporate donors pull together and start a new boy scouts minus the hate and exclusion.

3. Mark says

Thank you UPS for taking a stand against discrimination. I miss my Chic-fil-A sandwich but have a much better social taste in my mouth for not spending my hard earned non-discriminating money there.

4. Chuck says

It’s funny how people can profess to be gay and Christian. That’s like saying, “jumbo shrimp” or “army intelligence”. Homosexuality is a sin in God’s sight. Read your Bible (or maybe you have a revised version to fit your lifestyle).
    BSA teaches boys to be morally straight. Homosexuality is immoral in the sight of God, the God for which this country was founded. To allow and/or embrace homosexuality would be totally against the foundation of BSA. I applaud them for sticking to their values. UPS has lost my business.

5. Bill Michael says

This is for Chuck. The New Testament, the one with Jesus, says to “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” and to “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” You’d understand this if you knew anything about Jesus.

6. says

I find it amusing and disgusting that people like Chuck would throw out some lame-assed comment like “or maybe you have a revised version…” What the hell does he think he reads?!? That’s assuming that he actually DOES read the bible. People like Chuck haven’t the first clue about the history of that book; instead they run around with the delusion that God himself sat down at his computer, openned Word and wrote the Word. Pathetic. Its a sure bet that he’s never read the whole thing, never studied the history of the bible or the Christian faith, and never read the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Apocrypha, or the Catholic, Coptic, or Eastern Orthodox versions. I have, and own copies of all of them. All the more reason why Chuck and his ilk are the perfect example of why they created the bumpersticker: Jesus Save Me From Your Followers.
    Chuck, if your God exists I’m thinking that you are more likely to find yourself left behind than welcomed. Perhaps you should read Matthew 7:22-23 – and while you’re at it, think on this: Judge not, lest ye be judged…
    As for the BSA, it was NOT founded as a Christian group. I ought to know, I was a Boy Scout and Cub Scout during the late 60’s to late 70’s, eventually acheiving the Order of the Arrow. My step-father and uncle were Scouts, and then scout camp directors from the late 1940’s through 1980. The reason they both quit was because of the takeover by the Mormon and Catholic churches, and the resulting corruption of the original Scouting ideals of loyalty, honor, self discipline and self reliance, service to others and patriotism.
    What exists as Scouting today is a farce, and a shameful one at that. Or do you think it merely a coincidence that the rash of sexual molestations running through Scouting ranks only began once you “Christians” fully took over?

7. sammie says

I just went to the UPS website and can’t find anything about this, used the site’s search engine, looked at postings since October. Where is this story on the site?

8. Diogenes Arktos says

@Chuck: I won’t begin to deal with your version of Christianity. However, there is more to Scouting than BSA. Unfortunately for you, other national organizations are gay-friendly, such as Canada, which has had a booth during Toronto’s Pride festivities.

9. A Scouter says

I fully support BSA and its current membership standards. BSA units (troops, crews, ships, etc.) have always had a few gay members. These matters were handled with discretion within the unit. Scouts and Scouters who have lied to become members of Scouting because of their openly gay lifestyles deserve to be dropped from Scouting, as they have violated the principles of Scouting at its very basic level. Re. UPS, I don’t use them anymore. I ship via FedEx or UPS. So UPS doesn’t get a dime from me.