Arizona | Gay Marriage | Matt Salmon | Mormon

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Equality Congressman Matt Salmon's Gay Son Defends Him: VIDEO

Matt_salmon

Matt R. Salmon, the gay son of Congressman Matt J. Salmon (R-AZ), who said over the weekend that he did not support marriage equality, tells the Washington Blade that he understands his father's position, and, says it's nothing he did not already know.

Young_salmonSaid the younger Salmon to the Blade's Michael Lavers:

“People seem to be trying so hard to analyze where it’s coming from, but really he was quite straight-forward. My father loves me very much and he supports me and he respects me. He’s very much there for me as one of my closest friends. I think that was obvious in everything that he had to say...He doesn’t see it as not allowing his son to be with the person he loves because he knows that regardless of where marriage is, I’m going to be with the person that I love...Whether I can legally marry in Arizona or not, it’s not going to change that fact and my father knows that and he accepts my desire to be with the man that I love. As far as it goes with marriage for him it’s a matter of what marriage means to him — to him marriage is defined as between a man and a woman. It has nothing to do with the way he views a person’s relationship, and that’s the thing that I think is hard for people to understand."

More at the Blade.

The Arizona Congressman had told 3TV:

I don't support the gay marriage...My son is by far one of the most important people in my life. I love him more than I can say. I’m just not there as far as believing in my heart that we should change 2,000 years of social policy in favor of a redefinition of the family. I'm not there."

The younger Salmon talked about being gay and Mormon in an emotional  'It Gets Better' video in 2011. His mother was part of the organization working to ban gay marriage in Arizona in 2006.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It's a shame how this man holds his son hostage to his own beliefs, and it's a shame how the son has to rationalize what he father is doing by not accepting him fully. Conditional love, isn't it great?

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 4, 2013 8:08:29 AM

2. Let me clarify my post above - when I refer to not accepting him fully, I mean the father not accepting the son.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 4, 2013 8:09:58 AM

3. Sorry chap, but it sounds like you have horrible parents. A reasonable parent would do anything to make life a little easier, fair and just for their offspring. Looks as if mom is too busy wrapped up in religious dogma and dad is pandering to bigots.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 4, 2013 8:13:43 AM

4. The voices of his AZ constituents are louder in his head than the love for his son. Pure and simple. These are people who have forgotten their moral core, their compass, their guiding principles. Or never had much strength in them to begin with. Best of luck swimming upstream, Salmons.

Posted by: shane | Apr 4, 2013 8:14:37 AM

5. Well, it's his father, so i understand that he is ready to accept his second class love

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 4, 2013 8:18:36 AM

6. I don't doubt that Matt Salmon loves his son. But this isn't about Matt Salmon or his son. This is about a man making law in a country where when we place our hand over our heart and Pledge Allegiance to our flag whether we actually mean "liberty and justice for ALL."

The concept about love doesn't enter into the conversation when there are legal definitions to the TJ marriage in this country. Get rid of all the legal benefits of marriage or actually accept that we are all supposed to have equal rights in this country and give them to all. It is that simple.

Posted by: Bart | Apr 4, 2013 8:18:42 AM

7. Matt R: Your father "accepts your desire to be with the man you love". Really? Isn't it as long as you don't get uppity and think that you are the equal of heterosexuals? Don't accept second class status Matt. Demand equality.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 4, 2013 8:19:10 AM

8. @ jjpse712 you nailed it

Posted by: shane | Apr 4, 2013 8:19:33 AM

9. So I suppose we never should have ended slavery since that too was a tradition for thousands of years? Actually, it's possible that slavery has been around since the dawn of mankind. But yet we did away with that.

It was also common to think that the world was flat or that the sun orbits around us, but we abandoned that mindset too.

The gay republicans are useless trash. The vast majority of minds that have been changed have not been changed because of them. Sorry. Not sorry. It's just the truth.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 4, 2013 8:22:33 AM

10. Let's take the spotlight off of their family, where it certainly doesn't belong, and focus on the Mr. Salmon's public policy. Honestly, I'm ashamed at that we've made a story out them. I'm also saddened that he used his son as an example in his political career. And good for Salmon the Younger (too much GOT?) for sticking up for his dad, even when he doesn't agree.

