Football (American) | Katie Couric | Manti Te'o | News | Notre Dame

Manti Te'o Tells Katie Couric He Lied, Briefly: VIDEO

Teo

In the first clip released from his forthcoming interview with Katie Couric, Notre Dame quarterback Manti Te'o admits to lying briefly after discovering that he had been hoaxed.

"Katie, put yourself in my situation. I, my whole world told me that she died on Sept. 12. Everybody knew that. This girl, who I committed myself to, died on Sept. 12. Now I get a phone call on Dec. 6, saying that she's alive and then I'm going be put on national TV two days later. And to ask me about the same question. You know, what would you do?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Do you believe Te'o?

Comments

1. I smell mothballs.

Posted by: Richard | Jan 23, 2013 10:28:26 AM

2. This guy can't recover from this. The damage to him and his future is done.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 23, 2013 10:41:29 AM

3. I believe that he should be left alone. The world is ridiculing him for something trivial. The gay community is pushing anyone they can out of a closet, that may or may not be there, to get their first "out football player." He's a 21 year old college kid. KID. It is hypocritical to get angered by forcing a young person into something like ex-gay therapy, but not caring about forcing a young person to speed up the coming out process if they aren't ready or if it is even who they are. Would you like the media (blogs included) to do that to you? Just let him play football.

Posted by: John | Jan 23, 2013 10:52:48 AM

4. I don't believe him, but my imaginary boyfriend does.

Posted by: melvin | Jan 23, 2013 10:56:31 AM

5. In the great scheme of things, how important is this story? Not really important at all, yet we give so much time to analyzing it. Let's move on.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 23, 2013 11:01:56 AM

6. I agree with those who say it's really a very trivial thing. It's sad this guy will have to pay an inordinate price for it. If only those who commit real serious offenses got equal attention from the public, media and law enforcement..but it seems like the bigger the crime [especially white collar crime] the more likely you'll get a slap on the wrist or even become a semi-celebrity. Stuff like this story is ultimately just a distraction from far more important issues.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 23, 2013 11:10:06 AM

7. BTW:

YES, I'M GOING TO SAY SOMETHING 'MISOGYNIST', BUT:

The media and entertainment industry love to highlight stuff like this because their dominant demographic and the demographics they and their advertisers are primarily after are female, and they know stories about human relationships, drama, emotion-driven are especially appealing to the female demographic. It's the same reason why TV news presenters try to come across as really folksy, like they were your friend, and why they engage in a lot of 'banter' ... it's designed to appeal primarily to a female demographic. 80 plus percent of all advertising is aimed at females.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 23, 2013 11:15:09 AM

8. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/guy-branum/manti-jodie-and-privacy_b_2518367.html

this. is. GENIUS.

for real. check it out. everyone.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 23, 2013 11:16:01 AM

9. I really don't understand why anyone cares about this or why it is news.

Can anyone explain the fascination with him to me please?

He lied about something.....having a girlfriend. SO WHAT?
    why do we care? who has he harmed? what is going on?

Posted by: marc | Jan 23, 2013 11:30:19 AM

10. I think the only reason this "mattered" is because some people think that this was a ploy to get sympathy and attention in hopes of winning a Heisman Trophy, while others think it was maneuver from Manti to stave off any gay rumors that might ruin his chances of winning the Heisman.

Considering that he told his father that he met this girl in person, it sounds like this was a lie of his own making.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jan 23, 2013 11:39:16 AM

11. We are constantly being told, in defense of the vast amounts spent on scholastic sports and the privileged position scholastic athletes occupy, that "sports builds character." We've seen more and more indications that that isn't the case at all, and this is one more example.

Posted by: jomicur | Jan 23, 2013 11:50:22 AM

12. Don't flaunt your sob story in public and then try and convince me that you need your privacy. This probably isn't his doing, the school probably pushed him to, but still.

Posted by: jawole | Jan 23, 2013 11:53:31 AM

13. Don't flaunt your sob story in public and then try and convince me that you need your privacy. This probably isn't his doing, the school probably pushed him to, but still.

Posted by: jawole | Jan 23, 2013 11:53:33 AM

14. If he was in the closet, he missed a huge opportunity to come out and explain how homophobia in the football league drove him to this. They might have given him a contract to prove him and the rest of America wrong.

Now he's just damaged goods, his credibility is shot even if he comes clean later. If he were straight, who on earth is that good looking as has pretend girlfriends? The whole story doesn't make sense.

Posted by: SpunkyBunks | Jan 23, 2013 12:49:38 PM

15. For the life of me, i cannot see why this is an issue worth days and days of discussion and speculation. If you listened to Michelangelo Signorile on Sirus he was absolutely apoplectic. He was not the only one. i don't get it.

Posted by: deedrdo | Jan 23, 2013 1:04:40 PM

16. Two words: WHO CARES?!?!

Posted by: Walter | Jan 23, 2013 1:13:54 PM

17. Gays are sick and perverted and ugly.

Posted by: sowieso | Jan 23, 2013 1:45:22 PM

18. His lying is no different than Lance Armstrong's other then Armstrong did it longer. This guy's football career is over.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 23, 2013 4:21:22 PM

19. there's a reason Avenue Q's song about "my girlfriend...who lives in Canada" struck such an hilariously bittersweet chord with every 'mo that saw the show......

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 23, 2013 5:09:25 PM

20. See, I would argue that this borders on fraud. The college set up a memorial fund for the dead phantom girlfriend, meaning people got fleeced.

Posted by: Gry | Jan 23, 2013 5:11:27 PM

21. Enough already!!!!

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 23, 2013 5:22:09 PM

22. He doesn't come across as too bright...

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 23, 2013 5:23:55 PM

23. oh, the "reason" it's interesting is that if indeed this is a whole front for closeted homosexuality then it speaks specifically to what a culture of anti-gay animus reduces a person to.

making up a fake girlfriend to cover one's tracks.

mormon. football player. at a catholic school.

the proverbial "girlfriend who lives in Canada" - it's an oft-used way to try to get The Questions to go away, before one is ready to be real about them.

but he's 21. 21yo "kid" or not, he can vote, drive, drink, get a gun, go to war, marry, have kids.

the factors that lead people to lie are why it's important. they're the root.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 23, 2013 5:24:04 PM

24. He's lip synching!!!

Posted by: john | Jan 23, 2013 7:18:01 PM

25. Guess I need to read more to understand how he was a victim of a hoax. This is a stupid story about a college football player. Gosh, wow.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 24, 2013 5:36:15 AM