Discrimination | Gay Marriage | Oregon

BigGayDeal.com

Oregon Bakery Says No To Gay Wedding Cakes

A bakery in Oregon has refused to sell a cake to a lesbian after finding out it would be used for her wedding. Aaron Klein, one of the owners of the husband and wife-run Sweet Cakes by Melissa says he does not believe in same-sex marriage.

AaronkleinVia King 5 News, Klein recounts the episode when one of the brides-to-be came in to order the cake with her mother:

"My first question is what's the wedding date," said owner Aaron Klein. "My next question is bride and groom's name ... the girl giggled a little bit and said it's two brides." Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages. Klein said the women were disgusted and walked out. "I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God," said Klein. "A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife ... that to me is the beginning of marriage."

Klein says he does not hate gays and sells them items from his store everyday - just not wedding cakes.

"They can buy my stuff," said Klein. "I'll sell them stuff ... I'll talk to them, it's fine." What is not fine, according to Klein, is a marriage between people of the same sex. He will always stand by that conviction. "I'd rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in then to see him bow down because one person complained."

Since this violates one of Oregon's anti-discrimination laws, the Oregon Department of Justice is currently investigating the incident.

Watch news segment from King 5, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Will any gay people ever go into this stupids bakery again?

Posted by: Goodcarver | Feb 3, 2013 3:01:14 PM

2. @Goodcarver: straight people might not go into it either, once the DA gets through with him.

His only legal options, if those are his beliefs, are to get into a different line of work or not do wedding cakes at all. Instead, this slimy guy wants to ignore the law to line his own pocket with wedding-cake sales he does not deserve.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 3, 2013 3:12:29 PM

3. I thought the bible had something to say about tattoos. I'd also like to know how much would be the price of his kids, if I ever feel like buying one of them.

Posted by: Syrax | Feb 3, 2013 3:13:54 PM

4. Goodcarver: Of course not.
    Maybe if he lose some money he will learn to separate his personal beliefs of his business.

And egiptians, greeks and romans marry centuries before Jesus. So there's no way that marriage is a religious institution, at least not a christian one.

Some people seem unable to separate religious marriage of civil marriage

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 3, 2013 3:15:17 PM

5. the only way to deal with bigots is to sue their asses off. The bible encourages slavery so does he have the right to own others or not sell to mixed race couples? The ability to discriminate is not a protected right.

Posted by: terry | Feb 3, 2013 3:24:46 PM

6. In these cases I always am reminded of a great line from Pink Flamingos, there are two kinds of people in this world, my kind of people and assholes. I mean this guy is a biblical literalist great, I wonder how his Aramaic and Hebrew interpretation skills are? Same old same old, we’ll claim outrage, the right will claim victimhood (hiding behind his children to justify his stupidity) and the courts will act and everyone hates everyone. Sad state of affairs.

Posted by: NE Rich | Feb 3, 2013 3:27:24 PM

7. Another foolish business owner that thinks it's okay to discriminate against GBLT because of their religious view point. Fine. Looking forward to the article about his bakery closing due to lack of business. :)

Posted by: David | Feb 3, 2013 3:28:54 PM

8. I wonder if Hitler walked in and wanted a cake for a non-Jewish event if he'd be able to have one?

Posted by: Will | Feb 3, 2013 3:29:26 PM

9. Oh these pious "christian" people who think their religious beliefs entitle them to deny services to people who are different! What a crock.

Posted by: john patrick | Feb 3, 2013 3:30:16 PM

10. What the hell is Oregeon?

Posted by: Johnny | Feb 3, 2013 3:30:38 PM

11. Says the idiot with a tattoo thus clearly violating Leviticus 19:28

Posted by: Steve | Feb 3, 2013 3:31:28 PM

12. So, do they sell cakes to people who have been divorced and are re-marrying? What about couples who have had pre-marital sex? Couples who may be expecting before they are married? Inter-racial and inter-religious couples? How about birthday cakes for children whose parent's aren't married?

