I'm Not Gay | Katie Couric | Manti Te'o

Manti Te'o Tells Katie Couric He's Not Gay: 'Far from It' - VIDEO

M_teo

In an interview that aired today, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o told Katie Couric that he's not gay when she asked him if he made up the dead girlfriend story to hide his sexual orientation.

COURIC:"One of the theories, many theories, Manti, making the rounds, is somehwo you created this whole scenario to cover up your sexual orientation. Are you gay?"

TE'O: No. (Laughs) Far from from it. Faaaaar from that."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Do you believe him?

Here's the full interview (till it gets pulled). The gay question is around 16:00 in the first clip.

Comments

1. Something about the way he answered this does NOT sit well with me as a gay person. Far from it with laughter? Get over yourself!

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Jan 24, 2013 11:00:03 PM

2. I don't find him attractive. I find him creepy, manipulative and slimey. Something about him comes off like a used car salesman.

Posted by: Kyle | Jan 24, 2013 11:01:41 PM

3. The gay community is a WONDERFUL community full of amazing people. We don't want or need these clowns to be gay. It would be a major stain for our community, and would make public opinion think we're all decievibg liars. No thanks. The heteros can have him!

Posted by: Dynex | Jan 24, 2013 11:03:47 PM

4. He's a Mormon folks. That INSTANTLY makes him untrustworthy on many levels.

Posted by: Art Smith | Jan 24, 2013 11:09:48 PM

5. I find it insulting that he's being suggested to be gay. Anyone who lies, decieves women and the public is gay? That's te correlation here and I don't like it.

Posted by: 2 Dads | Jan 24, 2013 11:11:09 PM

6. What a coincidence, I used to say the exact same thing!! It's hard for me to say it now, though, what with all the cock in my mouth.

Posted by: patrick | Jan 25, 2013 12:23:23 AM

7. It just gets so bizarre that I can't still put the gay rumor on it. Yes, so the 500 hours of talking to his "GF" turned out to be his cousin. Creepy. But we need to consider if they are really plotting this together for publicity stunt for his Heisman's consideration or this is just a cover for their gay relationship. Believe me, 500 hours is enough for you to plan a sophisticated plot so it would boost up your career.

Posted by: jeremyrain | Jan 25, 2013 12:41:40 AM

8. I didn't get the impression, Robert kubica, from the audience. They laugh because of him, because he opened a joke of ask if he's gay. He looks stupid there.

Posted by: Cheap NIKE NFL Jerseys | Jan 25, 2013 1:31:08 AM

9. My initial thought, possibly gay. But after watching this interview, I say not possibly gay but dfinitely dumb!

Posted by: ChadSF | Jan 25, 2013 1:38:38 AM

10. Are you kidding me?? He said no, but he was nodding his head like he'd just been offered free money.

I think the kid is either gay or seriously questioning, and it's a damned shame his journey has been plastered around the world like it has.

Posted by: Tatonka | Jan 25, 2013 1:49:49 AM

11. Far from "it"? Whatever!

That football player is soooooooooooo gay, it's not even funny. CLOSETED ... but gay. Oh, and let's not forget, he's also stupid. Actually thinking people will believe his LIES when it is so obivous he is gay. It becomes obvious each day that he is gay and that he and his male lover were trying to make him look straight.

SAD.

Hope one day he will be true to himself. He had the chance in the Katie Couric interview, but he continued with his lies.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 25, 2013 2:58:58 AM

12. nope. i don't believe him.

that's just me...but whether he is or isn't, i hope he'll do right by us.

Posted by: KDNA | Jan 25, 2013 3:12:29 AM

13. Damned if I know what Manti is. Perhaps the best answer was given by his father: "He's a boy, trying to be a man."

Of more concern: What does it say about me that I'm following this story and spent an hour watching Katie Couric's interview?

Posted by: Rich | Jan 25, 2013 3:51:28 AM

14. I think the biggest take away from me is... that in order for her to be real she has to physically be there. Not via email, not via facebook, not over the phone, but right in front of you in person. Otherwise your situation is as pathetic as the one from that indie movie where the guy dates the rubber doll (a few years back.) You cannot date someone that you have not had a PHYSICAL connection with.

