Boston | Law - Gay, LGBT | News | Vandalism

Boston Law School LGBT Group Vandalized with Vulgar Graffiti

Bostonlaw

The office of the Lambda Law Students Association at Boston Law School was vandalized over the weekend by someone eager to demonstrate the breadth of their potty mouth vocabulary, Above the Law's David Lat reports.

One Lambda Law member told the blog that it isn't the first time: "This seems to indicate a systemic issue that the undergraduate body has with racism and homophobia, as opposed to a reflection on the law school’s students or administration. I have never encountered anything but openness and acceptance at BCLS and refuse to believe that this recent incident was committed by a member of our community."

Dean Vincent D. Rougeau released a statement:

The cowardly act of vandalism that was discovered this morning is reprehensible and runs counter to everything we stand for as a law school. We are working closely with the Boston College and Newton Police in the hope of resolving the matter, which occurred over the weekend in an unlocked room in an unlocked building. I have attached a copy of letter that I have distributed to all members of the BC community.

Comments

1. You're a law student. You refuse to believe it was a fellow law student and had to be an undergraduate student? When you're a lawyer you're not going to be able to prove your case simply by saying you believe yourself to be right but present absolutely no evidence.

Posted by: David | Jan 23, 2013 10:37:27 PM

2. Something similar happened on our campus a ten years ago, and much like the two apologist posters who want to overlook thousands of cases of anti gay crimes, and drudge up the significantly less amount of cases where an LGBT was responsible for "attention seeking"....the police easily dismissed it and blamed it on us, and said it was an inside job. Well, that little theory changed when they caught the guy who did it weeks later after he was assaulting a gay student on campus.
    Homophobia DOES exist folks. I know some of you have been pampered all your life in Manhatten with nothing but supportive rich people around you. But the rest of us do deal with homophobia, and often, and don't apologize for bigots.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 23, 2013 11:07:36 PM

3. @David: I had turned 18 a week or two before starting college, and some freshmen are 17 years old. The sort of immature behavior shown in that graffiti is more typical of a 17 year old guy than someone in his early 20s. In addition, the people who get into law school, med school, or graduate school are generally those who took their classes seriously, which generally implies that they spent their undergraduate years studying, not goofing off or partying.

While it could have been done by anyone, the chances that it was done by someone serious enough to get into law school, graduate school, or whatever is very small - people that focused
    usually don't spend their time on childish pranks.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 24, 2013 12:24:05 AM

4. The writing looks fishy-too neat and colorful to have been vandals. I smell a set up from an gay insider!

Posted by: nikko | Jan 24, 2013 12:29:08 AM

5. Kind of forgetting this happened at BC. Good chances it was a severely closeted music major. Having gone to a Boston-area school, they're basically known as "coded gays".

Posted by: Sam | Jan 24, 2013 1:29:11 AM

6. Beyond lame. Whoever the vandal was should be ashamed for lack of creativity and just generally being a loser.

Posted by: unruly | Jan 24, 2013 1:40:14 AM

7. @Sam: while many straight guys may not know those some of those terms, many, many years ago, the first time I heard the one starting with 'f' and ending in "ing' (would spell it but am wary of Towleroad's filters), was explained to me by a straight guy in gory detail, and that was the first time I heard of it. He also was going on about anal sex in general and how he had had a girlfriend who liked it. When it was humorously pointed out that he better be careful because there wasn't much of a difference between a male butt and a female butt, and it was only a short step down the "slippery slope", he (jokingly defensively?) said that he didn't like doing that but had to to keep his girlfriend happy. The good news - he wasn't homophobic - he was just young enough to think any crude remark about sex was funny.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 24, 2013 2:29:18 AM

8. Bill: While those are valid points, their time is better spent actually trying to find the culprit(s) rather than moronically pointing fingers and trying to save their "reputation".

The idiotic implications that just because someone is in law school (or has a degree) that they are suddenly exempt from racism and homophobia are still there. All you have to do is look at Antonin Scalia's disgusting actions throughout his career.

