Sinead O’Connor Congratulates Pope Benedict on His ‘Greatest Achievement': Retiring

Sinead

Sinead O'Connor, who famously ripped a portrait of Pope John Paul II to pieces on SNL in 1992 while saying "fight the real enemy," said this today about Pope Benedict XVI's retirement:

I would like to congratulate Pope Benedict on his wise decision to retire before the very worst of what has been going on is discovered. I appreciate his alluding to some of it in his statement and assure him The Most High forgives those who can faithfully say they did wrong.

The church had been brought into dreadful disrepute by lies and blasphemies against The Holy Spirit. Benedict’s greatest achievement is this act of retiring. There is a chance now for the church to be re-built and made fit to house The Holy Spirit.

Comments

1. Rich F. says

“There is a chance now for the church to be re-built and made fit to house The Holy Spirit.”

Don’t count on it, Sinead. Pope Palpatine has stacked the deck.

2. StillmarriedinCA says

She was RIGHT then, when she tore up that photo. The whole world should apologize to her for the backlash that slapped her down. We always want to shoot the messenger, don’t we?

3. candideinnc says

Holy Spirit? Is that the seagull that keeps hanging around the old man on the gold highchair? I was fully with Sinead until she started spouting off the superstitons.

4. simon says

He put the Church’s reputation on the line in opposing same sex marriage everywhere. He is just abandoning the sinking ship when he is losing big in the culture war.

5. T.s. says

I still remember what an uproar that act caused in my conservative, military home. I didn’t understand that she effectively ended her career at the time. I was so sheltered I hardly knew who the Pope was (only that Catholics weren’t REAL Christians…) and Sinead was part of pop culture (which was pretty much banned in the house) but my parents were still talking about it. In hindsight, their interaction encapsulated so much of the sneering hypocrisy of mainstream (especially Dominionist) Christians. They were smug about the Pope being ripped in effigy, but they couldn’t support O’Connor because she was too “secular.” My enemy’s enemy is my friend only barely applied, but what it all boils down to is the gross divisiveness/tribalism at the heart of virtually all religion as it is practiced today.

So glad to be rid of it and to be able to cheer O’Connor unequivocally.

6. Jude says

Littlekiwi, fully agreed. Also, I’m still applauding her for performing the song War again at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Tribute concert after she was greeted by a fiercely booing audience.

With those two instances she defined what it means to be a courageous artist. It’s been almost two decades now and I still haven’t come across anything that would illustrate it better.

7. ChiPIetro says

She was right then. She’s right now. And could her comment be any more Catholic? I imagine that the Frank Sinatra/Bill Donohue types who dismiss her courageous defiance miss this point.

8. rosie gaines says

sinead o’connor the lovely truth telling woman-always has been always will be.
    when the truth is not spoken and covered up,bad things can continue-well done sinead dont ever change!