Los Angeles | News | Westboro Baptist Church

BigGayDeal.com

Santa Monica High School Outprotests Westboro Baptist Church: VIDEO

Sweetbrown

Now that's school spirit.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The L.A. Times adds: "In response to the planned protest, the school district’s Board of Education adopted an open letter to the community last week, reaffirming the school board’s 'unwavering commitment to teach tolerance, acceptance and compassion for others.'"

Comments

1. I like that sign at the end that says God Loves and has a picture of an Oreo. If god actually existed then I imagine he would love Oreos.

Posted by: Yaoi | Feb 25, 2013 7:14:12 PM

2. These are my kids. I see them and work with them every day and MAN am I proud of them.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Feb 25, 2013 7:28:47 PM

3. My alma mater! So proud!

Posted by: Rexford | Feb 25, 2013 7:35:09 PM

4. Oh weird. That is my old apartment building that the WBC are standing in front of. It was a really nice place to live. I'm glad the students of Santa Monica HS aren't putting up with their nonsense.

Posted by: KM | Feb 25, 2013 7:46:04 PM

5. Following the fads. College kids never change. I wore a black arm band as a Freshman in High School. Damn if I remember what it was for. Life experience has a way of changing things.

Posted by: GB | Feb 25, 2013 7:50:12 PM

6. This is why I think the WBC may be good for gay rights despite themselves. Who else could have motivated most of an entire school to demonstrate in support of gays? Nobody.

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 25, 2013 7:55:23 PM

7. @ CALIBAN.

you are exactly right. Haters have historically benefited those they sought to oppress. Look at what the attacks on African Americans during the 50's and 60's accomplished; they only benefited the civil rights movement. Hate is self defeating.

Posted by: ian | Feb 25, 2013 8:09:07 PM

8. Westboro = Evil = Bible!!!

Posted by: andrew | Feb 25, 2013 8:24:07 PM

9. Hitler had to kill six million Jews first, but I get your point.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 25, 2013 8:46:34 PM

10. The students have started a fundraising campaign for Gay-Straight Alliances as a counter-protest to the WBC. You can donate here: http://www.crowdrise.com/samohigsa/fundraiser/gaystraightalliancen

Posted by: Dave | Feb 25, 2013 8:57:45 PM

11. I agree Caliban. I think the WBC are one of the best things that happened to gay rights. Especially when they started protesting military funerals. The sort of ridiculous extremism they have been so openly promoting just seems absurd and hateful to even many conservatively minded people.

Posted by: KM | Feb 25, 2013 9:22:39 PM

12. When will the WBC realize that most of us hate their message of hate.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 25, 2013 11:38:55 PM

13. I live a few blocks from the high school which is so near to the beach! I would have joined them if I was not at work.Great to see LOVE over take hate.

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 26, 2013 2:13:31 AM

14. WBC is like any reality star wannabe, there's no bad publicity as long as you get your face infront of the public. People will slow down to look at a squashed squirrel in the middle of the road.

Posted by: bambinoitalianoba | Feb 26, 2013 7:46:56 AM

15. WBC really is a good example of backfire. Is it possible that anyone would join them after their protests at military funerals or upon seeing their hateful public signage? Are they an organization that has grown in numbers?
    Extremism begets distaste and defence putting many on the alert for it in all things.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 26, 2013 9:25:48 AM

16. I agree, UFFDA. It's not dissimilar to the effect the KKK had on racist rhetoric. The extremists actually become a moderating influence because nobody wants to sound like "those people."

Really the only difference between the WBC and groups like the AFA and their spokesman Tony Perkins is a matter of style and media-savvy, the "kinder, gentler" face of hate. But with the WBC as a shining example, even then many people see them as being on the same continuum and reject the message. Except for the hard core Evangelicals and fundies of course, who we weren't going to win over anyway.

Don't get me wrong- the WBC is despicable. But ultimately I think their antics work in our favor. The gay community couldn't have invented a better face for our enemy if we'd appointed a committee.

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 26, 2013 9:48:33 AM

17. For disrepute the WBC and the KKK make a good and useful comparison. Thank you CALIBAN.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 26, 2013 10:33:26 AM

18. except that, you know, the KKK killed people. black people.

Posted by: redball | Feb 26, 2013 11:35:48 AM

19. It's presumptuous to think that "god = love", you are doing the same thing as the WBC when they say "god hates fags". God is made up so god could be anything.

Rude.

Posted by: Fensox | Feb 26, 2013 12:38:30 PM

20. @UFFDA, does that mean the racism you usually employ is to get progressive readers to acknowledge that they want nothing to do with you and denounce racism?

Posted by: Fensox | Feb 26, 2013 12:42:54 PM

21. They are followers at that age.

Posted by: NM | Feb 26, 2013 3:39:32 PM

22. Glad we can now see (read) that FENSUCK is nuts.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 26, 2013 4:36:10 PM