Art and Design | News | San Francisco

BigGayDeal.com

Starting Tonight, SF Bay Bridge to Host Spectacular Light Show for the Next Two Years: VIDEO

Bridge

For the next two years starting tonight, San Francisco's Bay Bridge will host artist Leo Villareal's magnificent installation "The Bay Lights", a shimmering LED sculpture that draws its inspiration from the bridge's surroundings - boats, waves, clouds, the city itself.

The project has been privately financed for $8 million.

Fantastic.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. My family and I have been watching the Bay Bridge lights from our deck at home the last few nights as they are being tested. It is awesome! We are going to a restaurant on the Embarcadero tonight for the official start.

Posted by: DB | Mar 5, 2013 2:08:27 PM

2. I miss my hometown. I wish I could see this.

Posted by: Zee | Mar 5, 2013 2:28:36 PM

3. What about all the electricity that is being used? Doesn't seem very green. Maybe they should have invested in solar panels, too!

Posted by: Meeee | Mar 5, 2013 2:49:54 PM

4. It should be a magnificent sight. can't wait to see it soon! And as for the 'greenery' aspect, PG&E, despite their corporate faults (which are several more than several), will be nearing 40% non-carbon sources for electricity in the near future. I think that compares quite favorably to the rest of the country.

Posted by: BillinSonoma | Mar 5, 2013 3:20:15 PM

5. Melee - the energy costs are about $15.00 a night. Even in this quantity, LEDs have a very small carbon footprint.

Posted by: dbaudit | Mar 5, 2013 5:10:10 PM

6. A great reason to visit an already fabulous city.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 5, 2013 5:44:40 PM

7. The lights along the main cables (the curved ones hanging from one tower to another and to the anchorage) were only put in maybe in the 70's. First incandescent bulbs (cheap and fast) then something more efficient. LED's are so much more efficient maybe they've replaced them again. The Golden Gate Bridge towers were lit quite subtly by a lighting designer maybe in the 80's. The whole idea of lighting up buildings and bridges is a fairly modern one. The Empire State Building recently went LED also. Less power, less labor (no gel changing), pure colors.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 5, 2013 9:43:16 PM

8. Lights are cool. They did something similar to the Chicago Skyway Bridge, when they refurbished it, but not with traveling lights. It dressed up an otherwise dreary bridge, and makes me a little less bitter about paying $3.50 to cross the bridge. This should be great for tourism...plenty of people go just to see the bridge, now with a light show! Like LiteBrite on steroids...LOL

Posted by: millerbeach | Mar 6, 2013 4:32:55 AM

9. Did some idiot just say "carbon footprint"? There appears to be a sucker born every minute.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 6, 2013 11:11:28 AM

10. I was in the city and enjoyed the Bay Bridge. I wanted to share with you my fun video:

Video, Lights at Night at the Bay Bridge: