Crime | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Man Attacked on NYC Subway; Onlookers Do Nothing

A 23-year-old gay man and his partner were attacked on the No.2 train in NYC on Monday night, the NY Daily News reports:

FrankellyUrena Morel Frankelly and his partner were on a southbound No. 2 train Monday night when a woman took a picture of them eating and her friend called them names.

“Why you taking a picture?” the victim asked.

“Feed you face, f-----" the suspect shouted back. Another woman with her chimed in, apparently asking the partner: “Why you with that f-----?”

Following the exchange, Frankelly was attacked (a man joined the two women) and repeatedly punched, the paper adds. Frankelly's eye was cut and swollen shut.

His partner said nobody came to their aid: “Everyone was watching — no one helped us. That was a very scary situation for us...Right now we’d just prefer to be alone.”

The NYPD has launched a hate crime investigation, the NY Post reports.

(image via NY Daily News)

Comments

1. I'm not sure if there are"different" types of people riding the subway but weren't we "happy" about two days ago that in another NYC subway a gay man was cheered on when he confronted an anti-gay preacher?

Obviously what people were cheering on then was that someone confronted the preacher to shut up, not because they were gay friendly. Or maybe some of them were, but this report above shows something different as nobody helped this couple or even took pictures of the perpetrators for the police report

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Feb 20, 2013 9:21:34 AM

2. Waiting for the inevitable troll post about how if the gay men were more manly they would have physically attacked their aggressors. Or how the partner should have intervened more. But none of us were there and we don't know really that much about how this all played out. We simply know someone was beaten because he was gay. It's really unfortunate. I hope the victim recovers.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 20, 2013 9:27:10 AM

3. Southbound 2 train from Bronx/Harlem... that's why.

Posted by: UDontKnow | Feb 20, 2013 9:34:51 AM

4. @Chris, watch that video again, that "cheered" guy gets nothing accomplished, the other dude keeps preaching the entire time. He had zero effect.

I want to know how late this was. Monday night holiday in the Bronx at like 1AM would be unsurprising.

Posted by: Fensox | Feb 20, 2013 9:47:08 AM

5. The NY Post story reports that this happened at 6 p.m. and on the Upper West Side. Not sure how long the attack took place, but they were able to escape at 96th Street. I feel uncomfortable taking the subway very late, but this happened at 6 p.m. Granted it was a holiday, but it wasn't like it was St. Patrick's Day when the subway is full of rowdy drunks.

Posted by: AlphaTom | Feb 20, 2013 10:10:44 AM

6. According to the article, a total of six people attacked him. I'm not sure what fantasy world everyone is living in wherein a lone vigilante throws himself (or herself) into the middle of a fight involving 8 people (if you include the victim and his boyfriend) on a crowded New York City subway, but I think everyone who wasn't there should probably be a touch less judgmental about people not jumping into the fray to help....

Posted by: Dan E | Feb 20, 2013 10:25:31 AM

7. My Mom should have been there. She'd have definitely helped him out. As a NYC schoolteacher she was famous for breaking up fights with almost no thought to her own physical safety. Although she's not especially pro-gay z(or anti-gay)her likely words to the attackers would be something like "You're calling him a f_____? He's TWICE the man you are!"

Posted by: Mary | Feb 20, 2013 10:36:46 AM

8. Eating on the subway is gross

Posted by: txstevo | Feb 20, 2013 10:41:34 AM

9. Headline writer Andy Towle encourages gay subway riders to get involved in other peoples' fracases; denies responsibility for ensuing deaths. Film at 11.

Posted by: For Whom the Bell Towles | Feb 20, 2013 11:10:21 AM

10. I can only imagine how this comment section would read if this had happened on MARTA or somewhere else in the South. It's telling how all of NYC doesn't get lumped into a homophobic bucket. The reality is that this sort of thing happens in blue states & red states, in big cities, small towns and rural areas all across America.

