Boy Scouts | News

Boy Scouts Taking Phone Calls, Email Feedback on Gay Ban

BsaThe Boy Scouts of America are taking feedback from the public as they consider putting an end to their ban on gay scouts and leaders. Their board is scheduled to discuss the matter next Wednesday. Right wing groups are already churning their followers to take action.

Calls are being answered at the National Service Desk at 972-580-2330. A representative will answer and ask if you are for or against the policy change.

Emails are also being accepted at nationalsupportcenter@scouting.org (this is a CORRECTION as the earlier email information was wrong).

GLAAD also suggests posting a message of support on their Facebook page.

(via the dallas voice)

Comments

1. It only take a couple of seconds.
    Call them and voice your support for the policy change.

Posted by: Edd | Jan 29, 2013 6:57:10 PM

2. Genius system.

Posted by: Paul | Jan 29, 2013 7:26:10 PM

3. Wow, there are some ugly, hateful comments on that Facebook post. Sadly, a majority of them.

Posted by: Thom Watson | Jan 29, 2013 7:30:01 PM

4. I don't think they have any choice but to change the policy, or they will lose almost all their funding.

Posted by: Anthony | Jan 29, 2013 7:31:36 PM

5. Never going to happen. There are still too many people that think gay men are sexual predators. I personally, don't need their pity, the damage is done and they have sparked more discussion by being exclusive than being inclusive. Us lowly, dirty, second-class citizens can fend for ourselves, thank you very much. Keep your silly club.

Posted by: Diogenes | Jan 29, 2013 7:39:07 PM

6. Step up. Now.

Posted by: melvin | Jan 29, 2013 7:47:11 PM

7. I keep calling but the phones are always jammed :-/

Posted by: Anders | Jan 29, 2013 7:58:06 PM

8. I'm an Eagle Scout, so I sent them an e-mail encouraging them to lift the ban.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 29, 2013 8:13:59 PM

9. I emailed and also posted a comment on their FB page.

Posted by: RONTEX | Jan 29, 2013 8:17:18 PM

10. Send them an email if you can not call.

Posted by: Scout | Jan 29, 2013 8:18:08 PM

11. I called and got a recording that said to send an email, but the on the recording seems to be: nationalsupportcenter@scouting.org.

Can you correct THE EMAIL ADDRESS in the post? I sent my email.

Posted by: RG | Jan 29, 2013 8:22:59 PM

12. And here's the email, simply:
    Dear Boy Scouts of America -
    Acceptance for gays in our society is happening. And it's happening NOW, no matter how upset it makes a vocal minority. Your choice: Be leaders, or be followers.

Posted by: shane | Jan 29, 2013 8:41:24 PM

13. I just sent my e-mail. I also shared the link on my FB page. Let the haters hate, I WILL take my movement back.

Posted by: Paul Kline | Jan 29, 2013 8:58:04 PM

14. Since I don't understand law, it still baffles me that the BSA is allowed to discriminate, and the Supreme Court approves of it. BSA is NOT a religious organization or entity, it is, legally, a corporation. Trivia: Did you know that the first religious organization to sponsor the BSA was the Mormon Church back in 1913? Seems we know where the BSA got their 'religious values'!!

Posted by: CB | Jan 29, 2013 9:37:54 PM

15. Both my father and grandfather were Eagle Scouts before me. It's been a great tradition, and we all learned invaluable skills in scouting that we have collectively applied in our personal, professional, and even spiritual lives. I would like for my son to also share the same experience, but he can't ...because I'm gay. I refuse to drop him off at a teenage daycare system. My father was a career officer in the US Army, so scouting was the only chance I got to spend time with him on the weekends. We have such busy schedules today that the little time we do have needs to be together.

I feel very sad the an organization capable of providing so much to young men, at the most vulnerable and impressionable time in their development, would deny anyone the experience of learning and applying the virtues of scouting.

Posted by: Leo | Jan 29, 2013 10:22:26 PM

16. Sent my email supporting allowing gay scouts. The hate-mongers and religious freaks are always gonna be loud but Christ-on-a-Crutch kids look at our progress in the last few years. It was gay people with a voice who made the change. Wow! what courage. speak up now!

Posted by: Steve | Jan 29, 2013 10:25:02 PM

17. Time to bombard with emails, phone calls and facebook messages, because we know the right wingers are going to do the same.

