Brian Brown | News | NOM | Supreme Court

BigGayDeal.com

NOM President Brian Brown Compares His Hateful March Against Same-Sex Marriage to the Civil Rights Movement

NOM's Brian Brown sees himself as the leader of a movement equivalent to MLK Jr's, Right Wing Watch reports.

Said Brown to Religious Right broadcaster Janet Mefferd:

Brian_brownWe were hoping for 5,000 people and we ended up with over 10,000. We filled the whole area in front of the court when we marched. It was a diverse coalition, we had African American leaders, Hispanic leaders, State Sen. Ruben Diaz brought 30 buses from the Bronx; it was just amazing. What I was most happy about, we talked about this before the rally, the way everyone conducted themselves. We were chanting, we were united but when folks tried to get in our way, there were some gay marriage protesters who tried to get in front of the march and stop us even though we had a permit, everyone just knelt down and started praying. I was not alive during the Civil Rights Movement but this is what it must have felt like, people were just so ecstatic to stand up and they did it in a loving, respectful way but they weren’t going to be silenced.

Audio at RWW.

Comments

1. These are sad, sad people.

Posted by: coexxi | Mar 27, 2013 6:56:19 PM

2. FOLKS -- before you waste energy arguing with this jerk...
    He is a PAID SPOKESMAN, so it's a waste to tell him to change.
    Please use the energy talking to reasonable straight people who need some help understanding the cause.

Posted by: Bob | Mar 27, 2013 6:57:08 PM

3. Let's see how smug he is when he carries his own son's coffin down the aisle.

And yeah......marching to deny an historically-persecuted and oppressed group of people their equality and personhood is totally like the Civil Rights Movement....riiiight.....

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 27, 2013 7:03:06 PM

4. It's amazing that it's still snowing in the midwest with the hot air his irrelevancy spews.

Irving Berlin said it best (given that Brown's cause is losing)-modified for Bry-Bry:

Gone is the romance that was so divine.
    'tis broken and cannot be mended.
    You must go your way,
    And I must go mine.
    But now that our love dreams have ended...

Waddle I do

To tell my troubles to?

When I'm alone
    With only dreams of you
    That won't come true
    Waddle I do?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 27, 2013 7:05:18 PM

5. It's just like the civil rights movement. Except, he is the Alabama cop with the firehose.

Posted by: Keith McLaughlin | Mar 27, 2013 7:09:37 PM

6. I wish it really was like the Alabama marches, so they would have been assaulted with fire hoses and beaten by police...then he would know what fighting for equality feels like.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Mar 27, 2013 7:14:45 PM

7. They were hoping for 5.000 people? Wow. Their expectations were really quite low. Especially since declare the vast majority of people in this country support them, they had churches all over the country to draw from, and they claim history is on their side. I guess he is trying to justify his big salaries. He doesn't want to have to start looking for another job.

Posted by: john patrick | Mar 27, 2013 7:21:45 PM

8. He's HILARIOUS!

Posted by: tc in bk | Mar 27, 2013 7:31:11 PM

9. If he HAD been alive during the civil rights movement, he's realize they were plenty of God-Fearing hatemongers praying against that too.

Posted by: fanboi | Mar 27, 2013 7:38:53 PM

10. What a c*nt he is. Everyone except him seems to know that he's gay.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 27, 2013 8:34:04 PM

11. I AM ABOVE THE LAW!

Posted by: Will | Mar 27, 2013 8:46:27 PM

12. MLK must be spinning in his grave!

Posted by: jsb | Mar 27, 2013 9:04:28 PM

13. "What a c*nt he is. Everyone except him seems to know that he's gay."

Posted by: Mary | Mar 27, 2013 9:21:20 PM

14. It would marvelous if commenters here and elsewhere responded to Brown and his ilk by demolishing their arguments. Instead, we foam at the mouth, spout ad hominem attacks, and beat our chests, ironically sounding a great deal like the very people with whom we disagree.

The saddest part of this is that their tissue of lies, fallacies, and emotionalism is so pathetically easy to dismantle. Sad, because our failure to do so demonstrates that we are as ignorant, stupid, and mean as they are.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 27, 2013 9:36:27 PM

15. That statement made me facepalm so hard, my forehead has finger indentations

Posted by: Firestorm | Mar 27, 2013 9:48:55 PM

16. "Is he gay? I would doubt it since he's married to a woman and has about 5 or 6 kids. I know that some homophobes are really closeted gays, but it must be very hard to tell which. It seems that just about everyone from the other side politically on gay rights issues is accused of being closeted! I understand accusing Marcus Bachman, but not Brian, Tony Perkins, Bryan Fischer, etc..." Even though many like to say that people against equality are all closet-cases, I think that some are, but definitely not all. I think that making that assumption would be a mistake...and may anger the opposition even more.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 27, 2013 10:17:24 PM

17. Mary:
    Ann Heche's sister has written a book about her father who was married to her mother for many years and produced five children. He happened to be a closeted gay man.

Posted by: simon | Mar 27, 2013 10:52:49 PM

18. Absolutely pathetic...

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Mar 27, 2013 10:53:57 PM

19. Well, Brian Brown did give the "I had a nightmare" speech.

Posted by: homer | Mar 27, 2013 11:05:17 PM

20. Keith nailed it--60 years ago, these are the folks who would've chained themselves to church doors yelling "Intergration never, segregation now!" And they seriously think they're the moral, loving, "good guys!"

I don't even have the energy to hate these people; they're so stupid, they're like something that crawled out of a primordial ooze, like gollums or trolls.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 27, 2013 11:23:44 PM

21. It's never loving and respectful to tell someone that they are inferior to you.

Posted by: jdb | Mar 27, 2013 11:54:54 PM

22. It's like the civil rights movement, but without the civil rights.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 28, 2013 7:56:36 AM

23. Hear that? The death knell of bibotry
    Smell that? Whiff of desperation

These people should be aware that judgement on others will come back to haunt them when they will be asked What works on earth did you do to better mankind?

Posted by: DC Arnold | Mar 28, 2013 8:45:25 AM

24. Bigotry

Posted by: DC Arnold | Mar 28, 2013 8:45:51 AM

25. He's right, it's exactly like the Civil Rights movement. We've all seen the video and pictures of "god fearing Christians" marching, praying...and screaming, spitting and beating those fighting for their civil rights and dignity. They too thought god was on their side and didn't think they were bigots. They loved their nannies and house keepers as long as they didn't "git upiddy" and knew their place and which fountain to drink from. Not hate or bigotry, just god's word, common sence and decency.

Yes Brian, it's exactly like the Civil Rights movement and I'm sure that's exactly how they felt. And yes, your picture will be there in the history books, angry and foaming and bigoted for school children to look at and shake their heads at how ignorant they were back then.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Mar 28, 2013 10:05:07 AM