2012 Election | Ari Ezra Waldman | News | Republican Party

Towleroad's Legal Editor Ari Waldman Talks to Waywire About the Republican Party and Gay Voters: VIDEO

Ari_waldman

Towleroad's legal editor Ari Ezra Waldman talks to Waywire's Baruch Shemtov about the recent election, the Republican Party, and the gay vote. Waywire is the video news-sharing service co-created by Newark Mayor Cory Booker.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @at LittleKiwi: I think you have discerned and adequately discussed the situation. The GOP is a backward group of haters who probably would pass something like the Uganda bill if they could. Thank you for extremely good comments.

Posted by: Goodcarver | Dec 4, 2012 1:19:52 PM

2. @at LittleKiwi: I think you have discerned and adequately discussed the situation. The GOP is a backward group of haters who probably would pass something like the Uganda bill if they could. Thank you for extremely good comments.

Posted by: Goodcarver | Dec 4, 2012 1:19:54 PM

3. as for "having a republican friend", i wholly understand your situation and that, frankly, beggars can't be choosers.

i get it. you don't have the luxury of choosing to associate and spend your time with people with integrity who respect you. but that's not actually my fault.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 4, 2012 1:26:11 PM

4. Kiwi : ARE you American or not ?

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 1:27:54 PM

5. I don't like how Ari makes it seem like Republicans are the party who have the answers to the economic crisis and the dems are pro-gay. I think jobs, economy, debt are more important than gay rights, but I think the Dems have much better solutions for these problems than republicans. My thinking about it, my values, may be informed by being gay-- the notion of fairness, my thoughts against corporate oligarchy, respect for the opressed classes etc. So I don't get how he frames his if you are gay, you have to prioritize being gay above the economy when you consider dem v. rep. Being gay should inform your values, I would think.

PS when they make the ari movie, will they cast patrick dempsey?

Posted by: dms | Dec 4, 2012 1:31:01 PM

6. Aaaand now I'll be late for class but whatever. Guess I'll just circle back to my original point, which is that we would be well advised to steer well clear of any 47% mentality and associated hyperbole about Those People (I'm guessing everyone here knows that rhetoric when they see it).

That dismissive attitude a) ignores the reality/nuance of the current political landscape, and b) is plainly counter-productive from a realpolitik standpoint. I want to win this fight for equality and I think we will -- but not by leaving stones unturned.

Posted by: Lars | Dec 4, 2012 1:34:59 PM

7. hey, YUPP, feel free to provide the URL to your own page so we can all get the proper info on you, and make sure you yourself are american, by putting a face to your comments.

i'm a proud canadian who like many in my homeland takes care to learn about what's going on elsehwhere in the world. especially the US, where i occasionally live and work.

do you know what would make the GOP change their stance? if gay republicans and those "non-bigoted" republicans grew some spines and said "we're not voting for you this time"

if you don't give the party a REASON to change, it will not change. as long as you keep voting for the party while they promote anti-gay prejudice, you're not doing enough to change them.

don't give them your votes. give them THAT wake up call.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 4, 2012 1:37:28 PM

8. Actually, I'm generally anti-Republican. My point is : why are YOU so interested in foreign politics? Same for the other foreign dudes here (some of who live in countries with far more gay rights than in the U.S.) Why do you folks often go onto U.S. blogs to stir up dissent ?

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 1:40:32 PM

9. YUPP - i look forward to you providing the URL to your own page so we can all see you in your patriotic american brilliance :)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 4, 2012 1:40:50 PM

10. Why ? I told you I'm an American. I'm not posting on Canadian blogs.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 1:42:57 PM

11. And if you were so interested in the U.S. gay scene (because of, as you say, your company sends you here to work sometimes) you'd certainly be covering other relevant issues, instead of this lame-o usual Republocrat stuff.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 1:45:10 PM

12. here's my question - why ignore the words of someone who comes from a country that is decades ahead of your own on issues of LGBT Equality?

i'm interested in foreign politics because my deplorable socialist education and upbringing in Canada taught me to know, and care, about what's going on elsewhere in the world especially when it comes to affronts to human rights.

am i supposed to apologize for this? it's not my fault my canuck @ss knows more about US policy than many voting americans.

i don't stir up dissent. that's the GOP's job.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 4, 2012 1:46:46 PM

