Lady Gaga | News | Russia

Lady Gaga To Moscow: 'You Can Be Gay In My House:' VIDEO

Gagamoscow

Fierce equality advocate Lady Gaga worked gay rights into her show in Moscow last night. Gaga had previously thanked Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev for rejecting conservative laws banning "homosexual propaganda," and last night told the crowd that they need not fear hate when she's around. She also thanked Moscow at large for supporting love.

A slightly edited transcript of her remarks, via Radio Free Europe:

You know, I can't even really believe that you're all here, because when they first called me they were like, "We want you to go to Russia but, you know, we might have some problems because of all the gay propaganda in your show." But I want to thank you. I want to thank you, Moscow. Thank you for spreading the message of equality around the world. Thank you for spreading...the message of "Born This Way."

...Get on your feet. Stand up, Russia. You have one chance...to unite. You have one night to come together for the voice of society, for equality in Moscow, equality in Russia. So stand up for yourself or stand up for your friends. Where's all my gay kids tonight? Tonight, this is my house, Russia. You can be gay in my house. And if you ever need me, Moscow, I will just be a telephone call away.

Watch video of Gaga's remarks as well as similar comments from her gig in St. Petersburg, where a "homosexual propaganda" law has passed, AFTER THE JUMP, though be warned she used not-for-work language.

Comments

1. Something madonna will never do.

Posted by: joeymonster | Dec 13, 2012 9:48:08 AM

2. You mean the way Madonna did at her St. Petersburg concert, which prompted a group to sue her for "harming Russia's procreational future?"

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 13, 2012 9:53:51 AM

3. Lady Gaga is to the gay community what Luther Martin was to the Black community.

Posted by: joeymonster | Dec 13, 2012 10:02:14 AM

4. You know, I'm sick of hearing how Gaga has no talent and is a Madonna copy. Let me tell you, Gaga has a hundred times more musical talent than Madonna and as for the shock value to her shows, that was going on WAY before Madonna ever copied it. Another thing Gaga has going for her is her devotion to equal rights and her tireless efforts to fight bigotry. I don't recall Madonna EVER doing that. Madonna is fine and has talent but Gaga just does it better with more musicality and a WAY better voice and more focus on righting what's wrong.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 13, 2012 10:15:03 AM

5. Every time I read a monster comment, I become more and more convinced that fans of Gaga are required to be ignorant of all things not Gaga, and write at least one hateful sentence about Madonna per day.

Kinda funny to watch the lil moronic monsters make fools of themselves like that. But mostly just sad...

"Luther Martin". lol

Sad...

Posted by: DeeperStill | Dec 13, 2012 10:15:56 AM

6. NEWS FLASH: Some people love them BOTH. Last concert I went to was Madonna. Next one I'm going to is Gaga. They stand on their own merits. Madonna and I have a history that Gaga will not be a part of. And Gaga is always new and fresh and exciting and has such fierce talent and audacity it blows me away. Btt let's get this straight, kids. There would be no Gaga without Madonna paving the way for her; something that even Gaga admits.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 13, 2012 10:21:09 AM

7. They are a lot like republicans, these monsters (4 real), right?

Very sad.

Posted by: DeeperStill | Dec 13, 2012 10:22:10 AM

8. And I'd like to see ANY of you fierce keyboard warriors have the guts to go into a gay-hating country and have the guts to stand up and expose yourself on a stage in front of thousands of people and be an advocate for equality. Let's be real here. Both Madonna and Gaga have done that and they should both be applauded for it.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 13, 2012 10:23:37 AM

9. I like them both. Very much, actually. Gaga IS fierce, as is Madonna.

I'm just not stupid.

Posted by: DeeperStill | Dec 13, 2012 10:26:58 AM

10. Monsters Ball Tour is bigger than MDNA tour...by far.

Posted by: joeymonster | Dec 13, 2012 10:28:42 AM

11. Aw, Joey... You are precious. Now read this:

And then feast your eyes on this:

And then go to bed already...

Posted by: DeeperStill | Dec 13, 2012 10:38:52 AM

12. I think Madonna fans are bitte4 cause they are all HIV positive.

Posted by: joeymonster | Dec 13, 2012 10:41:56 AM

13. Way to prove you're not a hateful, lowlife moron, Joey.

What are you, anyway? 11?

Posted by: DeeperStill | Dec 13, 2012 10:45:09 AM

14. It's really unfortunate that Madonna and Lady Gaga's message of equality and unity is ruined by the very people they are standing up for. Not all but some.

Gay people everywhere are benefitting from either one of their gay rights efforts no matter how small or large their contribution or who did whatever first. If you're a fan of either, you should carry out the message they preach and come together. Grow up.

Posted by: Marc Patlan | Dec 13, 2012 10:49:27 AM

15. Why is she talking with that weird accent?... what is that.

Posted by: yoyo | Dec 13, 2012 11:20:07 AM

16. "Where's all my gay kids tonight? Tonight, this is my house, Russia. You can be gay in my house. And if you ever need me, Moscow, I will just be a telephone call away."

This is so typical of straight women and their attitudes, especially fag hags. They view gay men as possessions, pets, and children ("my gay kids"). They imagine themselves to be "protectors" of gay men.....when the only reason they can get away with what they do is that they are straight women and therefore beneficiaries of the code of chivalry that straight men apply to them (which they do not apply to gay men).

They would never reference straight men in such condescending terms, because they actually have respect for them as men.

And pathetically some gay men--mostly effeminate gay men--are so lacking in courage and self-esteem--or just so foolish--that they actually applaud this kind of condescension and disrespect instead of recognizing it for what it really is.

The gay men who are fighting for their rights in Russia face very real dangers and are displaying amazing courage every day--and praising this condescending, self-involved little woman who is protected from any consequences for her actions not only by chivalry, but by the fact that she is a celebrity and a foreigner (and an American at that) is truly disgusting

Posted by: Rick | Dec 13, 2012 11:36:11 AM

17. This is typical Caca--making all about HER instead of the cause she is trying to celebrate. Her whole "I love the gay" shtick is a massive marketing campaign. She is trying to deal with a career that is bombing. Her South American dates have bombed and there are THOUSANDS of tickets left for her North American shows.

Posted by: GeorgeVilla | Dec 13, 2012 12:07:06 PM

18. One of Obama/Hillary's opposition parties in the Ukraine wants a bill to gas gays. Snakes in the White House, as usual.

Posted by: jolo | Dec 13, 2012 12:24:03 PM

19. Come visit the new Lady Gaga fan site so we can all trash Taylor Swift:

Posted by: littlemonsterartpop | Dec 13, 2012 1:52:45 PM

20. Well all of the resident trolls on Towleroad just showed up for this one thread. Makes me wonder if they're the aliases of one crazy person.

Posted by: MateoM | Dec 13, 2012 2:24:13 PM

21. Just another publicity stunt from Gaga. She is pathetic now. She started out very well but she has just become totally self absorbed and too far removed from the real lives of her fans.

She is always TALKING but not actually DOING anything for the gays. She's just another straightie who wants our money but she doesn't actually do a thing for us.

ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS Gaga !

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 13, 2012 3:04:25 PM

22. Icebloo, that's a comment I do not understand but hear quite often. It's a publicity stunt snd she just wants our money. Estimates say that maybe 10% of the population identifies as gay, and that's being generous according to some trains of thought. How, then, is marketing yourself to such a small demographic in any way profitable or smart from a business standpoint?

Even if her message is a publicity stunt, it still gets through. Regardless of the motives behind it she has shone a spotlight on the LGBT community and promoted a message of equality and unity. Yes, some of her fans are terrible little jerks, and yes, some of Madonna's are, too. That doesn't mean they all are, and it doesn't mean that there aren't people of all ages out there who need to hear someone with her popularity and influence say these things. When I was a depressed gay teen growing up in a rural Baptist town in Florida, no one said these things. No one acknowledged gay people in a positive way, let alone went as far as to tell their audience that it was something to celebrate and be proud of. I think 13 year old me would have been over the moon to hear that message, without thinking twice whether it was genuine or not.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 13, 2012 5:02:20 PM

23. @rick 'This is so typical of straight women and their attitudes, especially fag hags.'
    Gaga is neither a fag hag or a straight woman. she's bisexual. I understand the anger many people feel toward superficial straight 'allies' who just want to be part of the glamor of subculture, but understand that Gaga is not one of them. She is a queer woman standing up for HER OWN community.

Posted by: jesse | Dec 13, 2012 7:16:43 PM

24. It's all there in the first 5 seconds.

Posted by: Brion | Dec 14, 2012 1:02:39 AM

25. Lady Gaga? Oh yeah. I remember her.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Dec 14, 2012 2:02:49 AM