I love these religious people who want to take us back to "traditional marriage". Like in bible times when they had multiple wives, where women were considered property and a dowry was involved? Or when there were arranged marriages? These are probably the same people who insist on leaving the "promise to obey your husband" part in the wedding vows.

How about just leaving the judging to God, not a cakemaker.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 3, 2013 3:35:55 PM

13. Oregon includes sexual orientation in it's discrimination laws. Wouldn't a bakery refusing a type of goods or services to a protected category of persons be discrimination in public accommodation?

Posted by: TominLA | Feb 3, 2013 3:37:06 PM

14. It's a frickin' cake! Why ruin your business over a cake?! These people should be out of business not because of intolerance or bigotry but because of stupidity. If they don't believe in same sex unions, fine. They don't have to have one. They don't have to go to one. But it's a frickin' cake! Do they really think their god is so mean, angry and spiteful that he will smite them or cast them into the lake of fire for baking a frickin' cake?

Posted by: rf7777 | Feb 3, 2013 3:37:06 PM

15. I remain so unimpressed with people who are only Christians as an excuse to hate gays. Or Muslims.

Do these folks have issues with cakes made for marriages of differing, or no, religious affiliation?

i wonder if he's even stopped to wonder if either of his kids may be gay, and what potential message of hatred he's harming them with....

unlikely.

oh well. get on yahoo. yelp. yellowpages. write heinously bad reviews. drive the f***er out of business.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 3, 2013 3:37:57 PM

16. I'm curious, does he sell cakes to people on their second (or third or fourth) marriages? Does he sell cakes to non-Christians? How strict is he about his "you're violating the bible so I can't sell you my crappy baked goods" policy. Seems to me he should have the Ten Commandments posted at the door just for starters and we'll see how many customers he still has.

Posted by: e.c. | Feb 3, 2013 3:40:32 PM

17. Oregon should simply boycott this fool.

Why is discrimination celebrated in this country?

Posted by: earthxdog | Feb 3, 2013 3:43:36 PM

18. My, my.
    Now religion is being used as a basis for refusing to bake a cake !

And this clown is standing on a principle; that principle is that God would not want him baking cakes for lesbians who want to get married.
    What about lesbians generally ? Would they get a cake ?
    And adulterers ? And fornicators ? And bigamists ? And shell fish eaters ? And nasty women who disobey their husbands ? Or infidels ? Or Islamics ? Or the French ?

What a great stand for God and Jesus and righteousness, dude. The world really needs men of principle, like you.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 3, 2013 3:45:12 PM

19. Good point Steve about the tatoo and Leviticus. Somebody should let him know about that on their Facebook page.

Posted by: HYPOCRITE SAYS WHAT? | Feb 3, 2013 3:45:27 PM

20. http://www.yelp.ca/biz/sweet-cakes-by-melissa-gresham

have at it.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 3, 2013 3:46:14 PM

21. Does he have that posted on the front door of his business?

Posted by: Jon John | Feb 3, 2013 3:46:37 PM

22. He's kinda cute isn't he... that said, I'm not buying it... this seems like a publicity stunt more than anything else. I mean, come on... The wingnuts will wave their hands and cry religious discrimination... meh! The law is clear, he'll have to sell the cake or stop baking them... would like to see a pix of him with his shirt off though...

Posted by: MikeH | Feb 3, 2013 3:47:39 PM

23. It's just a cake. He doesn't strike me as particularly malicious.

Once he sees it as really just a case of "render unto Caesar", his religious convictions won't be compromised, and everybody'll be happy.

I just can't get excited or upset about this, or think this guy is an example of what the core problems are. We have far worse enemies that will never be assuaged.

Posted by: AnonaGay | Feb 3, 2013 3:51:54 PM

24. Funny. These bigot cakemakers on their website's recommendations page list The Ainsworth House for wedding venues. The Ainsworth House is gay owned and operated and (of course) hosts same sex weddings/unions.

Posted by: rf7777 | Feb 3, 2013 3:56:12 PM

25. "I'll talk to them" ...well thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: HYPOCRITE SAYS WHAT? | Feb 3, 2013 4:05:48 PM