Gay Man Beaten Unconscious In Nice, France

Leclerc

Another anti-gay attack in France left a young man bleeding and unconscious in the south of France, the Local reports:

A gay couple were attacked as they left a night club in the Mediterranean city of Nice at the weekend in the latest apparent homophobic attack in France. Raphaël Leclerc was punched and kicked after being jumped by three men when they left a club at around 5am on Saturday.

The incident comes just two weeks after Wilfred de Bruijn was savagely beaten in the 19th arrondissement of Paris, earlier this month after he and his boyfriend were attacked in the street. Last week, amid increased tensions over France’s divisive gay marriage bill that is set to be passed into law on Tuesday, there were attacks on gay bars in the northern city of Lille and Bordeaux in the south west.

Gay rights groups have told The Local they have recorded a 30 percent rise in homophobic incidents in recent months, which they blame on the continued opposition to the gay marriage bill.

Comments

1. ratbastard says

“The victim was then asked by his aggressors if he was French or Chechen. He replied French before being set upon.”

—What the…members of the Tsarnaev clan?

2. thepolarbeast says

I used to fantasize about going to France, maybe even living there. Not any more…this has completely soured me on France.

The words “Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity” on the front of the Assembly National building are meaningless in light of these attacks. Since I see no arrests are pending.

3. Francis #1 says

Completely out of control. What an embarrassment for the country. My heart goes out to Raphaël and all gays in France right now because they’re being hounded and attacked everywhere. Blame the conservative Catholics and NOM. This is exactly what they wanted. They couldn’t beat marriage equality legislatively so they’re going to beat gay people up to protest the law instead.

4. Rick says

You know, just once in my life–JUST ONE TIME–I would like to read a story like this that, instead of telling us that a couple of straight guys beat a couple of gay guys unconscious….or a single straight guy beat a single gay guy unconscious…..or a single straight guy beat up a gay couple or several straight guys single-handedly……or a single straight guy walked into a gay bar and abused several of the 40 or so patrons in the bar and walked away unscathed…….

JUST ONE TIME, instead of that–I would like to read something along the lines of this:

“The gay guys who were attacked had enough self-respect to foil the attack by behaving the way other men would in such situations and fighting back, beating up their attackers to the point of near-unconsciousness. It’s a pretty sure bet that those attacking them learned their lesson and will never mess with them again….and will also never assume that gay men are all a bunch of pu$$ies and cowards who can be pummeled at will because they believe that their homosexuality equates to a lack of masculinity”

JUST ONE TIME in my entire life, I would like to read that.

5. David Hearne says

Rick, While I agree to a point, most of these attacks take place outside gay bars and against gay people who have been drinking. While drinking doesn’t necessarily limit your willingness or ability to fight, it often delays your understanding of the situation until it’s too late.

Outside of bars, there is often some playing around or even trash talk. It can be dangerous to not know when that is turning serious, and having personally mistaken the beginnings of an attack as playing around or trash talk I can assure you that once you are on the ground and being beaten, you have missed the opportunity to deliver the deflective blow.

As we know, George Zimmerman mistook an attacker for a mouthy teenager, and Zimmerman was on the ground being beaten by Trayvon Martin necessitating pulling out his gun and shooting Martin. It would have been much better if he had not missed the signs of aggression, and had fended Martin off with a threat of lethal defense.

IN short, guys and girls you really need to start carrying guns and being prepared to use them. You really never know when trash talk is going to turn bloody.

6. Rick says

@David Hearne I beg to differ, David. Drunk or not, outside of bars or in a playground, most gay men are going to cower before straight men….EVEN IF they are perfectly capable of defending themselves and even beating the crap out of their tormentor(s).

Let’s call a spade a spade. Until the culture of effeminacy is eradicated and gay men decide to be men instead of idolizing and trying to act like women, instead….which is driven by an internalization of the idea that homosexuality equates to inferior (or non-existent) masculinity, then straight men will never respect us…..and there is no reason why they should.

Carrying guns is not the answer, for obvious reasons.

Straight men get into conflicts with each other, all the time, after all, and don’t need to resort to potentially fatal use of firearms to resolve it.

Most times, these kinds of attacks would not even take place, if, when threatened, the guy or guys who are the subject of the harrassment would simply indicate that they intend to fight back.

At least three times in my own life, I have been so threatened, once after leaving a gay bar, once when walking hand-in-hand with another guy in the French Quarter in New Orleans, and once in Central Park late one night.

In every single instance, when it became clear that I was not going to take any crap and was going to fight back, the potential attacker retreated. Granted, I am a fairly big guy, but that is besides the point. What was important was that I stood my ground…..and 90% of the time, that is all the attacker is trying to find out–whether you are man enough to stand your ground or whether you are a coward.

And if he attacks, it is as much because you showed yourself to be a coward and he was enraged by that as it was because he thought you were gay.

