Michelle Shocked Backpedals on Anti-Gay Remarks in Statement, Says She Was ‘Misinterpreted': READ IT

PART TWO:

I believe in a God who loves everyone, and my faith tells me to do my best to also love everyone. Everyone: gay or straight, stridently gay, self-righteously faithful; left or right, far left, far right; good, bad, or indifferent. That's the law: everyone.

I may disagree with someone's most fervently held belief, but I will not hate them. And in this controversy, that means speaking for Christians with opinions I in no way share about homosexuality. Will I endorse them? Never. Will I disavow them? Never.

I stand accused of forsaking the LGBT community for a Christianity which is – hear me now – anathema to my understanding of faith. I will no doubt take future flack for saying so. I'm accused of believing that "God hates fags" and that the repeal of Prop 8 will usher in the End Times. Well, if I caused such an absurdity, I am damn sorry. To be clear: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of any so-called faith preaching intolerance of anyone. Again, anyone: straight or gay, believers or not: that's the law.

That means upholding my punk rock values in the most evangelical enclaves and, in this case, speaking up for the most fearful of fundamentalists in, well, a San Francisco music hall full of Michelle Shocked fans. As an artist in this time of unbearable culture wars, I understand: this means trouble, and this is neither the first nor last time trouble has come my way. And that's fine by me.

I know the fear many in the evangelical community feel about homosexual marriage, as I understand the fear many in the gay community feel toward the self-appointed faithful. I have and will continue speaking to both. Everything else – facebook, twitter, whatever – is commentary.

Please offer your translations below.

Comments

1. Alan E. says

“Again, anyone: straight or gay, believers or not: that’s the law.”

What does this line mean or refer to? I’m confused as to exactly WHAT is “the law.”

2. Jeff says

Am I the only one who read this and felt that it just rings empty of substance? It also lacks real clarity on the topics she addresses. She is caught between her religion and career, and it makes me squirm if I think about it too much. I guess I should stop thinking about her and it.

3. Hdtex says

Translation: My bank account and threadbare career would like to apologize for my bigoted, homophobic world view. Though I now state it was “ironic” there was no irony inferred at the time I spoke these words……

4. beef and fur says

What? Just another self loathing (possibly bipolar and schizophrenic)”ex gay” bigot who changes her mind when her beliefs and her wallet are on two different journeys.

5. Joe says

Ummm…. listen to the audio of her concert statements. It is crystal clear that she is homophobic. Crystal clear.
    Her “apology” is nothing more than the sound of desperation trying to recover from career suicide.

6. Jeff says

Too few news outlets are picking up her quote from a 1990 interview:

“I was with my first woman lover about a year and a half ago.”

Here’s the source:

Whatever comments she makes about the LGBT community after she was born again should be read with this as context

And did anyone actually tape this statement she made in SF? Can they post it? She can claim anything we read is “commentary” until we hear what she said – this latest letter from her doesn’t make it any clearer

7. Steve says

@Jeff
    Yeah, she is probably at least bisexual. But she grew up among fundy Mormons and then fell in with fundy Pentecostals. Both totally crazy religions that brainwashed her and instilled this self-loathing.

8. Alan E. says

From the transcript:

“I am so committed to loving each and every soul in this room tonight that I could not come here and ignore you”

Fundy alert!

9. Shelly says

Before she released this, I did read an article quoting someone at the show who indicated the “end times” quote was taken out of context, that she had prefaced it with something like “I was just down in LA with a bunch of people who think…” etc., and the “God hates fags” statement is so over-the-top I can easily imagine she had meant it as she explains here.

I’m a Buddhist, and it’s part of my own practice to try my best to have compassion for everyone, including political opponents or people who hate me, and I’ve more than once been in similar situations when I come across people demonizing opponents and I try and defuse it only to be attacked myself who are on the same side of issues I’m on, so I can easily imagine something like this happening on a much larger scale to someone in the public eye who’s trying to follow a similar practice. In my experience, she is correct — our opponents by and large are people who buy into the fear-mongering propaganda that lgbtq equality will bring about the end of civilization, the family, Christianity, the world, whatever. And when we throw back just as much fear and anger in response, they see it as the confirmation of all their fears about us.

