CPAC | News

BigGayDeal.com

Racist CPAC Attendee Claims White People 'Systematically Disenfranchised:' VIDEO

CPACRacist

Conservative activist Scott Terry says he fell in love with his white culture while studying literature at an unnamed university. Also, he believes that the federal government is trying to "systematically disenfranchise" white people. These comments came at a CPAC panel called "Trump the Race Card: Are You Sick and Tired of Being Called a Racist and You Know You're Not One?", which was dedicated to expanding the Republican Party's reach within minority communities.

As if that's not bad enough, Terry went on to say that black slaves should have been grateful for the food and shelter their white captors provided and admonished a woman for questioning his Tea Party credentials. "I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public," he reportedly said.

ThinkProgress offers more details:

The exchange occurred after an audience member from North Carolina, 30-year-old Scott Terry, asked whether Republicans could endorse races remaining separate but equal. After the presenter, K. Carl Smith of Frederick Douglass Republicans, answered by referencing a letter by Frederick Douglass forgiving his former master, the audience member said "For what? For feeding him and housing him?" Several people in the audience cheered and applauded Terry’s outburst.

After the exchange, Terry muttered under his breath, "why can't we just have segregation?" noting the Constitution’s protections for freedom of association.

ThinkProgress spoke with Terry, who sported a Rick Santorum sticker and attended CPAC with a friend who wore a Confederate Flag-emblazoned t-shirt, about his views after the panel. Terry maintained that white people have been "systematically disenfranchised" by federal legislation.

When asked by ThinkProgress if he'd accept a society where African-Americans were permanently subservient to whites, he said "I'd be fine with that." He also claimed that African-Americans "should be allowed to vote in Africa," and that "all the Tea Parties" were concerned with the same racial problems that he was.
At one point, a woman challenged him on the Republican Party's roots, to which Terry responded, "I didn't know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public."

Again, just as a reminder: Terry claims to base his outlandishly, shockingly racist politics on his literature degree, a degree given from an unnamed school for the study of unspecified letters. So Terry either attended KKK U, has a severe case of temporal dyslexia or is just a terrible racist, the type against whom the odds are thankfully stacked.

Watch video of Terry's outburst AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. I'm not sure that there's any other way to say F him. CPAC is a massive joke that is falling on its own sword.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 16, 2013 12:11:15 PM

2. He's all yours, folks! Enjoy!

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Mar 16, 2013 12:13:26 PM

3. So you found one weirdo at a conference. Woohoo! No weirdos at Netroots conferences, or anything.

Posted by: NotA | Mar 16, 2013 12:19:36 PM

4. "It's not our message--it's how we articulate it". Glad to see racism and bigotry are alive and well in the conservative ranks.

Posted by: Burt | Mar 16, 2013 12:20:03 PM

5. And this asshat said all this at a panel sub-titled: Are You Sick and Tired of Being Called a Racist and You Know You're Not One?

But ya are, Blanche, ya are...

Posted by: graphicjack | Mar 16, 2013 12:31:24 PM

6. Conservatives really are fvcking insane. It's scary that anyone would be proud to consider themselves one.

Posted by: Pigs | Mar 16, 2013 12:31:59 PM

7. Let's not get too self-congratulatory. There's plenty of (often subtle) racism among progressives as well. We are socialized into a racist society, after all.

Starting the day, we get constant messaging that white is normative. Why do you think little black boys and girls say the white doll is smarter, harder-working, and more beautiful than the black doll? Even Anderson Cooper did a story on this & it's on Youtube: "Study shows how children view race bias."

Posted by: redball | Mar 16, 2013 12:42:17 PM

8. @NotA-
    Netroots is not billed as a way for Democrats to pick leaders, or to pick the next Prez candidate. It's a progressive conference for sure, but not solely political. CPAC is.

And this guy is more than a weirdo. I can't repeat what I told my boyfriend, but I hope he say this at the right place and the right time, and someone will teach him a lesson.

If I lived in NC, and he was saying those sorts of things at a uni or college around me and within earhsot of my bf, he wouldn't be saying them anymore.

Posted by: scott | Mar 16, 2013 12:44:28 PM

9. As someone who has spent his life studying and performing (European) classical music, I guess I am as proud of that culture (although I wouldn't call it "white" --that seems silly) as anyone. That doesn't mean that I can't apply the same critical skills to listening to jazz, the blues, or music from India, China, Bali or West Africa. Actually those skills HELP me appreciate the other forms of music. At the very least I know what questions to ask when confronted with music or theater I don't fully understand. As someone whose primary performance and research area is opera, I'm also fascinated by other forms of theater and musical/dramatic performance. Most cultures have them and when stripped of the surface detail we find that they are far more alike than they are different. People telling their stories and values to each other. It's a powerful tradition, not just the European works but all of it. I'm sad for this man who can't take what he learned from European literature and apply it the literature from the rest of the world. I can love my own Scandinavian heritage without thinking that the rest of the cultures are inferior. I can be proud of my own, without denigrating others. I don't understand what's so hard about this. I encourage people to explore their own cultural heritage and then share it with others (sharing meaning learning about others as you teach them about what you know).