It really is not that complicated. Be men and you will be respect; be pu$$ies and cowards and you never will be.

7. Ben says

Are lesbians good enough for your anecdote, Rick? I seem to recall a rather viral news article a few years ago about a lesbian woman giving someone what-for just as you describe. 😉

Anyway, while it’s nice to know you have outblustered people before I am not sure you’ve been ont he wrong end of actual street violence from your descriptions there. King hits and 3v1s are not ‘man up’ scenarios, and are the most common incidents.

Not that I entirely disagree with your assertions, mind.

8. Chriso says

I don’t agree with some of the assertions Rick made, but I do agree with the concept that gay men are targets because straight men find us to be weak and because of this, they prey on us.

We can’t expect society to protect us from violence. We need to do it ourselves, and the day straights realize we’ll punch them back and fight as hard, will be the day we won’t have to put up with this.

It’s also important to remember never to leave a Gay bar alone, no matter how safe you think the city you live in is.

9. DONOVAN says

Wow, the comments on this post are comments are a bit ridiculous. Clear trolls and/or rage-queens posting.

First of all, stuff comparing this attack to Nazi Germany, or saying suddenly after this attack you no longer want to go to France are juuust a little ridic.

Homosexuality is largely tolerated in France; moreso than in the US without question. However, homophobia is every country, and unfortunately, I’m not surprised that these incidents are more common recently given it’s a big issue this year. They do not reflect the attitude of the vast majority of French people and the vast majority of French people would condemn them.

Second, most of these kinds of attacks happen BECAUSE the attackers realise they in some way have an advantage. They outnumber the victim, they take the victim by surprise, the victim (or both parties) are drunk outside a bar, etc. I’m sure the events in which the attacker gets their ass kicked and backs off happen, they just don’t get attention. Because what happens is you kick the guys ass and don’t feel the need to get police involved after it’s over and that’s the end of it.

10. Rick says

“Are lesbians good enough for your anecdote, Rick?”

No, absolutely not….and for obvious reasons. The fact that even lesbians sometimes fight back, despite being, as women, typically physically weaker than their attackers…..just calls into even bolder relief the cowardice of gay men.

And “3v1″s are not the most common scenarios. The most common in everyday life (never mind when major crimes are committed) are one-on-one…..and many times, they don’t even involve actual physical violence, but consist of verbal harrasment–which is just as disrespectful.

The point of all such incidents is to deny one one’s masculinity and the self-respect that goes with it….and unfortunately, most gay men have already done that to THEMSELVES, which is what prompts such disrespect from others go begin with.

11. A_gay_guy says

If you read the article in French, it also states that the aggresor asked if the gay men were “tchèchène”. I don’t know how this plays into the homophobia that exists in France from the Far Right.

As a Frenchie, this upsets me.

12. Ben says

It was a joke alluding to exactly what you just countered it with, rick. That’s why there was a wink at the end. Sheesh :p

Anyway, provided you are willing to accept the caveats about both king hits and group events i don’t actually disagree with you.

13. coexxi says

Rick…. bla bla bla… bad fem gays… bla bla bla…

btw: the good thing in France: just because there are loud protesters doesn’t mean the law will change tomorrow.

14. Anony6 says

Regarding France, I am shocked at what a hick country its starting to look like. I say that not just because of this hate crime, but because of the large anti-gay marches that take place in Paris and the practically non-existent pro-gay marches. Culturally things just may be different over there when it comes to public protest though. Ill eat my words if marriage equality passes.

Also, everybody, need we remind ourselves…do not feed trolls.

15. Derrick from Philly says

God bless the young who was beaten. I hope he recovers completely and quickly.

Rick,

any drag queen under the age of eighty could whup the sh.t out of your Barney Fife azz.

16. Rick says

“It was a joke alluding to exactly what you just countered it with, rick. That’s why there was a wink at the end. Sheesh ”

Sorry about that. Icons don’t show up on this site, at least not on any computer I have ever accessed it on, so I missed the “wink.”

“I’m sure the events in which the attacker gets their ass kicked and backs off happen, they just don’t get attention. Because what happens is you kick the guys ass and don’t feel the need to get police involved after it’s over and that’s the end of it”

I am not sure of that at all. I have never even anecdotally heard of a gay man kicking the a$$ of a straight man who harrassed him or attacked him–I have, however, heard and read of instances where a single straight man attacked more than one gay man at a time and did not suffer any consequences.

“The discussion here should not be over how gay men should respond to violence, that is really a non-issue. Most straight men, drunk and leaving a bar, would also get beat up by guys targeting them for an attack. Bringing up how supposedly well straight men would perform in some hypothetical scenario is nothing more than desperate hetero male worship. ”

Lsughable. This is not about being vulnerable when you are drunk. First of all, you don’t even know that the victims in this instance were drunk and the aggressors were not. You are just making that up so as to avoid the REAL issue.