In any case, I believe her.

10. Stopthehate says

Her handlers really have to tell her to stop. She is sounding crazier and solidifies the reports and her audio that she hates gays but wants our money. She should contact maggie gaallagher and NOM. That is her new audience. Oh and westboro baptist church. She is all yours

11. blank says

This hurts. “Come a Long Way” is a really good song. How do you separate the love you have for an artist at the time they wrote a song and what they have become?

12. aj says

Her views are common in the music industry. Why do you think an openly gay or bisexual American male has never hit no. 1 on
    the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts?

Women’s fear of male homosexuality also reflects their fear of men in general. Note how Michelle attacked only gay men and not gay women .

13. Marvin says

As a writing teacher who regularly deals with smart students with, initially, incredibly inept communication skills, I believe her. Too bad she’s now allowed that ineptitude to destroy her career.

14. excy says

Perhaps she could explain her first tweet after the “incident” at Yoshi’s in San Francisco. Michelle Shocked tweeted “Truth is leading to painful confrontation”.
    On second thought, forget it. She has already said far too much.

15. Alan E. says

aj – “Note how Michelle attacked only gay men and not gay women .”

That’s not uncommon for many anti-gay (or really many men in general, gay or straight) to forget about the plight of women. I don’t want to get more into this for fear of twisting off into a feminism vs. anti-feminism thread.

16. Opinionated says

Having listened to the clip now of the concert she isn’t only a homophobic(possibly internalized) bigot but she is a liar. She actively enganged that wonderful audience member who was calling her out on her vitriol. Why then didn’t she clarify her statements then instead of going on a rant that becomes all the more strange when she goes into Spanish? Clearly a confused individual at best and maybe just a complete and utter moron.

17. Charles Walker says

Like so many others, I don’t buy her bullsh*t. After listening to the audio, I can’t believe what she says now. If she was trying to be funny it didn’t work and she should stick to singing. The fact of the matter is, after all those venues cancelled on her she realized, Oh no, my career just went up in smoke! What makes me the most angry in the audio is the audience members that seemed to still want to stay and listen to her. One man towards the end says “Love you Michelle”. Disgusting.

18. Jay says

She’s been misinterpreted about as much as Tracy Morgan was misinterpreted when he said he would kill his child if he were gay. Probably GLAAD will reach out to her and rehabilitate her and her shattered career.

19. woodroad34 says

A lie wrapped in an apology is the devil sweet-talking. Either she needs to take her meds or do a closer inspection of her prayer group to make sure it’s not a Westboro Baptist Statanic Group.

20. Mike says

She sounds incredibly messed up and confused. If she truly wants to sit on the fence in a “culture war” against gays, racial minorities (immigrants) and womens rights, she is as clearly thought confused as her ramblings. You can’t have it both ways, pick a side. Take some time off, some meds, therapy etc. And in 2-3 years, drop some songs. This will either be your “redemption” tour OR your first alt/punk/christian ep and you can tour Liberty U and other like-minded brain-washing schools and appear on Rocking w/ The Robertsons on some fundy cable channel.

21. Paul R says

Who cares. Like anyone has mentioned the name Michelle Shocked in 20 years. She just won herself a world of attention for doing a hateful thing, and now she’s lying about it. It’s hardly news.

22. UFFDA says

What a sad mess. I’m sorry for her consummate skill in firing a big hole in foot. With enough of her kind of faith she’ll manage. Didn’t really hurt us a bit anyway.

23. antisaint says

If I were making a statement I believed to be in support of gays (at a show in GD San Francisco, no less) and people started leaving, I would be very confused, and immediately clarify, believing somehow I was being misunderstood. I think anyone who was honestly doing exactly that would. Who is she trying to kid?

24. Mike says

Having just listened to her hate-filled rant, I clearly believe she is not confused and this “apology” is a lie. She is trying to obviously save her career. Bub-bye and good riddance.

25. truthteller says

Audio doesn’t lie.

