Dan Savage | Marijuana | News | Washington

Dan Savage Explains Why You Should Support Legal Pot: VIDEO

SAVAGENORML

Activist, author and defender of the little guy Dan Savage today posted a video in which he explains why you, the American voter, should join Washington State and Colorado in supporting legalizing recreational marijuana.

Listen to what he has to say AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. 1- good for the american farmer

2- good for tax base

3- would free up police to go after white collar criminals

eating it vs smoking, is better/ healthier

Posted by: Moz's | Jan 10, 2013 10:34:51 AM

2. "Jam it in your in-box. You know you want it." And the expression "sh*t load" are crude and uncalled for, offputting to those you want to reach. Being a sleaze is something you can't help, but putting it on display is a choice. Make a better one and this otherwise valuable ad will have a broader impact.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 10, 2013 10:50:43 AM

3. Yeah,Dan!!!!!

Posted by: Smoker | Jan 10, 2013 11:03:05 AM

4. In the largest randomized trial done, it was shown that smoking pot creates a significant irreversible reduction in a person's IQ. Society has a clear interest in prohibiting its consumption.

Posted by: Petes | Jan 10, 2013 11:36:23 AM

5. @UFFDA -- this vid wasn't intended for your Sunday-School class. The language is appropriate for the intended audience. As for your personal comment about Mr. Savage; it says more about you than about him. Grow up.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 10, 2013 11:39:39 AM

6. @ Petes

please cite the study so others can check the truthfulness of your statement

Posted by: Moz's | Jan 10, 2013 12:33:44 PM

7. @Moz's: I've been smoking it for a long time, on and off (currently mostly off), and while I realize the lung damage that causes, I've had nothing but awful experiences when eating it. I find it impossible to regulate the dose, especially if I didn't make it myself. Even then it can turn you into a mess, and it seems to last forever. So I'd say the danger is much higher with eating.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 10, 2013 12:40:07 PM

8. amen.

not only do we need to legalize cannabis use, but we need to start farming THC-free HEMP.

it's practically the perfect plant. we don't need to be continuing with the over-logging industry. grow hemp plants. they produce oxygen. they re-grow at an incredible rate. it can be used in all sorts of ways.

and yes, legalize cannabis.

re: lung damage - invest in a vaporizer. you're welcome.

;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 10, 2013 12:44:22 PM

9. Unlike gay marriage, there is no dignity in smoking pot. It's just immediate gratification. Medical marijuana can help dull the pain for ill people, but recreational pot makes no sense. Dan is from the cultural Left, so his position on this issue is no surprise. But unlike liberals from the `1960's and 70's, he can't pretend he hasn't spent a lifetime seeing the negative effects of recreational drug use.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 10, 2013 12:51:36 PM

10. UFFDA the resident schoolmarm. Always moaning about Savage. We get it, you don't like him. Geeze already. His message is about pot, aimed at pot smokers. He is not inviting people to a church social.

There is a lot of good facts and information in this video, yet you get your panties in a bunch over one swear word and a play on words. Shoot the messenger. I'm surprised you didn't mention his use of the word d*uchebag. You probably didn't notice since I'm sure you are used to hearing that word everyday by people who know you.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 10, 2013 1:02:10 PM

11. every argument used "against" the legalization of cannabis is actually an argument against legalizing alcohol.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 10, 2013 1:02:46 PM

12. MARY: and cigarettes, cigars and alcohol are so much more dignified?

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 10, 2013 1:03:57 PM

13. @Mary and drinking alcohol is dignified? f%cking idiot.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Jan 10, 2013 1:05:33 PM

14. I support not at all legalization of pot. There are only two exceptions I think should come under medical pot, MS and advanced cancer. That`s It.

Posted by: nn | Jan 10, 2013 1:10:08 PM

15. Keeping alcohol and cigarettes legal is not at all like making pot legal. A person can drink alcohol just for the taste and not with the goal of getting high. But the goal of smoking marijuana for recreational purposes is to GET high. Isn't this so? I've never been a recreational drug user and am assuming this to be the case. If I'm wrong here, I'll accept correction.

As for cigarettes, they are bad for one's health, but cigarettes can't intoxicate you - i.e. put you in a state where you don't know what you're doing. However, because of the dangers of second-hand smoke, I DO understand the logic of banning smoking in public places.