You and others know perfectly well that most gay men who are beaten up by straight men are not drunk when they are and therefore incapacitated.

And as for the “hetero male worship” charge, it is precisely the kind of effeminate cowards who typically get attacked and beaten up who worship masculine/straight men.

So you are just talking in circles, trying to get the real issue off the table.

17. Rick says

I’m more masculine than the rest of you effeminates. You can tell because I type things anonymously on my computer and am not openly gay. You effeminates can’t fight back in person and I’m so masculine than I can’t even show myself online.

18. nefter says

Whats the real issue Rick?? this kid isn’t tough enough for you? just because he got beat up by three violent assholes who probably get in to fist fights all the time does not mean that he is effeminate, AND THERE NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING EFFEMINATE!!!! The real issue is Homophobia..I am not going to change who I am so douchbags will like me more..I would however be happy to test your fem guy vs masc guy theory..

19. Rick says

No, the issue is being effeminate. You limp-wristed sissies make straight men think that all gay men want to be women, and because of that my father used to dress me up in blackface drag whenever I asked to rim him because he didn’t think Id want to be dressed as a man while eating his butt.

20. Rick says

“AND THERE NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING EFFEMINATE!!!!”

Yes, there is…..in the view of men (and women, by the way) in every society that has ever existed in the history of this planet. And that will continue to be the case for all eternity.

The fundamental problem with the gay movement today is that many of you simply do not understand that conducting a crusade against masculinity (rather than against homophobiaa, per se) is doomed to failure–You will NEVER succeed in making it socially acceptable for men to be pu$$ies and cowards……

Whether you have convinced yourselves that effeminate, cowardly behavior is OK, the reality is that you/we, as gay men, are a tiny proportion of the population (and always will be) and because of that, we are not going to be the ones ultimately making the rules, any more than any minority ever is going to (even if your notion that effeminacy is OK were correct–and it is not).

So you can either continue your futile anti-masculinity crusade or you can decide to join society and abide by its rules…..and re-discover your true masculine self in the process, discarding your artificial and self-destructive effeminacy in the process…..which will not only make you more acceptable to the larger society, but will make you like yourselves much better, as well……

21. UFFDA says

Maybe you can shut those effeminate queens up once and for all, Rick, by actually just showing how masculine you are. Maybe that’ll finally let those effeminate wimps see what a real man looks like.

I hate those effeminates as much as you and maybe if you finally put a face to your comments you can show them all what a strong masculine gay man is supposed to look like.

22. nefter says

Rick, What anti masculinity crusade? Do you realize how incredible stupid you sound? Just because I accept myself and my sometimes effeminate qualities makes me neither a coward or a pussy, I would welcome the opportunity to prove it to you.

23. jamal49 says

Christians. Ya gotta love ’em. They just keep finding new ways to be more bigoted, more homophobic and more despicable every day. Fight back! Bash the christians!

24. Rick says

“Rick, What anti masculinity crusade?”

Attempting to make effeminacy and “gender-non-conformity” acceptable–which sadly has become a core principle of most gay activists at this point–constitutes attempting to eliminate the standards of masculinity that society applies to all men.

It won’t work and it works against what traditionally was the core principle of the gay movement–namely that gay people are pretty much like everybody else except for their sexual orientation and therefore deserve a place in the social mainstream.

The ideology of gay activists has gone from seeking to end the taboo against homosexuality to seeking to destroy masculinity, which is impossible to do in any case because masculinity in men is based in NATURE and PHYSIOLOGY and cannot therefore be destroyed. Trying to do so is like trying to stop earthquakes or hurricanes from happening or bears and wolves from defecating.

And until you all get that, you are doing us more harm than good…..and damaging yourselves in the process.

25. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Maybe they beat him up because he looks like Peter Lorre.”

Then maybe you ought not to travel to any place where they don’t like old cows who look like Phyllis Schlafly.

That young man’s eyes are beautiful even in that photograph.

26. nefter says

So Rick should we beat small buys that want to play with dolls so they don’t grow up to be sissys? If you are gay you really are just the worst kind. “stop earthquakes and hurricanes” What a tool.

27. Brian says

My longer post got eaten up in the towleroad comments machine, so this is a brief summary. I’ll skip the part where I explain just what a moron Rick has been over the years.

28. Scary says

I’ve been to France once before about 7 years ago, and really liked it and had been wanting to go back. But after the past 6 months of realizing how it’s not only homophobic, but very violent, I think I’ll pass.

What an embarrassment for a Western European country.