This woman has some serious issues and it is clear to me that her intent on that rant was indeed hateful and homophobic. Notice how she used the word homosexuals and not gays. Fundamentalist haters always sexualize the GLBT community because they know our puritanical religious-culture fears anything to do with sex. She also said it is her fear:
    “…and I really shouldn’t say ‘their,’ because it’s mine, too — we are nearly at the end of time…once Prop 8 gets, uh, instated, and once, um, preachers are held at gunpoint and forced to marry the homosexuals, I’m pretty sure that that will be the signal for Jesus to come on back…You said you wanted reality.”

The rant in Spanish was John 3:16, for God so loved the world…

26. LincolnLounger says

“Misinterpreted”. Love it. If only she had used that other chestnut, “taken out of context”.

My guess is that her next move is to hook up with the “conversion” gang and launch a new career in Christian music.

27. Kevin says

If she truly felt she was being misinterpreted, or was truly sorry that she had offended, why did she not say so right then, when it was made painfully obvious that she was offending the same people she now claims to “love”. Religion twists the mind just as the closet does. When the two combine it is a train wreck. I pity the poor lost woman.

28. Steven B says

“I don’t always express myself as clearly as I should.”
    Judging from the incoherence of pretty much everything she said, I’m inclined to believe that she really does have trouble expressing herself in words. One does not simply waltz into San Francisco, of all places, and start spouting “God Hates Fags.” I’m inclined to believe her apology and that she really did express herself poorly.

29. Shawn says

Has she left her church? No. She’s a fraud and a bigot. Ironic that her sexuality has always been off the table.

Another thing…the pure irony of a “protest” singer getting all annoyed when people protest her. Kind of love that (her Tweets are bonkers and make Chuck Grassley seem like a poet)

30. Bryan says

Ah. I see. She’s a crazy, stupid, and incompetent has-been, not a crazy, stupid, and hateful has-been.

I’m so relieved. As always, thanks for keeping me up to date on the truly crucial news.

31. Ensor UK says

I read about this here in Britain as it’s been travelling around Facebook and Twitter a lot over the past two days.
    I have to say how really saddened I am, and how many people are in the UK, by Michelle’s behaviour and opinions, both during the gig and afterwards on Twitter and in her statement.

Does she really believe that a God would hate people? Or is it only a God who backs up the world view of scared, narrow-minded people?
    Does she really think that it’s okay to condone views of people that, whether out of fear or not, want to hurt, oppress or limit the happiness of others that hurts nobody?

Seems that’s a God who doesn’t love humanity in all its diversity.

To me, her view on stage is not the truth that any God wants – it’s a prejudiced lie she has been brainwashed into believing is truth.

32. chris says

I kinda like the guy shouting “Love you, Michelle.” I interpret it as “Love you Michelle, but hate your stupid mouth/brain/face.” It reminds me of that patronizing “Love the sinner, hate the sin” crap.

33. sara says

Back in 2011 Michelle Shocked was attending what was supposed to be an LGBT inclusive Christian Music Festival. She was asked her opinion on gay people and here was her response:

” There were some jarring exceptions to the generally welcoming atmosphere of the festival…Folk singer Michelle Shocked, who has in recent years publicly rejected her lesbian fan base, became incensed when asked about her “position on homosexuality” by an audience member. “Who drafted me as a gay icon? You are looking at the world’s greatest homophobe. Ask God what He thinks,” she said, before shutting off her microphone to complain, “There is always someone who wants to catch me.” Shocked was not challenged by organizers or staff.”

Two years ago she was already saying things like this.

34. Just_a_guy says

I just listened to the whole tape, and here’s my reaction:

Michelle Shock is stark, raving nutso. Worse, she’s a monster bent on dehumanizing gay people. She tries to sanctify herself with a somehow still-ok-sounding voice, but she comes off as a mere crybaby, attention-getter brat. Michelle Shock is an irresponsible performer with a public platform. She proceeded to sing a paean to hate to a revolted room. (Never mind that those who remained and clapped for her revolt me.) God bless Yoshi’s for shutting this hate-box down.

I’ll remember Michelle Shock for the rest of my life. And throw up in my mouth a little bit. And stay the heck away.

Michelle’s apology is a no-apology. She also is straight up lying about a love of liberty and love for gay people. Well, maybe she loves taking the liberty of squelching the very morality of each gay person. And loves each of gay folk the way she loves fireflies that she smashes on her skin, smearing our insides around with her judgment, enjoying the disrespect she shows us.