13. I'm kinda with Little Kiwi here...and I'm a Republican...albeit under current Republican philosophy I'm more of a RINO than anything. The Republicans are not good fiscally; they're lazy when it comes to economics (just look at this 'fiscal cliff' brouha, where they have no plan just repeated ruinous talking points)...always going for the quick fix and what can make them the most money in the shortest amount of time--They are literally the Fred Flintstones and Ralph Cramdens. This has been shown over and over during the last 30 years starting when Reagan introduced us to "Trickle Down" and where lean/mean corporate downsizing and corporate takeovers were the norm. In the short-term people made lots of money only to lose it in recessions after each Republican President left office--one spectacularly just recently and which is going to take 20 years to recover from. In the last 30 years there was only one Democratic President and he had the smarts to actually give us something AFTER he left in addition to giving Americans a good living while he was President. I'm kinda thinking Obama will do the same. The tide has turned and Republicans have left fiscal conservatives in the dirt, to paraphrase Ronnie R. Even the "gay thing" is being re-considered in the GOP as a losing bet--although I think it'll probably go underground and be less obvious.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Dec 4, 2012 1:51:30 PM

14. Well you SURE as f--k don't care about gay bigotry in the U.S., the murder rate amongst gays, nor about other homophobic countries (Uganda, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia, Russia...). You should just stay in Canada and enjoy yourself. Refuse the work when they try to send you to the U.S. And drop this obssession about Dems/Repubs/straight-acting/gay-acting which...I might agree with...but is irrelevant to you.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 1:52:30 PM

15. i never said my company sends me to work here. dude, were you homeschooled or is your chosen obsession with me blinding your ability to read?

and you'll be happy to know a report i worked on regarding studying gay men and gay/queer identity is about to be published.

so, werk.

yes. you told me your american. but you didn't prove it. show me your papers!!! (jan brewer, anyone? no? anyone?)

i asked you to prove it. or are you one of those who likes to make their comments anonymously? i remember surpassing you in the 9th grade. good to know you're still trying.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 4, 2012 1:54:14 PM

16. What's "werk" ? Why do you sometimes live and work in the U.S. if not for a company sending you here (since you despise it)? And, seriously, can I find posts of yours all over African American blogs calling them out on their homophobia? How about Towleroad posts on Uganda ? On Saudi-American blogs protesting the hangings of gay men? (I think you need to just enjoy your luxury of living in lilly white and Asian homo-friendly Canada, dude, instead of coming here..)

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 1:59:48 PM

17. don't criticize me anonymously. provide the URL to your own page where you, instead, show all the amazing work that you feel i should be doing instead.

;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 4, 2012 2:00:46 PM

18. Nope. I'm gonna criticize you anonymously. Because it doesn't matter who I am. Just that people can agree with me (Mr. Anon) about YOU, or disagree.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 2:02:38 PM

19. oh, i get it. one of those anonymous wimps who obsesses over those of us who don't live with that brand of cowardice.

yes. exactly. you're so tough while under your burqa :D

just so you know this is why your family is ashamed of you. it's not because you're gay. it's because you're such a wimp about it.

;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 4, 2012 2:06:33 PM

20. Kiwi : Give me the Canadian blog you post on so I can come there everyday and put in my two-cents over Canadian politics.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 2:09:18 PM

21. Is kiwi a crazy problem? If half of the comments on a post are all his defending/attacking people...

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 4, 2012 2:09:48 PM

22. Fenrox : Kiwi might actually make good sense sometimes. But it's irrelevant. He's got a strange obssession with politics (American) which have nothing to do with him. I know ALL countries are interconnected, but....

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 2:13:34 PM

23. I mean...I'll admit, I sometimes criticize certain European countries for bending over backwards for Muslim-immigrant homophobia, but....it's not for me to be on their blogs ALL the time about it. If Europe goes THAT way, I'll just be glad I'm here and not there. I'll be very sad, but... Anyway, etc.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 2:16:20 PM

24. Good god, Look at your post:

"oh, i get it. one of those anonymous wimps who obsesses over those of us who don't live with that brand of cowardice.

yes. exactly. you're so tough while under your burqa :D

you, as an american, should be out representing LGBT Equality. rather than anonymously coming online to complain that a Canadian is doing more work than you."

That's not ok man, you are a bully. If you object to that term then jerk would fit.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 4, 2012 2:22:03 PM

25. Fenrox : I will admit that his imaginings about others he only knows as a name on a blog ARE kind of.....odd...

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 4, 2012 2:24:38 PM