RI’s Episcopal Bishop Cites Empirical Evidence To Support Marriage Equality

Statement on Marriage Equality Legislation in Rhode Island

As the Episcopal Bishop of Rhode Island, I support the bill before the General Assembly that would allow same-sex couples to marry in our state, not in spite of my Christian faith, but because of it.

Episcopalians are not unanimous in our views, but in the Episcopal Church we find our unity in common prayer, not in common opinion. Even so, through many years of prayerful discussion, the majority of Christians in the Episcopal Church have come to believe that it is possible, and even common, for two people of the same-sex to live covenanted, faithful lives together in service to God, just as people in traditional marriages do. We have also learned that it is possible to protect the consciences of those who disagree within our church and still live together in community.

Part of what informs my opinion is that before I became a priest and then a bishop, I was a scientist. So I know the importance of trusting evidence that we see with our own eyes. I have seen what St. Paul describes as the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) in the married lives of two men and of two women. I have seen relationships that are loving, mutual, and monogamous and that have lasted a lifetime. Jesus tells us that we must test each tree by looking at the goodness of its fruit (Luke 6:43-45). Across our congregations and communities, I can see the goodness of gay and lesbian couples and their families.

The Episcopal Church has been blessed for many years by the life and ministry of gay and lesbian couples, both lay and ordained. I have seen how they contribute to the common good of a congregation and a community by creating stable, loving homes. As a new citizen of Rhode Island, I am eager to see our state legislature join many others across the country in passing legislation to ensure civil marriage equality. I believe it is time for the State of Rhode Island to extend marriage equality to all of its citizens. I urge the legislature to pass House Bill 5015.

The Rt. Rev. W. Nicholas Knisely
Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island

Comments

1. DannyEastVillage says

Will, you seem to have bought into some very silly ideas about Christians. making the mistake of thinking that all of us are mindless fundamentalists, when the mindless fundamentalists are only a minority–and a small one–of Christians.

By the way, the Primate – the chief bishop – of the Episcopal Church was a marine biologist before she became a priest.

2. simon says

Episcopal Church doesn’t have a “holy” Father. Therefore their priests don’t have to toe the line.
    Of course not all Catholics are fundamentalists, but their Pope is definitely a bigot.

3. jjose712 says

Will: I went to a catholic school and nobody questioned evolution or other cientific advances.
    And by the way, they never give the Bible a literal interpretation, in fact they say that the Bible was right for simple minds two thousand years ago, so the scriptures need an interpretation.
    I’m frankly very surprised when some priest appear on american tv or write in the press saying exactly word by word what Bible tells.
    And of course i’m more surprised when a priest blame the gays for hurricanes.
    Here we had our bunch of bigots, but frankly, nobody is so stupid to say something like that because it will be ridiculed everywhere

4. Buster says

What a wonderful statement for Bishop Knisely to have made. I am not a religious man, but it’s terrific to hear someone using the language of the Bible to support equal marriage, rather than to spew hate.

5. Diogenes Arktos says

From +Nick’s cover leter:
    “As your Bishop I respect and honor your right to disagree with me. A key part of what it means to be a member of the Episcopal Church is that, as long as we all agree that we believe Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior, we can hold varied and diverse opinions on most other issues and still meet each other in Christ at God’s altar.”

A couple of more notes about scientists and the Anglican priesthood. The Presiding Bishop was not only a marine biologist, she has a PhD and was a professor. (BTW – Her husband was a professor of mathematics.) The best living example is John Polkinghorne, a famous elementary particle physicist, who made a similar shift to become a CofE priest. (BTW – His wife was also a mathematician.) One of my math profs said that it was easy for a scientist to be religious because you spend your entire life having your face rubbed in reality.

@Bravo: good catch on literalism

6. thepolarbeast says

@Will — I suggest you read some Teilhard de Chardin. He was one hell of a scientist and an even greater man of faith.

7. Kipp says

The priest’s argument wasn’t based on science. He merely mentioned he was a scientist to lead into his bible citation about judging the tree by its fruit. That’s just “learning from experience” – not science. While science is empirical, it is also just as much an endeavor based on *skepticism* about individual experience. The priest was really just citing traditional wisdom (with which I agree) that you should only judge what you know. The priest knows loving gay couples – that’s fairly often all it takes to support marriage equality.

8. simon says

Kipp:
    You are right that science is about *skepticism*.
    A lot of Christian Talibans like the Pope and his running dogs spoke as if they know everything and don’t have the humility to say “I don’t know” on things they know nothing about.

9. simon says

A stark distinction between religion and science is their attitude towards the Creation of the Universe. Religions usually base their belief on some prehistoric books while science is based on years of painstaking measurements and observations. Even it is a great accomplishment, most scientists would tell you they don’t know what happened before the “BIG BANG”. They won’t be embarrassed to say so.

10. Diogenes Arktos says

@Alan Brickman: The Anglican Communion has no Pope. Period. The closest we have is the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is the *symbolic* head of the Anglican Communion, because he has no authority over the individual provinces, like The Episcopal Church. It is possible that +Knisely, who calls himself a physicist, could become the next Primate of The Episcopal Church, a/k/a the Presiding Bishop, who was an oceanographer. I suspect, however, he won’t have enough experience to be considered in the next election.

@Simon: The majority of Christians got over the issues with evolution and such decades ago. Unfortunately the Religious Right is so terrified that its stranglehold on “truth” may be destroyed by reality that it takes every measure it can to force its worldview on everyone, including, for example, state curricula for K-12. BTW – Just because one has left a Religious Right environment does not mean one has left its anti-scientific prejudices.

11. Rene says

I’m so excited about the Episcopal faith — they seem so welcoming. I want to find out how I can get married in the Episcopal church with more than one wife. I’m so glad that they will see the goodness of the fruit and the gifts of the spirit of having and blessing those that are called to have more than one wife for the goodness of God’s kingdom.