California | Michelle Shocked | News

Michelle Shocked Said She'll Be Showing Up to Her Canceled Show Tonight; Venue Tells Her 'Don't Come'

Mccabes
(image source)

Michele Shocked told followers on Twitter yesterday that she would show up at McCabe’s in Santa Monica despite the fact that they had announced cancelation of her show over her anti-gay remarks (listen to them HERE), according to the Hollywood Reporter:

2_shockedFriday afternoon, the beleaguered singer tweeted that she would be appearing at Saturday night at McCabe’s in Santa Monica for a “speaking engagement” on the subject of “Effects of Gay-Bashing on the L.A. Mayoral Race.”

This came as news to the club -- and not good news.

“She is not welcome at McCabe’s,” said the venue’s angry concert director, Lincoln Myerson, who had just learned about Shocked’s vow -- or threat -- to show up after he got calls regarding the singer’s mysterious tweet.

McCabe's had not heard from Shocked since they announced her show's cancelation. Neither had any of the other 10 venues which canceled.

THR adds:

“Had Michelle attempted to talk to me [about taking part in some kind of nonmusical forum], I might have attempted to work something out with her." Myerson said. "But for her to go rogue on this shows that she’s her own sheriff. If she wants to do it at the park down the street, she can do it there, but she can’t do it at McCabe’s. I’m not intending to clean up this mess for her. I wish I could get on and tweet, ‘Hey, it’s at her house -- here’s her address.'"

Asked by The Hollywood Reporter via Twitter if she intended to make her "appearance" some sort of guerrilla action, Shocked, who was arrested two years ago at an Occupy protest, responded: "OK, OCCU-PIE!!" She also retweeted a fan who said: "You mean like on the sidewalk in front of @McCabesGuitar? It doesn't get much more punk rock than that. I'm there."

The police have been alerted to a possible appearance by Shocked and/or angry activists.

Stay tuned...

Comments

1. All of this publicity for Shocked has provided me a warning. I will never buy any of her music.

Posted by: Disgusted | Mar 23, 2013 11:25:40 AM

2. Who is Michelle Schocked?

Posted by: lb | Mar 23, 2013 11:31:23 AM

3. She's just a spoiled brat.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 23, 2013 11:38:53 AM

4. I know I'm not the first to say so, but the more I read, the more I think it's a medication issue. Which doesn't mean she's not responsible for what she said, but does mean she probably needs some help.

Posted by: Steve Scarborough | Mar 23, 2013 11:40:42 AM

5. This isn't the first time she has said outrageously anti-gay things either. Check out her Wikipedia page. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but not after I read that she called herself "the world's biggest homophobe" at a concert. Go f yourself, Michelle. Get help!

Posted by: AJ | Mar 23, 2013 11:43:25 AM

6. Isn't this giving the bigot free publicity, kind of like when the Catholic League complains about a Jesus film it just increases awareness of and possible interest in the film?

Posted by: ABE | Mar 23, 2013 11:44:25 AM

7. I don't think punk rock means what Shocked and her fans think it means.

Posted by: Arrant | Mar 23, 2013 11:44:36 AM

8. McCabe's is awesome (and my personal guitar shop since it's down the street from me here in Santa Monica.) She should really just f off.

Posted by: unruly | Mar 23, 2013 11:48:01 AM

9. Perhaps she should take few steps back, calm down and then take new steps: Meet glbt people, talk to them, tell to the public she is changing her views (if she really is), make a public apology (when she can honestly do it and mean it) and accepting people are different. I mean, if it is the outcome from those meetings. If she follows her current steps, her career will be over yesterday.
    I actually feel sorry for her.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 23, 2013 11:48:25 AM

10. So expect a big pro gay, anti Shocked turnout.....for the "world's biggest homophobe"....and with the Westborough Baptist Church, that's quite the boast.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 23, 2013 11:51:04 AM

11. I don't feel sorry for her at all. If she "needs help" she should get it on her own.

If she goes through with her threat I trust McCabe's wil call the police.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 23, 2013 11:53:34 AM

12. She's just one more self entitled angry dyke

Posted by: chasmader | Mar 23, 2013 12:00:35 PM

13. Uh no. She's just one more self-entitled closet case.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 23, 2013 12:12:37 PM

14. Wow chasmader, having trouble keeping up with current events? Shocked isn't gay. Maybe bisexual. Most likely she "Anne Hached" for a period in the nineties to appeal to her fan base.

Posted by: Arrant | Mar 23, 2013 12:13:36 PM

15. Send her back to Jesus.

Posted by: Bollux | Mar 23, 2013 12:20:58 PM

16. No sympathy or love for McCabe's. I read a press report which said that McCabe's held out on canceling her for as long as possible because they didn't want to be seen as caving to gay activists. And a rep from McCabe's complained mostly about how she didn't communicate with them. So concerned were they about not caving to the gays, they had very little to say about the homophobia.

Screw them. If they were decent people, they would cancel her promptly not because of any outside pressure, but because they wouldn't want anyone spewing hate in their establishment.

Posted by: Tara | Mar 23, 2013 12:41:44 PM

17. Put a fork in her, she's done. I thought she was done many years ago. Who even knew she still played music? Helluva way to try to revive a dead career.

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Mar 23, 2013 12:43:06 PM

18. I agree with Steve Scarborough: She should absolutely be held accountable, while she clearly needs help. Like Randy Quaid and Bobby Fischer before her.

Paranoid schizophrenia ain't pretty.

Posted by: observer | Mar 23, 2013 12:44:58 PM

19. She should shut up, go home, and try again after a year attempting to grasp just how out of line she has become with contemporary audiences. Besides help, that's what she needs to get.

Posted by: A FRIEND | Mar 23, 2013 12:45:40 PM

20. she's out of control.

Posted by: Reality | Mar 23, 2013 12:53:04 PM

21. She denigrates the term punk to call herself one. I've been an out punk since I was about 11, and I go to a punk bar far more than gay bars in SF. Everyone there knows I'm gay and no one cares.

Shocked can go to hell. I know plenty of people who need meds, and they take them. If they don't, friends intervene. She's clearly just a terrible person.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 23, 2013 1:16:32 PM

22. I hope she can find comfort in her God because she will find no comfort from her former career.

Posted by: StevyD | Mar 23, 2013 1:24:17 PM

23. She has a history of mental health issues.

Posted by: Ken | Mar 23, 2013 1:34:19 PM

24. It is my fervent hope that all news sources - including this one - stop giving her virtual column inches.

Posted by: Grant | Mar 23, 2013 1:34:47 PM

25. I agree with Steve Scarborough. She needs help, though she is responsible for her own actions and need to accept the consequences.

No one should assume she doesn't know any out gay people or that she herself is simply a closet case. She's been around plenty of gay people and politically progressive people, having toured with Billy Bragg and Bruce Cockburn. She and Bragg and other politically left musicians did a fundraising tour in the late 1980s for US activists. A old friend of mine who knew someone involved in the tour was disappointed to learn that Shocked was straight and not a lesbian.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Mar 23, 2013 1:53:13 PM