Michelle Shocked Said She’ll Be Showing Up to Her Canceled Show Tonight; Venue Tells Her ‘Don’t Come’

Mccabes
(image source)

Michele Shocked told followers on Twitter yesterday that she would show up at McCabe’s in Santa Monica despite the fact that they had announced cancelation of her show over her anti-gay remarks (listen to them HERE), according to the Hollywood Reporter:

2_shockedFriday afternoon, the beleaguered singer tweeted that she would be appearing at Saturday night at McCabe’s in Santa Monica for a “speaking engagement” on the subject of “Effects of Gay-Bashing on the L.A. Mayoral Race.”

This came as news to the club — and not good news.

“She is not welcome at McCabe’s,” said the venue’s angry concert director, Lincoln Myerson, who had just learned about Shocked’s vow — or threat — to show up after he got calls regarding the singer’s mysterious tweet.

McCabe's had not heard from Shocked since they announced her show's cancelation. Neither had any of the other 10 venues which canceled.

THR adds:

“Had Michelle attempted to talk to me [about taking part in some kind of nonmusical forum], I might have attempted to work something out with her." Myerson said. "But for her to go rogue on this shows that she’s her own sheriff. If she wants to do it at the park down the street, she can do it there, but she can’t do it at McCabe’s. I’m not intending to clean up this mess for her. I wish I could get on and tweet, ‘Hey, it’s at her house — here’s her address.'"

Asked by The Hollywood Reporter via Twitter if she intended to make her "appearance" some sort of guerrilla action, Shocked, who was arrested two years ago at an Occupy protest, responded: "OK, OCCU-PIE!!" She also retweeted a fan who said: "You mean like on the sidewalk in front of @McCabesGuitar? It doesn't get much more punk rock than that. I'm there."

The police have been alerted to a possible appearance by Shocked and/or angry activists.

Stay tuned…

Comments

1. Disgusted says

All of this publicity for Shocked has provided me a warning. I will never buy any of her music.

2. says

I know I’m not the first to say so, but the more I read, the more I think it’s a medication issue. Which doesn’t mean she’s not responsible for what she said, but does mean she probably needs some help.

3. AJ says

This isn’t the first time she has said outrageously anti-gay things either. Check out her Wikipedia page. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but not after I read that she called herself “the world’s biggest homophobe” at a concert. Go f yourself, Michelle. Get help!

4. ABE says

Isn’t this giving the bigot free publicity, kind of like when the Catholic League complains about a Jesus film it just increases awareness of and possible interest in the film?

5. unruly says

McCabe’s is awesome (and my personal guitar shop since it’s down the street from me here in Santa Monica.) She should really just f off.

6. Matt26 says

Perhaps she should take few steps back, calm down and then take new steps: Meet glbt people, talk to them, tell to the public she is changing her views (if she really is), make a public apology (when she can honestly do it and mean it) and accepting people are different. I mean, if it is the outcome from those meetings. If she follows her current steps, her career will be over yesterday.
    I actually feel sorry for her.

7. says

So expect a big pro gay, anti Shocked turnout…..for the “world’s biggest homophobe”….and with the Westborough Baptist Church, that’s quite the boast.

8. says

I don’t feel sorry for her at all. If she “needs help” she should get it on her own.

If she goes through with her threat I trust McCabe’s wil call the police.

9. Arrant says

Wow chasmader, having trouble keeping up with current events? Shocked isn’t gay. Maybe bisexual. Most likely she “Anne Hached” for a period in the nineties to appeal to her fan base.

10. Tara says

No sympathy or love for McCabe’s. I read a press report which said that McCabe’s held out on canceling her for as long as possible because they didn’t want to be seen as caving to gay activists. And a rep from McCabe’s complained mostly about how she didn’t communicate with them. So concerned were they about not caving to the gays, they had very little to say about the homophobia.

Screw them. If they were decent people, they would cancel her promptly not because of any outside pressure, but because they wouldn’t want anyone spewing hate in their establishment.

11. SoLeftImRight says

Put a fork in her, she’s done. I thought she was done many years ago. Who even knew she still played music? Helluva way to try to revive a dead career.

12. observer says

I agree with Steve Scarborough: She should absolutely be held accountable, while she clearly needs help. Like Randy Quaid and Bobby Fischer before her.

Paranoid schizophrenia ain’t pretty.