Posted by: Houndentenor | Mar 16, 2013 12:55:58 PM

10. Who decorated that room?

Posted by: Will | Mar 16, 2013 12:56:31 PM

11. He is telling the truth about the real republican philosophy. The GOP need only to hint and double-talk about their true racial feelings for someone like him to feel at home in the party. People like him pick up on the covert racism (and often quite overt and blatant) promulgated by the GOP. Party leaders must be having a fit because he revealed the truth so effectively.

Posted by: ian | Mar 16, 2013 1:05:03 PM

12. To be fair, the audience in the room seemed appalled by his comment. The woman in the front row is shocked; her jaw literally drops.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Mar 16, 2013 1:14:07 PM

13. What a charming man... Absolutely weak in the knees, am I.

Here's to hoping he dies soon. Painfully. And slowly.

Posted by: DeeperStill | Mar 16, 2013 1:23:23 PM

14. Last I checked, people were entitled to their opinion, and so is this man.

Posted by: JROC | Mar 16, 2013 1:43:15 PM

15. @scott are you this passionate against homophobia? You're basically saying that you would go out of your way to ensure this man's first amendment rights were completely taken away if you lived near him because of his racism. There's homophobic stories reported every single hour on here, many with extreme hate, where's your outrage there?

Posted by: J | Mar 16, 2013 1:46:49 PM

16. We have to evolve to a place where European/white people can celebrate their roots and culture as well without feeling as though it's a threat to others. Of course, this man isn't a healthy example of that. But we can't say every race, creed and coloring is able to celebrate their culture and being except white people. That will increasingly harbor more irrational outbursts like this. I'm not white either, I'm Asian, but culturally speaking, everyone should be entitled to be proud of who and what they are. That certainly includes Caucasians, as it does others.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 16, 2013 1:50:21 PM

17. Can someone tell us who don't know; is CPAC well attended? How many attendees? Is it a massive scale event? Just curious.

Posted by: Richard | Mar 16, 2013 1:59:52 PM

18. As a liberal I always enjoy watching clips of CPAC. The more these fools talk the more the majority of America is turned off. They're just a bunch of extremists.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Mar 16, 2013 2:10:04 PM

19. I'm sorry, but when are white people NOT allowed to celebrate their culture? What day is tomorrow? I appreciate all cultures, but this notion that white people are disenfranchised is absurd.

Posted by: Ajai | Mar 16, 2013 2:16:01 PM

20. we do live in a climate where it seems perfectly acceptable to be discriminatory toward white people in language and it's cute and funny. I don't believe it is. Prejudice is prejudice, and anti white remarks and comments are equally bad.

Posted by: Just a thought | Mar 16, 2013 3:00:16 PM

21. The comments on here often show reverse racism toward caucasian men. Ever notice how some say 'white trash' or 'cracker' well if a derogatory term against one group is offensive, so is a term against another. I agree with the poster above. Be objective.

Posted by: Utope | Mar 16, 2013 3:01:27 PM

22. Blacks need to stop supporting the Republicans already!...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Mar 16, 2013 3:12:25 PM

23. Over at Democratic Underground you find the strangest sort of person. To be fair, you find this sort of person all over the place. He is the not-racist.

You see, speaking the truth about race, culture, and relations is racist in these people's book. But as is typical of these professional not-racists, they lives lives unexamined.

They talk about "dog whistles". Well here are some dog whistles for you:

• "We moved to Outlandia because it's safe" (in other words, there are very few black people)

• "We moved to Outlandia because they have good schools." (In other words, we were too cheap to pay for private schools, too lazy to homeschool, and the schools in Outlandia have very few black people)

• "We love the diversity here." (In other words, this place has some well heeled black people, other minorities, and foreigners but is still majority WASP.)

• "Gentrification is making the neighborhood too expensive and losing some of its character." (In other words, white people are moving back to a neighborhood they were driven out of 60 years ago.)

Everyone is a racist. Some are more honest about it than others.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 16, 2013 3:14:56 PM

24. Just shows you how sick and anti-American republicans really are.

Posted by: Art | Mar 16, 2013 3:22:09 PM

25. And the say racism is dead and that there's no longer a need for stuff like Affirmative Action.

Posted by: Kahoko | Mar 16, 2013 3:32:10 PM