I wish she could see a more humane light, but she’s shown no basis for being trusted to do so.

35. commun5 says

She has not been misunderstood. As a self-proclaimed Christian fundamentalist, she believes that homosexual behavior is a sin in the eyes of God that needs to be repented for. Even if she does not think that it deserves her own or other peoples’ judgment or hatred, she still thinks that it is a divine offense. Rather than calling Michelle Shocked a hater, it’s enough to say that LGBTQ people and their supporters don’t want to listen to songs sung by someone who views their behavior as sinful. They don’t subscribe to her fundamentalist reading and valuation of her Bible as a guide to social orientation.

36. Just_a_guy says

@commun5,

You let her off way too easy, dont you think? Michelle Shock is not an eleven year old girl suffering from fresh indoctrination from a hate-filled church. No, she is an adult who has every reason to have a human conscience, but who gets more attention spitting on lgbtq dignity. She is an adult Birthing hate into the world. Simply, Michelle shock can be expected to know and behave better.

By the way, I feel sorry for Michelle’s future gay son already, poor kid.

37. Houndentenor says

These aren’t her first anti-gay comments. She even referred to herself as a homophobe a few years ago. She’s backpedaling to save what’s left of her career. I didn’t even know she still had one. I haven’t heard her name in at least 15 years and didn’t know her music even back then.

38. pardon me, but . . . . says

Hey can someone please break it to this crazy woman that her career is over. But she should be sure to reach out and backpedal to save her ass. Like that fixes everything. No one will ever take her comments as a bigoted rant if she says I didn’t mean it.

39. FunMe says

You are a whore! Oh sorryI just meant that you go around having sex withy any guy. SORRY, I was “misinterpreted”.

You are a lazy Mexican! Oh sorry, I just meant that latinos don’t like to work … right away. SORRY, I was “misinterpreted”.

You are woman, the weaker sex and lazy I might add.
    Oh sorry, I just meant that you go around having sex withy any guy. SORRY, I was “misinterpreted”.

40. millerbeach says

Oh, well, oh, well! What do we have here? A lying bigot. Got hates liars, God hates bigots. Therefore, God must hate Michelle. You brought it on yourself, sweetie. Try not to be so mean, and people just MAY pay you to sing. Nah, you’re done. Stick a fork in her. She is done and over. Goodbye, hater. Let this be a lesson to the rest of the haters out there…we don’t take that crap. Go ahead and speak your mind if you must, but understand YOU WILL PAY.

41. andrew says

I am so sick of people like her thinking that they have a right to limit the rights and freedoms of people like me that I could puke on people like her.

42. andrew says

I would pi$$ on her if she was on fire but thats because I am a gay man and we are a bit more sensitive than others. In fact I would pi$$ on her even if she wasn’t on fire, thats just how I roll.

43. a3453453452 says

Listen to yourselves… The vast majority are so ready to jump on her for what she said. Intolerance, at the very least. This is a woman who, from her history, has been in support of your views, shares them. She says something, uh, a little on-the-spot, possibly not very well, uh, previously-thought-out… she’s opening her heart to you, and instead of giving someone on your side the benefit of the doubt, you’re ready to jump on every word said.

Mental illness, many of you call it… yet this is a woman, a grown woman, who is likely much older than most of you. She probably has a shitton more life-experience, probably surrounded herself by various viewpoints most of her life. This is not mental-illness… insanity is believing so firmly in your own view of the world, that you’re unwilling and unable to hear *anything* but what you want to hear… And I’ll say this, from the vast majority of the responses, what you want to hear is either “YAY GAY!” or “BOO GAY!” You heard “BOO GAY” and latched onto it, completely disregarding not only the context of the message, not only the blatantly-obvious moments when her mind was racing trying to not only comprehend what she’s trying to say and what’s being heard… and I will interject here, that she’s probably trying to say something *with way more depth* than just “YAY GAY” or “BOO GAY”… She’s juggling a LOT, ON THE SPOT, TRYING to make a point, that admittedly probably wasn’t really well planned-out, and may have been forming *at the time*. But rather than accepting what one of your kin is trying to say, rather than giving her a chance to explain, you’re all caught up in “well, this is what *I’d* do in this situation… and she didn’t do it, so obviously she’s lying.” You’re not only children, you’re defiant children who think they understand everything about everyone, when you don’t even understand that there’s more to the world than Black or White, “Yay Gay” or “Boo Gay”, there’s more to the world than even the grays inbetween, there’s a whole spectrum of colors… it is indeed your symbol, the rainbow! And beyond just colors, there’re shades, and beyond shades there are opacities, and beyond colors and shades and opacities there is the ability to at least give the benefit of the doubt to someone who’s been your supporter, likely a leader. To at least *listen carefully* without *assuming* she’s either “yay gay” or “boo gay” and instead assume that she’s a grown woman with many perspectives, not multiple personalities, not schitzo, but a person who perceives the world as more than just black or white.

