Anti-Gay Sen. Crapo Apologizes After Drunk Driving Arrest

CrapoMichael Crapo, an anti-gay Mormon Republican Senator from Idaho, has apologized after being arrested for drunk driving early Sunday morning.

“I am deeply sorry for the actions that resulted in this circumstance,” he said after being released on a $1,000 bond. The arrest came after Crapo ran a red light in Virginia.

He went on, “I made a mistake for which I apologize to my family, my Idaho
constituents and any others who have put their trust in me. I accept
total responsibility and will deal with whatever penalty comes my way in
this matter. I will also undertake measures to ensure that this
circumstance is never repeated.”

Crapo is one of the nine Republicans who filed an amicus brief to sustain DOMA earlier this year. He also also voted against repealing DADT, against a comprehensive hate crimes law and for a constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage. Wonder if we’ll ever get an apology for those mistakes…

Comments

1. HadenoughBS says

WTF….a drunk Mormon? Say it ain’t so, Angel Moroni. Surely Senator Crap-o believes in his Mormon belief against the evils of alcohol just as he upholds the belief against the evils of the GLBT community. Or, like Christianists and other extreme religionist, he picks and chooses which beliefs he’ll observe. What a hypocrit. And a Merry Christmas to you…NOT!

2. andrew says

Idaho’s conservative christian values senators either drink too much or attempt to suck c*ck in airport men’s rooms. The gods bless us with opponents like these.

3. barryearle says

Another religious Republican hypocrite whose constituents will no doubt re-elect him because he is so humble in his apology. Having said that, his apology is a model of what an apology should be, unlike most politicians who apologize IF they have offended someone. This guy at least admits he did something wrong, promises restitution and that it will never happen again. While I doubt the last part, at least he knows how to apologize.

As for apologizing for his stance against LGBT rights, I’m not holding my breath. But maybe this arrest was God’s Christmas gift to him…if I believed in God. But he does and who knows what might happen? Stay tuned!

4. FlexSF says

Senator Crapo’s apology doesn’t register one blip on the scale of sincerity. “I made a mistake for which I apologize to my family, my Idaho constituents and any others who have put their trust in me. …” He also played an effective role to manifest discrimination, sexism and homophobia. Maybe he will grow up and acknowledge how corrosive his existence has been. Until then, we have one less pious weasel who is being hoisted by his own making.

Conversely, the collective Republican party deserves to be held accountable for his drunken driving actions. Crapo’s bigotry and behavior is a systemic symptom of a greater problem within the Republican party, they don’t hold themselves to the same standards they expect us (the gays, and the feminists) to live up to. The other Republican zealots need to be pre-emptively called out, and their careers destroyed because the laws they’ve created continue to negatively impact our private lives.

5. SC David says

Ah, this cup of Christmas schadenfreude is mighty delicious. A nip of bourbon for yours?

One can only wish the story had included Messrs McConnell and DeMint, a bathroom glory hole and Edwin Edwards’ famous “live boy or a dead girl.”

Maybe next year?

6. anon says

I doubt this is the sort of thing he’ll have to pay any price for. While drunk driving is taken seriously per se, I don’t think it carries a political liability.

7. The Tipsy Justice says

Crapo is small potatoes. The far more interesting story is how many times Scalia has been “escorted” home without being cited. Start digging on that one.

8. Bernie says

another hypocrite! according to the news, Mr. Crappo’s religion does not permit him to drink alcohol and he once said he does not drink…wow another republican liar and hypocrite who hides behind his religion and uses it as a weapon of convenience… will he go to rehab??!!?!?