These conservatives want to turn the BSA into more or less a church organization. For them, the BSA is like the Golden chip, and they're going to be AGGRESSIVE in doing everything they can to ensure this policy isn't changed. If it's changed that would be a huge death knell to their movement, at least that's clearly the way they're seeing it. We gotta fight just as hard. It's about the kids.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 29, 2013 10:45:16 PM

18. it's really galling - there are a LOT of very angry, and incrrrrredibly stupid, people who are flipping out about this policy change.

and why? what are they specifically scared of? heck, even they don't know.

comment after comment, revealing nothing but ignorance. facts like "God created Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve!" as if that's a stunningly intelligent and brand-spankin'-new "argument"

ugh. le sigh.

and all the anti-gay folks seem to continue to ignore the clearest and most basic reality: there are gay boys in the scouts. they may have their own gay kid, or two. and no matter how much they hate gay people it will not make their children straight.

it will only have a massive impact on how much those children see themselves as beings of worth, or not.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 29, 2013 10:54:13 PM

19. Kiwi, I think they believe being gay is a choice. Well, you know that, but yeah. In their eyes, promoting homosexuality as OK (which is effectively what they see a policy change as doing and it's only goal) will lead to kids experimenting with homosexuality, or simply having different beliefs than they, the parents, do.

It's a control thing. The bigots are losing their control on our lives, and they hate it.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 29, 2013 11:05:24 PM

20. Kiwi, I think they believe being gay is a choice. Well, you know that, but yeah. In their eyes, promoting homosexuality as OK (which is effectively what they see a policy change as doing and it's only goal) will lead to kids experimenting with homosexuality, or simply having different beliefs than they, the parents, do.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 29, 2013 11:05:25 PM

21. Concur. How sad. Allowing gay people in the scouts will only have a positive effect: if they have gay kids, it'll empower them to, you know, not end their lives. If they have straight kids, it'll empower them to, you know, not be bigoted idiots.

I think what we're seeing is in some ways akin to the previous generations dealing with racial/cultural/ethnic bigotries.

They don't want their kids to not be bigoted, because then there's a division....or something. it doesn't really make sense.. they seem angry that they can't..uh...pass on a family legacy of hate. or something.

ugh.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 29, 2013 11:15:07 PM

22. one thing is certain - they don't care about LGBT youth suicides. at all.

i guess as long as it's, you know, "other people's kids" who are dying then it's just fine.

they'd clearly rather have a bully for a kid, or a dead kid, than a gay kid.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 29, 2013 11:18:19 PM

23. @Francis - you know that moment when you calmly and rationally work with someone from "an opposing view" and try to figure out exactly what they're afraid of, and then when you get them to see that they themselves don't actually know what they're afraid of, they just.....well.....choose instead to be incredibly invested in a fear that they can't even articulate?

how on EARTH does one get them to move past that? or do you think that perhaps if the seed is planted they'll do some personal inner-growing when nobody is around to notice?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 29, 2013 11:30:21 PM

24. Yeah, that's about it, Kiwi. They want their kids to grow up to be noble little bigoted cretins, just like they are. The thought of their indoctrination not taking and their kids being.......gasp.........LIBERAL on the issue of sexuality, or even GAY themselves, is just too much for them to handle. They can't deal with it.

And of course, they couldn't care less about LGBTQ youth suicides, and in fact think these kids brought it on themselves. Everything revolves around the fact they view homosexuality as the leading social ill in the country, if not world. Everything they believe works from a position that homosexuality is completely wrong in every single sense of the imagination.

I think we have seen the same in regards to racism/ethnic bigotry/sexism/etc. but the fact that there is also this "my kid could turn gay" aspect on top of the bigotry against homosexuality makes this different and really, makes the hate more intense. Because for these parents, being gay is a disease that if allowed to grow unchecked will pervert the minds of everyone. They'll turn gay or be pro-gay.

We're dealing with people who are basically not sane. So it's gonna be a difficult fight, and if the policy goes down, I expect some severe backlash. Now that "the kids" are involved their gloves are off, although they can't seem to realize it's hatred that is poisoning the minds of children and ruining and literally ending lives.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 29, 2013 11:42:24 PM

25. Yeah, that's about it, Kiwi. They want their kids to grow up to be noble little bigoted cretins, just like they are. The thought of their indoctrination not taking and their kids being.......gasp.........LIBERAL on the issue of sexuality, or even GAY themselves, is just too much for them to handle. They can't deal with it.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 29, 2013 11:42:25 PM