Insanity, true mental illness, is believing so strongly in a single perspective that you can’t see the world any other way. Your willingness to perceive this as a black-and-white issue proves that’s exactly how you perceive the world. You want to gang up on the haters, and rightly-so, but you do it with such fervency that you’re willing to lynch your own leaders.

She’s right, you know… that *is* the truth. When people hold guns at priests heads to marry gays, we’ll know that the truest intolerance is no longer that of the preachers and their followers, but that of the gun-holders. This is not a statement about gays, nor about gays marrying, it’s a statement about people holding so strongly to their perception of the world that they’ll take up arms to enforce it.

I have news for you, and this is probably somewhat along the lines of the “painful truth” that she discussed, the world is less out to get you than you think. And, worse than that, you’re more out to get this ficticious enemy than they are out to get you.

But this is the crux(?) of the matter… is there *really* *anyone* who believes what they’ve stated in these comments? Or is this all just a friggin’ game? I could believe that level of black-and-white thinking of children, but of grown people supporting a cause? Are you all so caught-up in your childhood beliefs about how people perceived you as children, your childhood perceptions of others’ perceptions, that you’re unable and unwilling to consider that maybe those perceptions were just that, childish? To look at the world with a more mature-perspective that maybe good and evil truly don’t exist, that there are no lynchings of gays by reasonable people, just as there are no guns pointed at preachers?

They’re right to be fearful, if “they” even exist. Very VERY few Americans would side strongly with those who would lynch someone just because they’re gay. On the other hand, as shown in these comments, those same people would join together instantaneously to lynch an alleged lyncher. The end of peace won’t be the rise-up of the KKK, but the rise-up of do-gooders, well-meaning, caring people, who mistakenly perceive the KKK to be a much greater threat than it really is. Like the treatment of the “Communist Threat…” wire-taps on anyone who *might* support anything “non-good.” Yet, everyone who’s not a child or in some way insane realizes there is good in everything, just as there is bad in everything… to what extents? Those are determined only by how its effects. And if *IF* this is a sign of the general consensus of the values and maturity-level of gays, then this is a sure sign that even well-meaning people-loving gays are ultimately leading to evil effects on the world. Not because they’re gay, but because they’re so ready to perceive a black-and-white world like the one many of them escaped, or think they’ve escaped (because it didn’t really exist that way in the first place). Because their black-and-white perception of the world may ultimately lead to a world where white is no longer white, and black is the new white… even though the vast majority would say they’re neither black nor white.

But, I get it, this is all a joke… created to rile up people like me… because I get it, I perceive this world as black-and-white, too… I perceive that people actually perceive the world the way they claim in a stupid online forum, when they’re probably really nothing more than hired-hands from these forums to create something to get riled-up about, or maybe they’re nothing more than really intelligent people pretending to take sides. I perceive that actual people actually write these sorts of comments, and really actually mean them. When, really, the truth must be that there’s no one who sees the world that way, and I must be the one perceiving it with the fewest shades of gray, otherwise I wouldn’t be all riled up in the first place. Yep, clearly I have a persecution complex.

