Chris Christie | Chris Hughes | Mark Zuckerberg | New Jersey | News

Chris Hughes Has 'Serious Concerns' About Mark Zuckerberg's Friend Chris Christie: VIDEO

HughesThisWeek

Facebook cofounder Chris Hughes sat down this weekend with ABC News' Abby Phillip to discuss a range of topics, including business partner Mark Zuckerberg's decision to hold a fundraiser for Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Hughes started by saying that what he loves about Zuckerberg is that he's so unpredictable, and then went on to explain that he has "serious concerns" about Christie because of the outspoken lawmaker's veto of a marriage equality bill.

"I, for one, have a lot of questions about Chris Christie, particularly because less than a year ago he vetoed a marriage equality bill in the New Jersey state legislature," he said. "For me personally, I got married to my husband last June, [and it] was just really personally frustrating."

...There are tens of thousands of couples in New Jersey that can't share their love and be recognized under the law because of that decision. I'm not a single issue voter, and I think most people aren't either, but for me personally, it would raise serious concerns about supporting someone like him.

Hughes was also asked about his plans for The New Republic, the long-running magazine he bought last year and currently edits and publishes, and according to Hughes, the only thing that will change is its scope.

"With the redesigned New Republic, we're trying to hold on to this hundred year old tradition of doing deep analysis on politics and culture. But we're also trying to broaden that and cover everything from technology to science to the world of ideas in a way that's really accessible," he said. "In a way that feels like it invites you in as a reader."

Watch Hughes speak about Christie, The New Republic and interviewing President Obama AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Zuckerberg sends a really bad signal to those who discriminate, that's it "okay." If it was up to people like Chris Christie, I doubt Zuckerberg would have been able to get married- it would probably be considered an interracial marriage. His support for Christie is hypocritical. Christie is a bigot. Are there no repercussions at all for people like Christie who make such bigoted decisions and get a pass for them?

Posted by: nick | Jan 27, 2013 6:56:51 PM

2. Boo hoo Chris. Sorry you can't control everything. If Zuckerberg wants to support Christie, it's his right. Maybe he's got a more realistic perspective on reality and the future.

Posted by: Edward | Jan 27, 2013 7:32:31 PM

3. It's Hughes' right, and mine, to object, and speak out.

Of course Christie should be held accountable for obstructing equality -- and Zuckerberg in turn for supporting Christie. It's seriously not OK.

Posted by: taxpayer | Jan 27, 2013 8:16:36 PM

4. Marriage equality is not a "single-issue". I can't stand it when people qualify their support of marriage equality as one of many reasons as to why they vote the way the do. If you can't marry your partner, you are not considered equal in the eyes of the law which means that you lose out on rights, protections and priveleges afforded to every straight human being in this country. Sound like a single issue to you now?

Posted by: Michael | Jan 27, 2013 9:48:29 PM

5. Zuckerberg is smokin hot.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 27, 2013 10:22:43 PM

6. andrew: You must be kidding. He is totally average (wich is perfectly ok), if he wasn't a billionaire people wouldn't look at him twice.

Posted by: jjose712 | Jan 28, 2013 7:30:58 AM

7. Bill Gates is much hotter than Zuckerberg. It is called internal beauty possessed by caring, generous and decent human beings.

Posted by: simon | Jan 28, 2013 10:33:53 AM

8. @Michael - that's exactly right. Can you imagine if someone said to Zuckerberg, I agree with you politically on every issue, BUT you cannot marry the women you love? As a matter of fact, we should 'undo' your current marriage [as some have proposed to marriage equality States].

Would he still support me? Doubtful! Like Michael said, "Sound like a single issue now?"

Posted by: Belthazar | Jan 28, 2013 11:13:43 AM

9. Well here I am, the only person commenting with his real name on a political post, AGAIN!

If you can't put your name to a political opinion you must not hold it very dear.

By the time Christie runs (and at best he'll walk briskly, btw) he'll be pro-marriage equality. The other stuff will still be crazy and nuts but he'll be on the side of marriage by 2015, trust me.

Christie is not a problem unless he changes his visuals, folks. No one's gonna vote for Christie at his current weight and he won't get thru half a Presidential campaign without dropping serious poundage. I don't know if he's capable of that. Busy sked as gov and he still finds the time to eat that much, which I have to tell you from experience is hard to do.

Also hard to lose all that. I know that too.

I don't see it happening.

Posted by: Joe Bua | Jan 28, 2013 11:44:20 AM

10. Edward, where did he say he tried to control Zuckerberg? He didn't even really criticize Zuckerberg. Are you so thin skinned that you can't hear any criticism of Christie? Christie's vetoing of the marriage bill was extremely cynical and I think he will regret it when he has to back away from it. I also question whether you watched the video.

Posted by: db | Jan 28, 2013 1:19:11 PM