Posted by: Morty | Jan 24, 2013 2:39:02 AM

9. I read that several other minority student group offices were also vandalized over the weekend.

So, there you go. Now I fully believe this was a hate incident, and given the Boston College Law campus is shared with general-college freshman dorms, it was probably one or two of those 17-19 year old kids who did this, thinking they were being funny by writing these sexual terms, and only exposing their immaturity. Law students are more or less likely to be way above doing something this idiotic compared to a freshman kid. It definitely isn't an inside job, and given other officers were damaged, the attacker was probably not gay and yet a stupid straight kid thinking he or she was funny by writing these terms all over. Doors were unlocked and an idiot(s) took advantage. Hopefully the vandal is caught and this incident is used to start/further the conversation of homophobia at Boston College and how to fully stamp it out.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 24, 2013 2:39:36 AM

10. Where is the C word in this story and these comments? BC is a Catholic school and very, very conservative. My kid was appalled during his interview there and walked out.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 24, 2013 6:50:58 AM

11. It looks suspiciously like someone in the LGBT community did this to get some attention, sorry to say.

Posted by: Ken | Jan 24, 2013 8:33:08 AM

12. Sorry. I laughed all night about this. This is the most polite "vandal" in history. Not only is there a lack of derogatory terms, but they did this on a whiteboard. Umm. Erase it! I also tried to picture coming home and finding the same spray-painted on my garage. I cannot picture doing anything but laughing really hard and adding a few of my own. "Fanny bandit" is my personal favorite, so I would add that. I would also remove the garage door and try to sell it to the Walker Art Center for big bucks.

Posted by: AJ | Jan 24, 2013 8:57:27 AM

13. I'm thinking this was some sort of contest. One person with a blue pen, one with a red one. A game of one-upmanship. I bet drinking was involved.

Posted by: BobN | Jan 24, 2013 10:03:59 AM

14. Too many "in-the-know" words on that board for me not to be suspicious but, then again, I've been surprised as to what straight folks know and don't know about gay lingo before.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jan 24, 2013 11:01:14 AM

15. The words here make me wonder about this. I don't think your average homophobe vandal would use some of these words--and in different colored markers?

Posted by: db | Jan 24, 2013 11:53:18 AM

16. It's not 'Boston Law School', it's Boston COLLEGE Law School.

I see these students by the boatload everyday, and there are more than a few gay. They may be attending a Catholic university, but this is [Boston] a very cosmopolitan place.

This incident is dubious at best. I really hate to say it, but looks like another fake hate crime. This kind of sh*t only makes it more difficult for gays or any other group who engage in provocative fake hate crimes.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 24, 2013 1:01:54 PM

17. And if there were additional vandalizm incidents at other 'minority' clubs during the same time period, it wouldn't be inconceivable [at least to my jaded self] that a group of 'advocates' decided to pull off a series of 'hate' crimes to attract attention. Fact is, real hate crimes are few and far between around here [aside from hate crimes that may be directed at a 'majority'(?) person], in which case they're always dismissed. The 'advocates' need to keep things fresh and keep the 'community' radicalized and on edge.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 24, 2013 1:06:52 PM

18. @Morty: it is not "idiotic" to point out that a higher percentage of 17 year olds engage in such childish behavior that graduate students or law students. Trying to find the culprits is a search problem and there are known advantages to using "best first" search strategies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm has an introduction in a purely technical (and hence hopefully not controversial) context.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 24, 2013 4:36:41 PM

19. Having gone to BCLS and having chaired the Lambda group there, it would shock me to learn this this was done by a BC Law student, and in particular a gay law student seeking attention. While BC is a Jesuit school and while the undergraduate administration and campus is more conservative certainly than the administration, faculty, and students on the law school campus, it is still a pretty large, decently ranked law school with a diverse student body. I didn't find it to be altogether different than my undergraduate experience at a non-Jesuit school. They like to drink, go to football games, etc. just like most college students. And the law school was, for the most part, entirely welcoming and open to gay students and we always had incredible support from the student body and faculty at the law school.

While it is likely just some idiotic college nonsense, I fail to see why anyone should be dismissing it or pointing fingers at alleged attention seeking gay law students.

When I was there, we had locks on the doors to the student offices. Apparently that is not the case anymore. Hopefully that will change. It is nice to see that they haven't updated the furniture though.

Posted by: BCLS | Jan 24, 2013 6:39:21 PM

20. And just to clarify, this office is one floor above the "common room" and cafeteria for the freshmen who live in the dorms on the law school campus. All they have to do is walk up the steps to get to those offices.

Posted by: BCLS | Jan 24, 2013 6:41:14 PM

21. Seems that the Neanderthals missed scribbling one of my favorite gay slurs once told to me about a third person while I was in law school by this pretty clueless (about me & a whole universe of other matters) dunce: "sperm-gulper." Although I have to say that these Pleistocene remnants were enough of throwbacks to put in that tried-n-true zinger "inter-racial" it seems. All in a day's work for the truly stunted in our midst!

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Jan 24, 2013 8:21:39 PM

22. Most writing on law is like a gas: it expands to fill the space given to it. But a new ebook by journalism trainer Cleland Thom bucks the trend, and it’s all the better for it.

Posted by: traffic lawyers | Jan 25, 2013 12:31:27 AM