Football (American) | News | Sportrait

BigGayDeal.com

CBS Sports: NFL Player Considering Coming Out of the Closet

Mike Freeman at CBS Sports wrote today that he believes a current NFL player is considering coming out of the closet:

NflWhile I've long believed I would not see an openly gay NFL player for decades, that might be wrong.

Based on interviews over the past several weeks with current and former players, I'm told that a current gay NFL player is strongly considering coming out publicly within the next few months -- and after doing so, the player would attempt to continue his career.

Freeman says that despite the recent homophobic Chris Culliver incident and the issues at this year's Combine, "I'm told this player feels the time is now for someone to take this step..."

This player's true concern, I'm told, is not the reaction inside an NFL locker room but outside of it. The player fears he will suffer serious harm from homophobic fans, and that is the only thing preventing him from coming out. My sources will not say who this alleged player is.

Comments

1. YES!

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Mar 25, 2013 6:56:55 PM

2. I thought Randy Moss retired.

Posted by: Bell Bilichek | Mar 25, 2013 7:12:16 PM

3. I would say Tebow but he doesn't have the balls.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 25, 2013 7:17:03 PM

4. I bet it's a WR or DB.

Posted by: Laying Odds | Mar 25, 2013 7:20:01 PM

5. Brady Quinn

Posted by: Dave | Mar 25, 2013 7:32:18 PM

6. I would love for Tebow to come out. And then say that he's a bottom and fantasizes about being taken by the whole team in the showers after a game.

At least that's what I'm fapping to right now.

Posted by: Francine | Mar 25, 2013 7:33:07 PM

7. Riiiight. We were supposed to have a NHL player come out a few weeks ago. I'll believe it when it happens.

Posted by: guest | Mar 25, 2013 7:39:28 PM

8. I thought special teams (kicker, punter) and not WR or DB, but I will happily accept any NFL player who came out. He would have millions of instant fans. My family are die-hard football fans. If a player came out, they'd be rallying around him for having bigger balls than King Kong. Unless he were a Cowboy. Then they'd hate him. But they'd hate him not for being gay, but for being a Cowboy.

Posted by: bravo | Mar 25, 2013 7:43:44 PM

9. I heard it was QB Rex Evans of the New York Hawks.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Mar 25, 2013 7:47:32 PM

10. Come out or don't but enough with this "thinking about it" b.s.

Posted by: cam | Mar 25, 2013 7:50:56 PM

11. tiebow makes a perverse kind of sense, and oh boy does he ever read as gay. it would shock me the least, in many ways.

Posted by: bandanajack | Mar 25, 2013 8:02:29 PM

12. You are all such voyeuristic munchkins, clamoring for others to come out while hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

Posted by: rise | Mar 25, 2013 8:08:45 PM

13. Cam, it took me about 7 years from when I realized I was gay until I came out. I don't care how long it takes. Let him come out when he's good and ready.

Posted by: bravo | Mar 25, 2013 8:12:45 PM

14. @BearlyBob

;-)

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 25, 2013 8:20:36 PM

15. You'd think at this point the NFL would offer a bonus to the first guy just to get their homophobia off the front page...

Posted by: BobN | Mar 25, 2013 8:33:57 PM

16. I really don't think the sports world is ready for it, and if you read comments on issues regarding homosexuality in sports, there will DEFINITELY be major fan backlash. But at the same time, momentum is clearly on our side. Is it best now to come out when the spotlight is at it's peak? It may be.

Brendon Ayanbadejo said that homophobic slurs are common in the locker room. And that's with him in the locker room in Baltimore. And we know NFL coaches/executives just tried to essentially witch hunt a gay player during the NFL draft combine. So I'm not really sure this is the right time. Clearly we're getting close, though. I think if the Prop 8/DOMA cases rule in our favor, we'll see someone come out. And the floodgates would open even more.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 25, 2013 8:55:45 PM

17. I really don't think the sports world is ready for it, and if you read comments on issues regarding homosexuality in sports, there will DEFINITELY be major fan backlash. But at the same time, momentum is clearly on our side. Is it best now to come out when the spotlight is at it's peak? It may be.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 25, 2013 8:55:46 PM

18. Wow. It would be a huge event. If you, the player, are reading this, you would be hero in the truest sense of the word. Yes, there would be some short term pain, but in the long term, think Jackie Robinson. A legend.

Posted by: Dave | Mar 25, 2013 9:09:07 PM

19. "If a player came out, they'd be rallying around him for having bigger balls than King Kong"--hahah awesome quote. This is very true. I fear that the fan backlash would ruin his career, but someone has to be "the first" to break down barriers.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 25, 2013 9:33:32 PM

20. Francis: The same was said about the hip-hop community but Frank Ocean seems to be doing fairly well. Much like the repeal of DADT in a hyper-masculine military, I don't think we'll ever see any forward momentum in professional sports until someone has the courage to come out. It's about breaking stereotypes. It's about showing people that you can be gay while also being capable of . Talking about it and surveying people and all the hypothetical stuff will never be the same as having it actually happen.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 25, 2013 9:34:18 PM

21. Towleroad ate part of my comment. It used to say, "It's about showing people that you can be gay while also being capable of (insert macho activity/skill/job here)."

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 25, 2013 9:36:06 PM

22. One of the important things that homophobes in the stands forget is that there are gay Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Airmen fighting and dying so they can spout off their ignorant drivel at someone earning more in a year than most of them will in a lifetime. If the Marines can get over serving with a gay man or woman, then footballers can get over playing with a gay guy. Yes, I said playing with. You know what I mean. Being on a team with a couple of gay guys.

Posted by: ***** | Mar 25, 2013 10:10:01 PM

23. I agree with you, Ryan, but at the same time there is still A LOT of discrimination within the military. There is still a lot of people in the military who are closeted. And there still isn't equality on a legal level. DADT hasn't been solved yet and coming out alone won't fix the culture, that takes the culture improving itself.

I want to see a player come out, but I can see why they're scared, and I would be scared for them. The fan reaction ain't gonna be pretty. And Frank Ocean is an R&B artist whose music transcends any single culture. But we've made tons of progress and things are still improving, so we'll see. You're right, it's going to take someone coming out for things to really change in the sports world.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 25, 2013 10:17:18 PM

24. I rarely pay attention to football (prefer the European variety), but would immediately start watching this player & his team out of principle.

Posted by: Blake | Mar 25, 2013 10:53:55 PM

25. If he has been in the NFL for a few years and has already made a bundle of money, then mabye he should come out. His football skills will no longer be the center of attention, his sexual orientation will dominate every discussion about him. He will be hounded by media about his sexuality and asked to offer opinions on every gay issue under the sun. Chances are all the hoopla will force him to cut his career short.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 25, 2013 10:54:41 PM