Comments

1. Dan4444 says

I think it will change eventually. The Church of the Nazarene, like any other denomination, will change.

I’m really proud of this guy! I graduated from Trevecca Nazarene University. I was too afraid to come out because I didn’t want to lose my scholarship (plus I never met gay people and thought I was the only one). I’m glad he’s trying to create a place where people can meet and talk.

2. Michael says

The Church of the Nazarene will never change. It is about as cult-like as a church can get. They do, indeed, excommunicate members who cone out as they did to me 12 years ago. Arminian theology is dangerous and represents a rejection of Christ’s Grace, but exclusivity is a central tenet of both that church and it’s theology. I suppose this kid is lucky that he wasn’t expelled as he would have been at nearly ever other Nazarene school. If he was trying this at Mount Vernon, he’d probably be found face down in the campus’s lake.

3. Andrew says

I work at a ballroom dance studio in San Diego, and we have a dance social every Friday night. During the school year, a group of students from Point Loma Nazarene come to the studio, primarily dancing West Coast Swing. This group was also denied a charter at their school because dancing is against the beliefs of the Nazarene. I agree with Chadd in that it’s best just to part ways with this school. If they’ve gone this long without budging on dancing, they’re certainly not going to change with regards to us heathens.

4. Michael says

@Jamal Yep, dancing is forbidden. Going to the movie theater is forbidden. And boys and girls are not allowed to swim together in the same poll. They call it “sexual bathing.”

5. MarkRocks says

How unfortunate the three people at the University, in charge of student development and diversity, are bigots. Jeff Bolster, Jeff Carr, and Catherine Smith are each members of a professional organization which, “does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, gender identity, gender expression, affectional or sexual orientation, or disability in any of its policies, programs, and services.” It’s too bad these three bigots haven’t learned anything from professional best practices. You might want to write to the organization (Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education) and suggest the group drop the three individuals and the school – there’s a clear conflict with the organizational mission. Organization President: Kevin Kruger, kkruger@naspa.org

6. rexguy says

I am also surprised he has not been expelled. I am a graduate of Olivet Nazarene University. I was closeted during college. While I was there I know of two students that were expelled after being caught in their dorm room kissing or something sexual. When I attended, you could not wear blue jeans, we had curfews (girls dorms were even more strict), a female could not enter any male dorm room and vice versa, if you were caught going to a club you were expelled. Not sure they are still this way, but my guess is still not far from it.

I also grew up going to the Nazarene church. There is NO chance whatsoever that this school or denomination will change it’s stance on homosexuality. I would suspect that if a specific church or Nazarene college that would try to change it’s LGBT views it would be excommunicated from the Nazarene church.

The Nazarene church teaches bigotry… they would never admit that obviously… they would say we love you but hate the sin. My parents made me go to Exodus International for counseling when I was forced out by my mother, this decision heavily influenced by the Nazarene church we attended.

For this guy to do this took some major balls.. and I commend him for it. It sadly however will not make a difference.

7. Michael says

@RexGuy — It looks like we had similar experiences. I could tell you stories that would either hit too close to home or would make you feel absolutely dejected at realizing that’s what we were brought up in.