Gay Marriage | News | Thomas Roberts

BigGayDeal.com

Thomas Roberts Gets Personal on Marriage Equality: VIDEO

T_roberts

MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts took off his professional hat for a moment yesterday to talk about his marriage last September to his husband Patrick.

Said Roberts:

"I don't think that we would have gone for a civil union. Getting married in the fall was something very personal, and very incredible! ... It's only made our lives better...The otherness, it's time for that to go away....If the Supreme Court gets rid of DOMA and goes ahead and strikes Prop 8 out of the way, is that going to get rid of homophobia in this country? No. But it does make the government stand up to appreciate the fact that the LGBT community exists in this country. We're good taxpaying Americans..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Obviously I'm all for marriage equality, but what happened to the days when reporters kept their opinions to themselves (left or right)? Reporters used to be journalists... now they are celebrities.

Posted by: TortugaToo | Mar 28, 2013 3:32:47 PM

2. Journalists have never kept their opinions to themselves. Not in any century.

Posted by: LiamB | Mar 28, 2013 3:38:56 PM

3. Oh yes they have. Peter Jennings, for instance, never gave a personal opinion in the media, nor did a lot of other old-time journalists.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 28, 2013 3:50:32 PM

4. @TortugaToo: Not all journalists, just the most visible. Basically, just over time. Walt Cronkite (if you are old enough to know who that was) was a reporter and in part a celebrity. Because he had been reporting the news for so long (WWII) the populace knew much about his personal life. I would equate 'Celebrity' with familiarity and popularity (good or bad). How much we know about somebody away for their professional role.

I agree with Thomas, since when I was a teen, I never hoped I was going to be 'Civil Unioned' so another man.

Posted by: SFRowGuy | Mar 28, 2013 3:51:32 PM

5. The rigid standards of the past don't necessarily apply, this is a new century with new dynamics. I applaud Mr. Roberts and congratulate him and his husband.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Mar 28, 2013 4:04:08 PM

6. I saw this and thought it was inappropriate to ask a reporter for his opinion, based on his own personal, private life.

If this had been a court case about abortion, would a female reporter have been asked for her personal opinion, "Would this prevent you from getting an abortion?" Or for an African-American reporter covering a discrimination case, "Have you ever felt that you have been discriminated against?"

Getting a reporter's opinion is okay, if based on professional experience. Asking Anderson Cooper about his reactions to Haiti is appropriate; asking him how it feels to have your brother kill himself is not.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Mar 28, 2013 4:09:01 PM

7. I always like Roberts over Anderson. God, I'd let him give it to me so hard. That said, if you're a reporter keep your personal life out of it.

Posted by: JT | Mar 28, 2013 4:10:31 PM

8. I saw this segment yesterday and the only question I had for him at the time is what the hell is he wearing a jacket underneath a suit coat for? I believe that outerwear is worn over a suit coat or sport coat, not under it.

Posted by: anonymous | Mar 28, 2013 4:27:42 PM

9. @ anonymous: Jackets can be worn over coats. Coats can be worn over jackets. I hold neither a coatist nor a jacketist belief. : )

Posted by: gr8guyca | Mar 28, 2013 4:36:16 PM

10. I am actually getting sick of Thomas Roberts and his perfect little life and face and marriage.

Posted by: Bollux | Mar 28, 2013 4:39:54 PM

11. This Baltimore drip would be obnoxious in any sexuality. He's such a dough faced narcissist. He reminds me 70's Republican turned queer.

Posted by: Jake | Mar 28, 2013 5:09:48 PM

12. Thomas Roberts is a good spokesperson for the gay cause. He is handsome and articulate, and appears masculine.

We need guys like this (front and center) in the media. it helps change the image gay men have had placed on them in the past.

A young guy who feels masculine, and not into any typical gay interests or scene, but feels gay regardless might see this reporter and think about life outside of the closet, and marriage to another man as doable.

Thomas Roberts is just another role model in another role. A good thing imo.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 28, 2013 5:33:23 PM

13. "I saw this and thought it was inappropriate to ask a reporter for his opinion, based on his own personal, private life."