I've never actually looked closely into the arguments for legalizing marijuana. Maybe if I did my position would change, but from what I know now, I'd advocate keeping it illegal.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 10, 2013 1:18:04 PM

16. the interesting thing about the cannabis debate is that, like with "gay issues", there is the conflict of Facts VS Emotional Opinions.

there simply isn't the empirical evidence needed to justify keeping it illegal.

it's one of those things: when "debating" this subject with people, the ones most against its legalization simply don't know what they're talking about.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 10, 2013 1:18:14 PM

17. Mary: if you don't think a person gets a high or a buzz off alcohol and cigarettes, I've got a bridge I want to sell you.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 10, 2013 1:21:02 PM

18. "here, we have de-alcoholized wine and beer for everyone"

-"No, sorry. I don't want a de-alcoholized one. i prefer the TASTE of alcohol in my wine and beer"

said nobody ever. because that makes no sense.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 10, 2013 1:26:32 PM

19. @Mary - Of course for many the goal of pot is to get high. However, getting high has many facets. I'd venture to say that a good deal of art and music you enjoy were inspired and created while someone was high. It also opens one's mind, creates deeper thought and heightens your senses. Alcohol does none of those things.

Unfortunately, Americans have been subject to decades of anti-pot propaganda which solely depicts those who use pot as dumb and/or unmotivated.

Posted by: Elias Barton | Jan 10, 2013 1:40:13 PM

20. There are many smart, creative, so-called pillars of society who partake in pot. Despite this things still manage to get done in their lives.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 10, 2013 1:51:36 PM

21. "the gunman went on a violent orgy of bloody destruction after smoking weed all night", read no headlines.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 10, 2013 1:58:24 PM

22. And if a gunman DID go on a violent rampage after smoking weed all night, would Kiwi change his mind on this subject, or would he say that the problem was not marijuana, but access to guns? What you wrote was a non-sequitur, Kiwi.

Betty, I have no doubt that there are smart, creative pillars of society who partake in pot. The question is this: would the legalization of pot (which we should assume would lead to more pot-users overall) lead to the same benign results in others who are NOT smart, creative, and pillars of society? The average person doesn't have great self-restraint. Social norms should assume that most people are ordinary, and not "smart, creative, etc..." After all, we aren't ALL regular readers of Towleroad!

As to the "getting high makes us more creative and deepens our thought process" argument, I have generaly heard this argument portrayed as a symptom of 1960's counterculture kookyness. To be fair to you Elias, I don't know enough about the actual biochemical effects of marijuana to respond to this argument fairly, and I don't want to argue against a caricature of your views. But even if it were true, we'd have to balance this creativity and sensitivity against the lack of judgment and self-restraint that getting high causes.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 10, 2013 2:24:22 PM

23. see? those who are utterly opposed to its legalization don't know what they're talking about.

emotional opinions in the absence of an intellectual and defensible understanding.

the facts are all out there for people to learn, and yet they refuse to learn them.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 10, 2013 2:30:10 PM

24. "The question is this: would the legalization of pot (which we should assume would lead to more pot-users overall) lead to the same benign results in others who are NOT smart, creative, and pillars of society?"

Newsflash Mary: pot is not hard to get now. Legalizing it is not going to open the doors to a sudden rush of people saying "finally, I can get it"! If somebody really wants to smoke pot they know how and where to get it, legal or not. Also, are you saying we shouldn't legalize it because we don't know the affects on the dumber people in society? Another newsflash: if they were dumb before, they'll still be dumb after a toke.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 10, 2013 2:37:28 PM

25. "Also, are you saying we shouldn't legalize it because we don't know the affects on the dumber people in society? Another newsflash: if they were dumb before, they'll still be dumb after a toke"

No, Betty. I'm saying we shouldn't legalize it precisely because we DO know what the effect will be on the dumber people. They'll act even dumber because they are in a state that reduces their self-control.

And Kiwi, didn't I already say that I needed to learn more on this subject and that my position might change due to more information? But the "self-control" argument is part of this equation. I don't need to know everything there is to know about marijuana to bring it up.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 10, 2013 2:49:03 PM