Barack Obama | Guns | News | Ted Nugent

Ted Nugent, Who Threatened Obama at the NRA Convention Last Year, to Attend 'State of the Union' Address

Nugent

Congressman Steve Stockman has given one of his gallery tickets for the State of the Union address to rocker Ted Nugent, a staunch gun rights activist whose remarks at the NRA convention last year — "If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year" — prompted a Secret Service investigation.

Said Stockman: "I am excited to have a patriot like Ted Nugent joining me in the House Chamber to hear from President Obama. After the address I'm sure Ted will have plenty to say."

Nugent tweeted on Monday afternoon: "well well well, there will be a freedom addicted all American uppity Motown guitarplayer facing the POTUS at the SOTU addresss tomoro-lovely"

Comments

1. I think it's time to renounce my U.S. citizenship....how sad is this garbage?

Posted by: PAUL B. | Feb 11, 2013 7:48:03 PM

2. He's a patriot? Why? Because he hates blacks and liberals and loves guns? Is that what the word means these days?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 11, 2013 7:48:43 PM

3. He sucked in the 70's and he sucks now. Rock on has been who never was.

Posted by: NE Rich | Feb 11, 2013 7:50:06 PM

4. He is the most embarassing thing to come out of Detroit since the Ford Pinto.

Posted by: ARCH | Feb 11, 2013 8:11:33 PM

5. This is just asking for trouble. Nugent would have no hesitation to heckle the President during the speech. I am surprised the Secret Service and smarter members of Congress will let this happen.
    Nugent has nothing to lose by causing a scene. In fact, his base will love it!

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 11, 2013 8:19:14 PM

6. Hello? This guy is nuts. Why would anyone let him in?

Posted by: OMG | Feb 11, 2013 8:25:44 PM

7. Based on his previous threats, it should be a very easy decision to say, "Sorry, Mr. Nugent is considered a threat to the President. He can watch at home."

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 11, 2013 8:26:29 PM

8. He's made threats, was interviewed by the Secret Service, and had a notorious outburst on TV. I agree with the commenter above that there is a real risk of a disruption to the speech. It really is amazing that there is no push back on this. If I were Obama, I would move the speech and shame the GOP.

Posted by: Tio | Feb 11, 2013 8:32:39 PM

9. whenever I hear the conservative right fawn over Nugent I have to ask why these same folks were out to crucify The Dixie Chicks a decade ago... and then I remembered it's stupid to apply logic or expect consistency to folks who have an excuse for everything and a reason for nothing.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 11, 2013 8:33:19 PM

10. We can only hope that if he shakes his finger in the face of the President, a la Governor Brewer,the Secret Service will ventilate his forehead.

Posted by: ***** | Feb 11, 2013 8:37:51 PM

11. Can I hand the GOP a mirror?

Putting on the crazy is not helping you in general elections, so you put on more crazy?

Just keep on reinforcing the old, white, male threatened stereotype and keep losing elections, but don't change one bit girls.

Posted by: bkmn | Feb 11, 2013 9:23:40 PM

12. I believe President Obama could really use this to his advantage. Call the extremist out on national television. The T(oilet) Party started moving to the fringes when that whacko hollered "you lie" from the floor. When the rest of the country sees these folks for who they really are, the will become even more marginalized, to the point that one of then will react in a very violent physical manner that will harm someone in public service and forever render the republicans as a product that will be tainted and stained by extremism. Go for it, Ted, you deserve the dishonor.

Posted by: Scott | Feb 11, 2013 9:32:49 PM

13. I almost hope he does something stupid (not hurting anybody of course). That could do a lot to move opinion towards gun control.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Feb 11, 2013 9:46:24 PM

14. @Arch: ROFLMAO

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Feb 11, 2013 9:52:47 PM

15. Isn't he the one-hit wonder who got famous (briefly) with the song "Butt Scratch Fever"?

Posted by: MajorTom | Feb 11, 2013 10:04:06 PM

16. He's an easy target. Imagine who really hates you and remains quiet. That's the danger.

Posted by: Jake | Feb 11, 2013 10:05:33 PM

17. This is disgusting. Will he be yelling out "liar!" like other republican idiots?

Posted by: Reality | Feb 11, 2013 10:05:58 PM

18. For Progressives, Gun Control Advocates, and those in the Reality Based Community:

The. Greatest. Thing. Ever!

We can only "pray," so to speak, that this cretin does, indeed, make some type of scene; hopefully of major proportions (as suggested by his quote above). There's not enough money in the world to buy the publicity that his outburst will engender on behalf of liberalism.

Posted by: dave02657 | Feb 11, 2013 10:18:21 PM

19. @Little Kiwi: this definition of "patriotism" is part of the Republican's amnesia of pre-2009 history

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Feb 11, 2013 10:29:28 PM

20. Our country has sunk so low, it is sad.

Posted by: niles | Feb 11, 2013 10:44:28 PM

21. Rarely am I motivated to use this word, but I'm afraid it applies now. He's TRASH . . .

Posted by: Carter | Feb 11, 2013 11:29:05 PM

22. It wouldn't surprise me if the man who pooped his pants to avoid the draft asked his sponsor if he'd like join him while he publicly urinates on the names of the suckers who served engraved on the Wall. Republicans and draft dodgers go together like love and marriage.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 11, 2013 11:35:22 PM

23. He's an awful person, but I'm quite sure that he's been warned about his behavior at a presidential speech inside Congress.

That said, I would love for him to try something (even a rant) and be taken out by security. Though he'd just be escorted out; no way would he get in with weapons. Still, it's really a sad state of affairs.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 12, 2013 12:06:43 AM

24. Ted Nutgent.

Posted by: Hippie | Feb 12, 2013 12:24:31 AM

25. @ARCH: Please don't disrespect the Pinto by comparing it to him. The Pinto exploded only literally.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 12, 2013 12:31:11 AM