Posted by: MIke | Feb 20, 2013 11:17:54 AM

11. You have a point, "Bell." But then how will people every learn not to pull crap like this if no one gets involved and stops them? It's a hard call to make, I know. Several times when trying to break up fights, my Mom was kept safe by a bystander student breaking up the fight because he was afraid for HER safety rather than that of the two fighting students.

Posted by: Mary | Feb 20, 2013 11:19:10 AM

12. ...a woman took a picture of them eating and her friend called them names.

“Why you taking a picture?” the victim asked.

An argument erupted, ...

STOP RIGHT THERE. I've seen it written here by others, but you're taking your life in your hand when you talk to strangers on the subway in NY, particularly if they show signs of aggression. And when you read "An argument erupted..." there are a lot of details left out about who called whom what. I'm sorry that this young man got verbally abusedn and physically attacked, but there is not really enough information to determine whether he played a role in the escalation of the incident. Again, NEVER engage with aggressive strangers on the subway, because you never know when (continue reading)....

"....and the two women, joined by three others plus a man, attacked Frankelly, police said. His partner tried to intervene, but the victim was repeatedly punched.

The victim’s left eye was swollen shut, with a cut above the socket. He was treated at St. Luke’s Hospital. Frankelly's partner tried to intervene, but the victim was repeatedly punched. His partner said, “Everyone was watching — no one helped us. That was a very scary situation for us.”

He refused comment.

“Everyone was watching — no one helped us. That was a very scary situation for us,” the partner said.

AGAIN, I'm really, truly sorry that the young man was physically injured, but I don't think that I would have waded into a fight to try to save him from his own fresh (or foul) mouth.

I have seen people get punched on a subway train for accidentally brushing up against another person, and have been other people get stabbed for reacting aggressively. The subway is not a place to be showing your machísmo, unless you're looking for trouble.

You wanna take my picture on the subway, go right ahead. I'm ready for my closeup. But I'm not going to get involved in a fight because some kid doesn't know how to stay out of trouble.

Posted by: 30 Years on the Subway, Zero Fights | Feb 20, 2013 11:28:59 AM

13. I wouldn't have jumped in. I would gotten myself killed and would have made the situation worse. It's that simple. However I would have tried every effort to get the attention of the subway operator. There's only so much a person can do.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 20, 2013 11:45:47 AM

14. I'm glad the guy and his partner/friend are OK. Folks...it's train going to and from the South Bronx and Harlem. You just 'look' at somebody the 'wrong' way, and they'll be a fight. You accidently bump into somebody or smile, they'll be a fight. Chicks are just as bad if not worse than dudes.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 20, 2013 11:56:10 AM

15. @GREGOIRE,

A an engineer on a #2 isn't going to do jack sh*t, and I don't blame him/her. Lucky if they call in a fight to transit police. Lucky more-so if police are near-by and respond quickly.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 20, 2013 11:58:57 AM

16. I don't know about his partner, but Urena's injuries look minor. Those women weren't exactly packing a punch.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 20, 2013 12:01:38 PM

17. @Mike: People only ignore your comment because they don't have a witty response to it. You're so right. Anytime this happens outside of other people's bubbles, they dismiss it as sh*t Southerners do, or the cost of living in a hick state. Aside from a couple thinly veiled racists, when this happens in their own back yard, people are quick to change how they respond. If it happened in Atlanta, it would be because that's how everyone in the South behaves. In NY, it's a certain train in a certain 'hood, and everyone offers up advice about subway etiquette. The ignorance is astounding.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 20, 2013 12:01:59 PM

18. @BillyMike:

I've never seen a person attacked on the subway for being gay. But I've seen a few fights break out because of stupidity. That's the difference (for a gay man) in the South Bronx and East Texas, getting attacked for being stupid versus getting attacked for being gay. That and the lack of subways.

Posted by: 30 Years on the Subway, Zero Fights | Feb 20, 2013 12:08:46 PM

19. The answer is, that there needs to be security on every train in NYC. NYC has long had this "protect your own blood" type mentality when it comes to these subway situations. You're expected to protect yourself and handle your own business. But no-one should be forced into situations like this.

