"Ex-Gays" | Chris Christie | Gay Youth | New Jersey | News

As NJ Legislature Considers Ban on 'Gay Conversion Therapy', Chris Christie Says He's Undecided On It

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie does not have an opinion yet on a bill under consideration in the New Jersey legislature that would ban so-called 'gay conversion therapy', the Star-Ledger reports:

Christie"I'm of two minds just on this stuff in general," he said at a news conference at Stone Harbor Elementary School. "Number one, I think there should be lots of deference given to parents on raising their children. I don't — this is a general philosophy, not to his bill — generally philosophically, on bills that restrict parents ability to make decisions on how to care for their children, I'm generally a skeptic of those bills. Now, there can always be exceptions to those rules and this bill may be one of them."

As is his practice with most legislation, Christie said he had yet to look at the bill and won't until it gets to his desk.

The New Jersey Senate Health Committee advanced the bill in a 7-1 vote this week following some powerful testimony, which included that of Jacob Rudolph, the Parsippany High School senior who came out to his entire class at an awards show in January. Watch it HERE.

Comments

1. Off topic:

Has the font or type face for the comments section changed? It looks different on both my laptop and iPad. I preferred the old style better.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 21, 2013 7:53:54 AM

2. Bet he looked in the Fridge

Posted by: Joe | Mar 21, 2013 8:25:43 AM

3. THIS is the great hope of the GOP? Another transparent panderer to bigots for their votes?

Posted by: ettumama | Mar 21, 2013 8:35:50 AM

4. It's going to be absolutely hilarious to watch these Republicans like Christie, who understand our equality is inevitable, tiptoe and teeter around these issues such that they don't piss of the Santorum crowd while simultaneously remaining relevant. What a delight!

Posted by: kpo5 | Mar 21, 2013 8:41:38 AM

5. Umm, when was he the great hope of the GOP? They won't even invite him to their messy conventions. But yes, he panders but also prevails, and I say that as a textbook Dem.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 21, 2013 8:42:01 AM

6. Did anyone actually believe that Christie would sign this bill? I mean, we saw what he did to marriage in NJ, didn't we?

Posted by: Keppler | Mar 21, 2013 9:01:47 AM

7. Like all Republicans Christie is pandering to an electorate that no longer exists.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 21, 2013 9:07:00 AM

8. Jesus H Christ !

Wake up Chris Christie.......therapy to alter your child's orientation is an assault !
    "Philosophically" or otherwise parents are not allowed assault their kids.
    This does not constitute "interference" in parental rights.....it is the prohibition of a criminal act........or what should be a criminal act.

Christie seem to dribble whatever comes into his head without having a considered position on the issue.

OFF TOPIC:

@ Brian in Texas:
    Yeah, I too preferred the older font/size.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 21, 2013 9:35:53 AM

9. @Brian in Texas: Agreed. It's harder to read the white-on-black with the new font, at least for me.

As for the topic: Conversion therapy is not "care for children." If a parent forced a child to get skin bleaching it would not be "care." I could make up a lot of other examples. Parents have a duty of care, and this is not care.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 21, 2013 9:56:59 AM

10. Given his presidential ambitions he will veto it. Just like he vetoed Civil Unions. He is nothing but a morbidly fat narcissist

Posted by: Steve | Mar 21, 2013 10:10:34 AM

11. Does this DB ever look like he's not sweating?!?

Posted by: Johnny | Mar 21, 2013 11:05:08 AM

12. Why oh Why is he such a two faced lying idiot? Read it first before commenting or STFU. What a waste of human flesh.
    Young kids are being damaged DAILY and this loser gives his uninformed opinion about parental control? Go away you obese idiot.

Posted by: SFshawn | Mar 21, 2013 11:22:09 AM

13. I agree with Brian in Texas. I thought it was something I did in my browser, and I've been trying to undo it for days.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 21, 2013 4:43:33 PM

14. Although I'm not generally a fan of Chris Christie, I sympathize with the position he's in here. He's personally pro-gay (I think) but has to not come across as too socially liberal if he wants a future in the Republican party. The country is at a real crossroads with all gay rights issues.

I know little about reparative therapy. Obviously if dangerous drugs ord procedures are being used on people to change their sexual orientation this shouldn't be allowed. But what about those who are gay (or think they're gay) and WANT to change their orientation? In the vein of "as long as they're not hurting anyone" thinking, shouldn't they be free to try to change? After all, in America we generally think that a person should be able to fashion his life as he pleases. To tell him to remain in any condition or state he doesn't like being in is generally considered the equivalent of consigning him to a form of slavery, a sort of half-life, depriving him of his true humanity. There will always be people who will want to change conditions about themselves that others would view with pride.

Of course, some of these people may realize that they are gay and it's not something that can change. But others MAY be able to change and I don't see why they should be prevented from doing so. In fairness, if a straight person wanted to be gay he would have the right to try to change in THIS direction also.

The issue of whether parents have the right to try to FORCE minors to try to change is another question - a much thornier one. But I'm referring to adults mostly.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 21, 2013 9:17:03 PM

15. @ Mary
    the issue here is minors, so whatever strawman argument ur presenting is lame. go away

Posted by: Todd | Mar 23, 2013 3:37:03 AM