But if you actually believe the things you’ve written, believe that things are so black-vs-white, believe that a leader in your community would suddenly and fervently turn on the community she helped form, believe that an apology and attempted explanation are nothing more than a career move, then you’ve a persecution-complex that’s even sicker. And if you’re willing to publicly ostracize that person without even a days’ thought, then your persecution complex is borderline criminal. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

44. Jeff says

@a3453453452 “She’s juggling a LOT, ON THE SPOT, TRYING to make a point, that admittedly probably wasn’t really well planned-out, and may have been forming *at the time*. But rather than accepting what one of your kin is trying to say, rather than giving her a chance to explain”

She CLEARLY MADE her point, and she had her chance to explain. Did you not read anything, or not comprehend it?

Some have sated that it is sad to see an artist’s career FLAME OUT in such a public way. And to have a personal meltdown documented in such a way. But she asked that it be twittered before she went into her self-destructive rant.

But she still has her so-called Christian family & friends, and so she can find love and happiness there with them, and stay the F away from us.

This needed to happen. as a warning to others who might feel the need to rant hatred in a public venue. See, there is a positive side to this event.

45. Dan Cobb says

I have no idea who this woman is, but she is clearly an unstable, mentally off-balance person. Which makes her prone to the ideations she has. It must make life difficult for her, and in that I kind of feel sorry for her? Bi-polar disease? Schizophrenia? Whatever.
    Anyhow, I think given her mental issues, that she is better suited to have an audience of born-again, extremist religionists who share the same mental incapacity and instability. Every born-again Christian I have ever known has been an unstable person with a history of drug use, alcohol use or sex addiction.

46. says

What a self serving piece of unintelligible $hit.
    Too many words to be sincere. She was caught, she will pay !
    Clearly she is unhinged and I hope her beloved “End of Days” has arrived —and not a moment too soon.

47. says

If you listen to the complete Audio you’ll realize she wrote this empty apology before she knew the audio was available.
    She out right LIES in here fake apology stating she didn’t say what she did say.
    It is very clear. I listened to the entire thing and I would have been one of those audience members demanding she be removed from the stage had I been there.

Thanks for this article and your reporting. What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn with over 18,700+ global members to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=63687

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 18,700+ of your soon to be great connections on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries.

Come join us.

48. Thomas says

Wow. Just….wow. I love living in the digital age, where the classic excuse of “but I was misinterpreted!” gets trotted out only to abruptly get stomped down by the actual recording of what was said.

49. pardon me, but . . . . says

It’s 2013. I can’t imagine any defense to the crap she said. She seemed to be fully aware of herself and what she said. Even putting it in context. She can express any belief or opinion she has, and its better that the world now knows her true opinion. But she shouldn’t expect to be rewarded it. I don’t think anyone misunderstood. She meant it. It doesn’t matter if I don’t know who she is. If she keeps this up I won’t be the only one.

50. Shelly says

a3453453452, in my experience people with nuanced views on any issue typically get shouted down in online forums by those with fixed, binary, us v them views so tend to steer clear. You can play MadLibs with virtually any comments section on any contentious issue on any partisan board on the internet — substitute a few key buzzwords and topic-specific insults and they become interchangeable.

Awesome article that perfectly sums up the dominant dynamic at work in these types of brawls:

51. Michael says

Your site needs a Hall of Shame sidebar to house all these clueless assholes. I didn’t read, listen, or really want to know her opinions about how we should conduct our gay lives as this seems to be how they get their opinions heard. They make anti-gay statements and the Gay press prints them all and gets their word out for them. True, we need to know who is against us but we also need to temper that with giving them the platform that they are seeking to destroy what strides we have made in recent years.

52. Swiminbuff says

She had plenty of time to “clarify” her statement after the initial reaction (fans walked out). Instead she waited to take any action until her concert dates started being cancelled. It seems clear that she was not upset about the reaction to her statement but she uspet about the cancelling of her concert dates and the impact that will have on her career and her pocketbook. Never heard of her before don’t expect to hear of her again.

53. Redwoodguy says

Just goes to prove how good a Republican she is! She’s got the LYING part down perfectly, the “I was misinterpreted” part is equally convincing and all she has to do now is put her hair in a bun, get pregnant, go barefoot and SHUT UP until her Man tells her she can say sumptin. And did you hear??? She’s got a signed poster of Betty Furness actually opening an oven door!!

54. Lori says

She specifically stated in the original comments that those were her views, and not just the views of other people she was speaking for.
    So, nice try, but not remotely credible.