I'm not going to blame the victim here, but he should have known better. You're taking a train route where violence is a regular occurrence between passengers. You cannot engage with these types of savages. Take the photo, don't get too defensive, ignore them as much as you can afterward, and make sure you take photos of the thugs and call police afterward.

Train rides in the Northeast (NYC, Philly, Baltimore, etc.) are rough business. Because there are so many different cultures cramped together and not all of these cultures get along. Be smart and know your surroundings. But these incidents will definitely be cut down dramatically if security were placed on these trains!

My heart goes out to Urena. I hope he fully recovers physically and especially mentally.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 20, 2013 12:14:09 PM

20. @Bill,

I always attempt to defend others like the south as a region and white southerners when I think they're unfairly stigmatized. But in this case, what I posted is the truth and my observations of subway etiquette in certain areas ['hoods if you want to use that word] is to the point and spot-on. The possibilities for unpleasant, even dangerous situations occurring differs dramatically on average,depending on your immediate environment, your fellow passengers, the 'hoods' you're traveling through,to, or from,etc.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 20, 2013 12:14:11 PM

21. @Francis,

It's impossible to place armed police on all trains and buses. People in especially certain neighborhoods just need to be very aware of their environment and people around them and be ready for anything. Not a pleasant way to live day in and day out, but until the sub-culture of some people [I'm not singling out a specific 'race' so don't get your panties in a bunch] and of some 'hoods' changes for the better, this is the way it is.

@30 years on the subway,zero fights,

You've led a charmed life. I agree fights are actually rare, but they do happens, and I've certainly witnessed them. I've also witnessed so-called homophobic or anti-gay behavior directed at usually guys who're stereo-typically gay looking and acting.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 20, 2013 12:22:46 PM

22. Um, the facts of the situation are, this type of violence is pretty unique to NYC and other Northeast cities, where there are generally young, out-of-control youth who are ready to pick a fight with anyone on train rides. To say this is representative of NYC as a whole is completely ridiculous. NYC has a low hate crime rate in comparison to the percentage of gays within the city, and in fact, one of the lowest percentages among big cities.

This is about homophobia, of course, but then again, most gay men don't get attacked on train rides in NYC. Anyone who knows NYC knows exactly what this is about.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 20, 2013 12:23:26 PM

23. Um, the facts of the situation are, this type of violence is pretty unique to NYC and other Northeast cities, where there are generally young, out-of-control youth who are ready to pick a fight with anyone on train rides. To say this is representative of NYC as a whole is completely ridiculous. NYC has a low hate crime rate in comparison to the percentage of gays within the city, and in fact, one of the lowest percentages among big cities.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 20, 2013 12:23:27 PM

24. @RatBastard: Re 'hoods, an anecdote, not a contradiction. The last fight I saw on the subway was about 5 years ago, a northbound 6-Train, 77th and Lex, a winter Sunday afternoon, smack in the middle of one of the wealthiest zip codes in the US. A crowded train. Suddenly a loud crack, the sound of fist meeting skull. And the entire car was like one of those nature shows showing a huge school of fish swimming together and then suddenly changing direction. The train car cleared in about 5 seconds, and left the station empty. No one intervened, no one stuck around to get involved. Obviously, a northbound 6-train is what it is. But a fight can happen anywhere. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, and you go on to fight the fight another day.

And for what it's worth, I grew up in East Texas, and have lived my adult life in Manhattan. While I might feel safer overall in East Texas, in my experience there's a lot less chance of being attacked for being gay in Manhattan than in some dueling banjos podunk backwater. Like you said, it's a matter of knowing your surroundings.

Posted by: 30 Years on the Subway, Zero Fights | Feb 20, 2013 12:44:09 PM

25. Rat, I don't think it's impossible to have just one security guard on trains, at least the stations where crime exists more readily. It will take away from the force on the streets but there are areas in NYC that don't need as much police protection. There are some that do. It's an expense worth taking. These persons don't even have to be police, just trained security. Trained guards. That is *the* only way these incidents will stop occurring.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 20, 2013 12:53:26 PM