Posted by: CAM | Apr 4, 2013 8:25:12 AM

11. WHERE THE F*** do these politicians get the idea that what "their idea" of "what marriage means to them" has ANYTHING to do with the civil rights of citizens?

Matt, what marriage means to your father is irrelevant. You do have the same civil rights as other tax-paying adult citizens. Period.

Posted by: Strepsi | Apr 4, 2013 8:26:53 AM

12. Even after all these years, the poor kid is trying in vain to win daddy's love and acceptance.

SPOILER ALERT: Daddy loves his political party more than him.

Posted by: Firestorm | Apr 4, 2013 8:29:08 AM

13. Silly guy, your father doesnt love you unconditionally and he doesnt seem to care about your true happiness. HIS IDIOLOGIES and bigotry get on the way on loving his son. sad because youobviously love him but it isnt mutual. sad sad sad for the politician.

Posted by: Bosie | Apr 4, 2013 8:34:42 AM

14. Cognitive dissonance anyone?

Posted by: Mastik8 | Apr 4, 2013 8:36:08 AM

15. I find this situation very hard breaking for the son. I mean how do you reconcile this? I pray that this family finds peace. It must be hard to find a family issue like this thrust into the spotlight. Not only do you have to deal with how your family makes you feel but also with what the public thinks you should feel and how you should be reacting to it. I think this guy must be feeling a lot of pressure.

Posted by: Mercedes | Apr 4, 2013 8:37:34 AM

16. Dad is a Mormon. He will tout the church's party line about "gay marriage" until they are brought to court, just like with allowing black people into the church. I think they got past that biblical hurdle sometime in the late 1970's or early 80's. Non separation of church and state.

Posted by: kodiak | Apr 4, 2013 8:42:34 AM

17. Matt, you are probably paying too high a price for your parents' "love." Or that was my conclusion with my family. I found this quote that captures my experience:
    "Unless one says goodbye to what one loves, and unless one travels to completely new territories, one can expect merely a long wearing away of oneself."
    - Jean Dubuffet

Posted by: Markt | Apr 4, 2013 8:42:39 AM

18. His Father is putting job security first, son's life second; sounds about right for a Republican. His mother doesn't sound like much of a picnic either. Hope his in-laws in whatever state he moves to are nicer than his own parents.

Posted by: NwYrkr | Apr 4, 2013 8:42:47 AM

19. It's so sad when a gay child - in this case Matt Salmon - has to make excuses for one or both parents not believing in full civil rights for the child. This man is Mormon, a GOPer politician and from hugely conservative Arizona so it's no wonder the father's views on the GLBT community are so skewed toward homophobia. He had to be carefully taught to hate us. Apparently, he was an outstanding student and learned the hate lesson well. Good luck, Matt, living with your "loving" parents. I only wish you the best.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Apr 4, 2013 8:50:31 AM

20. No one loves their parent like an abused child.

Posted by: eteer77 | Apr 4, 2013 8:52:17 AM

21. Rep Salmon hates his own child.

He is an appaling parent and a disgrace to the human race.

I feel very sorry for his son - it must be difficult to accept that your parent hates you.

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 4, 2013 9:01:19 AM

22. Self-loathing at the source.

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 4, 2013 9:11:52 AM

23. I feel bad about the son, and think that daddy may have done one of those "if you love me you'll do this" manipulations, so he could claim that there are gay people who agree with his bigoted views. It's one of those "some of my best friends are..." kinds of things.

The son could have just been quiet on the matter, but instead chose to defend his father.

Either he's very insecure about his father's love and therefore easily manipulated, or under his thumb for something like college tuition or other financial support and therefore easily manipulated. Maybe it was a situation where daddy said "do this or I'll cut you off". Whatever.

Not defending the son's choice here. Just musing as to why any self-respecting gay person could defend this. But it appears that he's NOT a self-respecting gay person. Sad.

Posted by: kdknyc | Apr 4, 2013 9:14:18 AM

24. It's sad to see this young man enabling his father's bigotry. And it's downright tragic he doesn't even realize how damaged he is.

Posted by: Hank | Apr 4, 2013 9:28:38 AM

25. The religious mind, particularly a Mormon mind, is completely closed. I'm not surprised that the kid isn't bothering with trying to change his father. Some people just aren't movable.

Posted by: David | Apr 4, 2013 9:29:06 AM