Azealia Banks | GLAAD | News

Azealia Banks Holds 'Faggot' Debate on Twitter

Banks

Singer Azealia Banks, who made headlines last month after a feud with Perez Hilton in which she used the word "faggot" repeatedly, has struck up the feud once again, this morning canvassing her 300,000 followers as to their definition of the word.

A_banksSaid Banks: "Here we go again. Everyone pretending to be so shocked and moved by the word faggot... It's like society is so bored with itself it needs to hold on to these outdated rules of what you can say and cannot say... Why has society accepted "ni**er" As a colloquialism ... But will not accept "faggot"? Everyones always acting like its f**king 1905 in this bitch. What is your definition of the word faggot? Faggot means coward, liar, backstabber...... Energy stealer, blood sucker. Perez tries to get every gay person all riled up when the only faggot I see ........ is him. It's really time for a cultural shift. All these leftover old world social themes we're all still trying to hold on to are BOOORRIIING"

Banks is receiving quite a few responses to her question. The conversation is ongoing...

Last month, singer Jake Shears and GLAAD responded to Banks.

Said GLAAD: "[That] is an ugly, archaic word that was used to stigmatize a population of people who suffer high rates of violence both here in the U.S. and abroad," said Matt Kane, the group's Associate Director of Entertainment Media. "As far as we’ve come in this society, seeing it used by an artist many young people may look up to is painful, but even more so for those young fans, many of whom GLAAD has heard from."

Said Shears: "It all about context. And right now, I'm sorry, but context is not on your side."

Comments

1. c. u. n. t.

Posted by: znsd | Feb 16, 2013 5:44:20 AM

2. c. u. n. t.

Posted by: znsd | Feb 16, 2013 5:44:23 AM

3. c. u. n. t.

Posted by: znsd | Feb 16, 2013 5:44:27 AM

4. c. u. n. t.

Posted by: znsd | Feb 16, 2013 5:44:31 AM

5. cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunt

Posted by: znsd | Feb 16, 2013 5:44:48 AM

6. Girl just needs to STFU.

Posted by: jim | Feb 16, 2013 10:53:51 AM

7. She is being a TOTAL IDIOT with this bs. What? The n-word is accepted? Not by a single black person I know!

How absolutely stupid. It's offensive, I don't like it, and most gay men don't like it, it's an insult, and it makes me pissed off being called that. It is a derogatory term, usually used by passively homophobic, or very homophobic people.

I even like her music! And I'm not about 'PC' language. It's not being overly PC, to ask someone not to use a harsh derogatory word as an insult towards you. Say f*ck, sh*t, c*nt, c*ck and the myriad of other non-PC words you want, but just lay the hell off that goddamn word!!! Why, why, does she feel she NEEDS to use it??? Get over yourself, you are losing respect from your fans. But, I'm sure she's gaining more homophobic fans! She must be so proud...

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | Feb 16, 2013 10:59:58 AM

8. She is being a TOTAL IDIOT with this bs. What? The n-word is accepted? Not by a single black person I know!

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | Feb 16, 2013 10:59:58 AM

9. I am going to come to her defense here.

There are indeed obnoxious behaviors which are nearly 100% reserved to gay men, obnoxious behaviors for which Perez Hilton is the poster boy. The word for those behaviors is the Fblankgot word.

There are also obnoxious behaviors which one only associates with black people. Those would be nwords.

Having said that, her definition of the FGword is as ridiculous and painful to read as some white person trying to maintain that "there are black people and then there are nwords" which while true, doesn't play well on the ear. It's not quite as bad as the person who claims that there are both white and black nwords to which the FGword says "Oh please!"

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 16, 2013 11:07:15 AM

10. I am going to come to her defense here.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 16, 2013 11:07:21 AM

11. lil Kim wanna be

Posted by: robert | Feb 16, 2013 3:18:52 PM

12. lil Kim wanna be

Posted by: robert | Feb 16, 2013 3:19:00 PM

13. David says: "I am going to come to her defense here."

Really? I. Am. SHOCKED.