Posted by: Javier | Jan 25, 2013 3:59:41 AM

15. A guy who is content to "date" a girl for several years with, apparently, no wish to meet her? Can you spell "b.e.a.r.d"?

A guy who doesn't rush to the bedside of his dying "love of his life"? Can you spell "c.o.n.s.p.i.r.a.t.o.r"?

Sorry, Te'o, but I don't believe a word you say. We don't know the whole story, but no human being behaves the way you did. And no straight man ever has such a sorry excuse for a "relationship" with a woman.

And only a fraud lies about it, especially on national TV.

Sorry to hear you are living such a dreadfully repressed life, all in return for a football career without conflict. You seem like a really talented athlete. What a shame you have to give up your life to assure your career.

Posted by: Alan Katz | Jan 25, 2013 4:24:32 AM

16. Girl, you're so far away from gay that it circled the globe and came right back to gay.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jan 25, 2013 7:45:17 AM

17. Who knows if he's gay or not - if he truly is, I'd say he's so closeted he'd never publically come out, it would only surface if he were ever found out (e.g. if he had some hook up and the person told the media). Regardless, I agree with those saying the whole question of him possibly being gay has been poorly handled. I cringed hearing Katie Couric ask it, because the tone/inflection/questioning still sets it up as something with stigma, and his response, quickly denying it, and saying "far" from it, and the audience's response, again still suggests that there is something wrong with it. Society has come a long way, but let's not forget that for most, tolerance is only at the surface. We aren't so evolved as many European nations, where sexual orientation is close to being a non issue (but there is still plenty of homophobia there, as even in Denmark there are still beatings by homophobes).

Posted by: DRJUSTINO | Jan 25, 2013 9:03:14 AM

18. He comes across as being painfully shy. He also seems sexually naive. His sheltered background might be part of this attitude. Gay? Well, he can always hop right out there and get himself another gal.

Posted by: anon | Jan 25, 2013 10:36:00 AM

19. Much ado about nothing.

Can we move on to other, more important topics?

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 25, 2013 10:45:14 AM

20. Awfully expensive closet he's building should the NFL invest in the delusional. Was first round now third round.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Jan 25, 2013 1:05:39 PM

21. @MikeH: Regarding, "Apparently he and others believe it's better to be an imbecile than gay," it is also possible, if he is straight, that he realizes that pretending to be gay when not would make him an institution on late-night TV as one comedian after another has a field day.

BTW, if he is a devout Mormon, given that he is then not supposed to engage in any premarital sex, a "telephone only" girlfriend is a convenient excuse for not acting like the vast majority of his male peers.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 25, 2013 2:19:35 PM

22. For those who keep asking why this is a story: the sports press ran with this sob story of an athlete with a dead girlfriend without doing any source checking. Indeed when they did check and couldn't find anything like an obit or any record of the girl at all, the editors told them to run with it anyway. Now they look like idiots so someone MUST PAY! That's why this story wont die.

Posted by: Liam | Jan 25, 2013 3:49:16 PM

23. He still hasn't come clean about what happened. There are several possible reasons he might have had his friend create a fake profile to pass off as his "out of town girlfriend". None of them seem likely except that he's gay. He's certainly not the first person to do this, and not the last. But since he's Mormon I don't expect him to come out anytime soon. At least half the Mormon men I have ever met (not a relative sample since these lived in big cities and were somehow or other involved in music) seemed very gay to me. Not one of them has come out since then. (I know a few have and I even saw the one man show about the guy who did.) there's a lot of social pressure on them to remain closeted, more even than is typical of fundamentalist Christians. I feel bad for him. But I don't believe him either.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Jan 25, 2013 6:09:34 PM

24. About as straight as the guy on straight cam, and me! Give it up Te'o!

Posted by: billmiller | Jan 25, 2013 9:38:26 PM

25. He's a sociopath. Don't others see this. He lies without any reason to do so.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 25, 2013 11:23:30 PM