Gay Marriage | Marie Osmond | News

Marie Osmond Speaks Out for Marriage Equality: VIDEO

Marie_osmond

Marie Osmond tells Diane Sawyer she believes in marriage equality:

"The God that I believe in is a god of love, not fear. I don't tell my children if you're not good you're going to Hell. I tell my children that God will be there for them when they struggle. That's the God I believe in...I believe in [my lesbian daughter's] civil rights, as a mother. I think my daughter deserves everything that she desires in life. She's a good girl. She's a wonderful child. I don't think God made one color flower. I think he made many..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Marie's oldest brother Alan and his wife served as emcees for a rally this week "benefitting the protection of marriage between a man and a woman" at the Utah capitol.

Comments

1. Thank you.

Posted by: Jim Brown | Mar 29, 2013 8:39:11 PM

2. Good for her! What a great mom!

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Mar 29, 2013 8:44:54 PM

3. I guess if your teen son (thought to be gay) throws himself off the top of a building in Los Angeles, you reassess even if you're a Mormon.

Posted by: LessonLearned | Mar 29, 2013 8:50:39 PM

4. Jon Huntsman, Harry Reid, and now another prominent Mormon supporting marriage equality. The dominoes are falling.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Mar 29, 2013 8:52:19 PM

5. Gee, that's a relief. Couldn't live without the approval/acceptance of the towering figure of authenticity, Marie Watsername. I'm surprised she can even speak at all with so much collagen in those lips and botox, etc. in the rest of her formerly nice face.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Mar 29, 2013 9:01:30 PM

6. Of course the bitter queens come out and criticize her looks or the way her son died and the possible impact she and her religion had on his depression. We should be thankful for another ally (though I'm cynical just a bit that she said "civil rights" - what does she define as that...marriage or civil union?).

She ends with "It's only a mistake if you stay there." We are still accepting of the Clintons, Obama, etc. from them evolving on SSM. We should be accepting of her at least for this issue. Of course politically I agree with the Clintons and Obama, et. al. far more than Republicans (and I used to be one), but at least on the issue of SSM we should be thankful they are still not making at least that mistake.

Posted by: Barca | Mar 29, 2013 9:27:01 PM

7. I'm really happy to know that she supports marriage equality,
    not only because it is one more voice on our side in the battle for equality but also because it is bound to make the lives of many gay Mormon youth a little bit better. Bravo to Marie Osmond!

And as for you, WebHybrid...I wonder what *you* look like?! I think Marie Osmond looks amazing!

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 29, 2013 9:28:29 PM

8. The Little Collagen That Could.

Posted by: Ant | Mar 29, 2013 9:32:27 PM

9. She's obviously a nice person. It's just a shame she has to filter reality through this "god" nonsense.

Posted by: danswon | Mar 29, 2013 9:45:14 PM

10. As a cultural conservative who came to support SSM, maybe I could give Marie a little advice on how to defend her newly-held political view. Here is the best argument for SSM from a culturally conservative viewpoint. Isn't it hypocritical to condemn gays (especially gay men) for promiscuity and then deny them marriage, something that could make them monogamous? A cultural of gay monogamy may not exist now, but it may need institutional support to be established and thrive. As for the jolt that some still get when seeing a same-sex couple wed, well, every tradition has to start somewhere, right?

To say that you support gay rights because God made them gay (and that's what she's implying) is bizarre. And should you base social policy on what your children desire, no matter how much you love them? Nor should anyone familiar with the Bible deny that God tells us to fear him as well as love him.

I always liked Marie, but she's starting to make Sarah Palin sound intelligent.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 29, 2013 10:02:31 PM

11. I'm sorry, but I must have missed the part where she expressly stated that she supports marriage equality.

Posted by: Boston | Mar 29, 2013 10:13:02 PM

12. I think her openness regarding her support for SSM is fantastic. I never would have guessed she held that progressive of a view given her church and family. Good for her.

Posted by: Geoff M | Mar 29, 2013 10:13:07 PM

13. Watching the rats desert the SS Gay Hate now that it's sinking is marvelously entertaining.

Watching the naive mistake this for action based on principle is less so.

But what's really disappointing is the failure of journalists to draw obvious parallels with the period in American history when public racism became unacceptable. Just think of the hundreds of hysterically hypocritical quotes to choose from.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 29, 2013 10:18:21 PM

14. I had seen this on-air.
    Notice that she CAREFULLY AVOIDS stating clearly a position that is contrary to the morhole church, but she pushes the other mormons a bit on the issue.
    Yes, commenting on her looks is fair game, because she has modified them to keep up her career: she is so botoxed that she could not show the sadness when she spoke of her son. In the old clips, you could see her upper teeth all the time.

Posted by: Bob | Mar 29, 2013 11:10:53 PM

15. Mary: You've got some much loosening up to do yet. You sound bunched up and tense.

Posted by: to Mary | Mar 29, 2013 11:15:22 PM

16. Some of this picking apart every person who comes out for marraige equality now for not being Harvey Milk from the start is getting tiring. We're gonna judge her for plastic surgery or botox- will we toss Cher, Dolly Parton & Liza Minelli as well since they must also be phonies. And the part about God created her gay is actually reaffirming that homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice or some temporary response to 'evil' society. Its reconciling her belief in God and her belief that homosexuality is a geniune orientation.

As someone who really struggled with their own identity I am not going to fault every late advocate for not leading the march. Especially those who never actively campaigned or fought against us- which Clinton actually did.

Posted by: robroy | Mar 29, 2013 11:16:17 PM

17. We gay people are doing ourselves a tremendous disservice but not at least trying to get this tremendous chip off our shoulders.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 29, 2013 11:23:48 PM

18. Some of you bitches really need to get a life.

Posted by: Gigi | Mar 29, 2013 11:33:01 PM

19. I agree jack musting forgiveness can go along way.
    Just keep your eyes open.
    How can one ask to be forgiven when you have none.
    And no I don't believe in fairy tales.

Posted by: doug105 | Mar 29, 2013 11:39:46 PM

20. She may not have expressively said she's for marriage equality, but her comments regarding being inclusive, loving and being for the civil rights of her daughter work almost as well and are a definite positive and step in the right direction in making it easier and bringing support to the many struggling and closeted gay Mormons.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2013 11:53:00 PM

21. Hear, hear robroy and gigi

Posted by: jhr459 | Mar 29, 2013 11:57:15 PM

22. Thank you, Marie

Posted by: Marty | Mar 29, 2013 11:58:55 PM

23. Marie Osmond said more or less that we are created gay and that God loves us as gay. That's actually a way more important thing to say than stating marriage equality support. That's actually supporting US as who we are. That's a big deal, especially given Marie's status as one of the most notable Mormons in the country. Comments like hers can spur at the very least a debate within the Mormon community on the issue of homosexuality where there hasn't been too much of one. That's a very positive thing and we should commend her.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 30, 2013 12:05:07 AM

24. Remember too she's basically bucking the views of the rest of the Osmond family and the Mormon church at large, so yeah, she may not have specifically said she's for marriage equality but she did affirm our existences as gay and she does support her lesbian daughter as who she is. It's a great thing.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 30, 2013 12:08:25 AM

25. Marie is progressive and taking a stand. She is on our side!!!. She also looks fantastic!!!

Diane Sawyer also looks rather stunning for being 67 years old.

I want some of that magic age reducing stuff that they have.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 30, 2013 12:27:31 AM