13. A FRIEND says

She should shut up, go home, and try again after a year attempting to grasp just how out of line she has become with contemporary audiences. Besides help, that’s what she needs to get.

14. Paul R says

She denigrates the term punk to call herself one. I’ve been an out punk since I was about 11, and I go to a punk bar far more than gay bars in SF. Everyone there knows I’m gay and no one cares.

Shocked can go to hell. I know plenty of people who need meds, and they take them. If they don’t, friends intervene. She’s clearly just a terrible person.

15. StevyD says

I hope she can find comfort in her God because she will find no comfort from her former career.

16. Grant says

It is my fervent hope that all news sources – including this one – stop giving her virtual column inches.

17. MichaelJ says

I agree with Steve Scarborough. She needs help, though she is responsible for her own actions and need to accept the consequences.

No one should assume she doesn’t know any out gay people or that she herself is simply a closet case. She’s been around plenty of gay people and politically progressive people, having toured with Billy Bragg and Bruce Cockburn. She and Bragg and other politically left musicians did a fundraising tour in the late 1980s for US activists. A old friend of mine who knew someone involved in the tour was disappointed to learn that Shocked was straight and not a lesbian.

18. Stephen says

Uhhhh…yea. And have the department of mental health there with a straight jacket ready to take her away.

19. Ninong says

Michelle was no doubt shocked when the Rapture claimed all her remaining tour stops.

Who’s sorry now? Who’s sad and blue? Who’s cryin’, too?

20. Ottograph says

Your so-called career is over, Michelle. But don’t worry, it’s in God’s plan. 😉

21. Einar says

So bizarre. I had forgotten about her sometime in the very early 1990s, and before that was sure she was a lesbian. Huh. Odd. Had no idea she turned into some reborn fundie homophobe.

I agree with another poster though, after I heard her rant, it does indead sound as though she is having some sort of emotional or mental difficulties. If that’s the case, I can’t really hate her. People with mental illness need to be helped, not chastised. I had a cousin with schizophrenia who, in less lucid states, would believe that Jews were following him in cars and trying to destroy him. Not that I condone what she said, mind you…I think she needs to go away and get some treatment. She doesn’t sound well at all. But, I don’t think she’s deserving of hatred, as she sounds quite ill.

22. RJP3 says

She long ago was out about being bisexual. They are trouble. In and out of the closet they go. They also love to say they are not gay.

23. Paul R says

I slightly hate to admit it, but I’m with RJP3. Bisexuals have caused a lot more trouble in my life than gays, lesbians, or transsexuals.

And a lot of people think that I’m bi. Which I find hilarious.

24. Jacknasty says

I think she’s a couple of tacos, an enchilada and a side of beans and rice short of a combination platter.

She needs to get on some meds. Now.

Ironic that it’s hard to tell the difference between mental illness and religious fundamentalism. Or, maybe not so ironic…

25. Icebloo says

This is what happens when Republicans allow health insurance companies to deny mental health claims.

26. Kip says

“She’s just one more self entitled angry dyke
    Posted by: chasmader | Mar 23, 2013 12:00:35 PM”

And you perhaps are just one more misogynistic gay male?

With “friends” like you, who needs the bigoted, women-hating, Christian-right?

You and Ms. Shocked have something in common, chasmader. You’re both idiots.

27. Adam says

Why hasn’t the gay media criticized Rihanna for expressing admiration for murder musicIans who advocate the killing of gay people? Too big of a target for you?

28. Anastasia Beaverhausen says

I hope the police use a Taser on her so the headline will be “Michelle Shocked Shocked”.

29. Onnyjay says

Who is this idiot and why is Towleroad paying so much attention to her?? Consign her to the dustbin of history and be done with it.

30. jamal49 says

Steve Scarborough: the “medication” in this case is her damnable evangelical christianity, which is an odious mind drug that corrupts anyone who chooses the evangelical lifestyle.

Let her show up. I’m sure there’s enough of us who can show her that maybe she should just stick to the evangelical coffee club circuit, which is more her speed.

31. darkmoonman says

Next year, she’ll be like Sarah Palin: doing anything just to get some attention. Woman, you blew, now crawl back under your rock with your religion.

32. John says

I strongly suspect she had a manic episode and needs help, but all of the anti gay talk was hating her own gay side which she is trying to suppress. You put religion with bipolar conditions and you get trouble. I am speaking from experience. I think she has killed her career unfortunately for her. She is getting help too late.