IOW, Thomas should go back into the closet.
    Well that game's over, TROLL!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 28, 2013 5:34:57 PM

14. Jeff: So you're saying he's a good "fake" masculine gay guy. I know other gay newscasters who turn on the straight on camera. It's how they make that money to "pay their taxes" and be good citizens as Robert's notes. You can't flinch on the gay stories.

Posted by: Edward | Mar 28, 2013 5:53:19 PM

15. @Edward.... Isn't it possible that he isn't "faking" or "acting" and he just happens to have masculine mannerisms and speech patterns?

Posted by: anonymous | Mar 28, 2013 6:09:10 PM

16. But Anonymous - the original poster Edward was referring to stated: Thomas Roberts is a good spokesperson for the gay cause. He is handsome and articulate, and appears masculine."

Not sure if Edward was referring to this or not but what does handsome and masculine appearing have to do with anything?

While I agree with the original poster's sentiment that Roberts may appeal to one segment of gay men who are still struggling with their sexuality and sexual identity... I'm a little concerned about holding looksism up as a measuring stick. I think Roberts is articulate on LGBT issues. The fact that he has a forum from which he can make use of his ability to articulate in order to better move our collective cause forward is awesome. The fact that he is handsome...good for him. The idea that he appears masculine? What does that mean?

I'm 6'3" and over 200#...I have been asked repeatedly all my life "Are you a basketball player?"; "Do you play football?", etc... What I do is put on dresses to show how REDICULOUS it is to be pigeon-holed into some other persons stereotype of you (and because I like how pantyhose feel, frankly...and think I have amazing legs in heels!).

So, I think the point to be made is Roberts is a good role model for gay youth...because he can articulate his positions (regardless of what you think about the role of journalism in today's society). Not because of his superficial and superflous mannerisms and attributes.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 28, 2013 6:30:10 PM

17. Why do I keep hearing people say Clinton "asked for the court" to strike down DOMA? From all I've read, he did no such thing. He simply wrote an opinion piece for the news.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 28, 2013 6:32:40 PM

18. Edward, we don't know for sure it is "fake" or acting. That is why I said he "appears" masculine.

It really matters none that you know "other" newscasters who turn on the butch act when the cameras begin to roll.

This guy is a role model by nature of his work, and that he came out PUBLICLY at some point. He is basically saying "hell yeah, I love hot raunchy sex with another man's d**k in my bed" and I love it so much I married one.

All this looking nor acting nothing like Richard Simmons, Ellen, or Divine.

This man is a newer generation role model, and it is quite powerful regardless if he is a screaming queen in private. This type of role model could pave the way for a gay President of the US some day.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 28, 2013 6:34:57 PM

19. @Jay.... The problem I have is with the constant assumption that any gay man with masculine mannerisms must be "acting". YOu have said the same in your post with this statement:

"Roberts may appeal to one segment of gay men who are still struggling with their sexuality and sexual identity."

Why do you assume that any gay man that isn't feminine is somehow struggling with his sexuality. It is possible that some gay men just naturally possess masculine traits. They aren't "acting" and aren't ashamed of being gay. They just aren't stereotypically "fabulous". And, there's nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: anonymous | Mar 28, 2013 6:40:57 PM

20. Jeff: Yes it does matter. I can't name names. They have to be careful or they'll wind up like Sam Champion.. Roberts married because he's a sap-- and stated he couldn't have a "civil union" so it was all for his "show" Many have come out before him, he's no trailblazer. Now coming out won't mean much will it? Who will care?

Posted by: Edward | Mar 28, 2013 6:46:22 PM

21. Edward: "Now coming out won't mean much will it? Who will care?"

You use the word "now" and then speak about the future. I think what you are saying is that now, has not really arrived yet. So, see, we actually do agree on that. Coming out won't matter sooner or later, but right NOW IT DAMN SURE DOES!

My point is that yes, it will matter, especially if one offers up themselves as a role model of some sort, and a different one than previous conceptions, or perceptions of such a role model. Pretty square rainbow bumper stickers only go so far in explaining diversity.

I will give Roberts the benefit of the doubt that he is genuine in some way that he presents himself.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 28, 2013 9:02:27 PM

22. What about bad role models coming out? Has that happened yet?

Posted by: Edward | Mar 28, 2013 9:34:55 PM