29. says

the fact that RICK refuses to put a face to his comments and show His Masculine Example proves he’s not just a wimp, but knows he’s full of s**t.

be the change you want to see. don’t anonymously complain that everyone else isn’t doing things your way.

there’s no such thing as a “culture of effeminacy” there is only a culture of Closetedness.

as long as effeminate gay men scare losers like RICK into remaining closeted forever, i say we raise a glass of pink champagne to thank them for keeping insecure self-hating homos out of sight, out of mind, and firmly in the closet.

i’ve never met a masculine gay man who takes issue with guys perceived to be “effeminate” – only ever insecure wimps who still live each day in fear of What The Straights Think.

30. Rick says

“Rick, if we (the gay community excluding you) are conducting this massive anti-masculinity campaign, and it will always be a failure just like stopping earthquakes or wolves defecating, to use your examples, then how do you account for the fact that gay rights has had unprecedented success in the last decade? it’s by far the biggest flip in public opinion that pollsters have ever seen, and all other liberal causes are looking to learn from our huge success. How do you account for our fictional “anti-masculinity campaign” marching side by side with fast growing public acceptance of gay rights?”

I account for it by noting that the intellectual notion that homosexuality is a “disease” was done away with in the early 70’s, so that younger people have not grown up with that false idea.

And I account for it by noting that, until fairly recently, the focus of most gay organizations was the right focus–on eliminating the taboo against homosexuality and stressing that gay people are mainstream, for the most part, and not mascara-and-high-heels-wearing freaks……and indeed, most of the gay people who have been the messengers for the community who have actually succeeded in changing public perception HAVE BEEM mainstream in their demeanor and behavior.

Look at the “out” gay male news anchors. Don Lemon, Tom Roberts, Anderson Cooper. None are effeminate, all dress themselves in suits and ties, etc., etc.

And you will find this in any other sector of society, as well. The gay men who are accepted are those who are NOT effeminate, whereas those that are effeminate continue to be restricted to stereotypical areas of society and denied access to the social mainstream or acceptance in it.

That is telling because it demonstrates that while people can accept homosexuality, they cannot and will not accept effeminacy.

This is also behind the recent “crusade” to find gay male professional athletes who are willing to come out. That is taking place because America WANTS to believe that gay men are just like other men and WANTS to accept them as such, but it will not accept those who instead want to use homosexuality as an excuse for behaving like women.

ENDA failed because the attempt to force “gender expression” into the bill rather than making it just about sexual orientation was unacceptable to the mainsteam–and always will be.

You should not make the mistake of thinking that because most people are willing to be fair and accept the basic premise that sexual orientation should not be a disqualifying factor from participation in mainstream society…..that they are willing to accept the radical notion of “gender-non-conformity” as mainstream.

We just need to re-focus our movement on the basics. When we do that, we succeed; when we depart from that, we fail.

31. Rick says

And one other thing, done confuse tolerance with respect. That people believe a group should not be denied basic civil rights does not mean that they necessarily like them or accept them socially, much less that they respect and embrace them.

Big, big difference.

32. says

That’s RICK’s issue – when “effeminate” men are accepted and loved by their non-gay friends and family, and no amount of pseudo-macho posturing was able to make RICK’s mommy and daddy love him.

and it shows.

if you rail against “effeminacy” yet refuse to show yourself as your own “masculine gay male example” you prove that you’re a bigger sissy than the gay men your piece-of-s**t family conditioned you to hate.

fact.

33. Brian says

Rick,

You’re just so wildly out of touch with reality it’s frightening. You really think we’re all sitting around in dresses while you’re the lone manly gay flying around in your superman tights. Gays are now what gays have always been, a wide range of “manliness” to use the term you obsess over. That hasn’t changed; We’ve become accepted as a group, not just the tough guys like you (that was a joke). For every Will there’s a Jack, and the audience didn’t say we’ll give that one rights but not that one. They said live and let live. The overwhelming majority of people on this site have very good relationships with straight people, it’s called friendship, you should try it some time.

34. Rick says

“We’ve become accepted as a group, not just the tough guys like you (that was a joke).”

No, that is where you are wrong. They have accepted men who are attracted to other men, but who differ very little from other men, otherwise.

They have rejected and will continue to reject men who, regardless of sexual orientation, idolize women and model their behavior on women….and/or men who are physical cowards.

If you don’t realize that, then you are the one who is out of touch with reality.

35. Brian says

you’re just talking nonsense and I hope you know it. Look, you’ve only got one point to your entire existence, and that’s to condemn all other gays as sissy queens. You will never drop that assertion because your world would be turned upside down and your head would explode. So you just keep typing this nonsense thinking you’re persuading people if that helps you get through your miserable life.

36. says

@Rick: you wanna read about gay men fighting back? like “real men”? if I remember history books correctly, it’s the transvestites that started to fight back against the police in the Stonewall riots.. Courage has nothing to do with “manliness” (whatever that might be..”

37. GB says

I don’t know the sexualities of the Boston victims, but there should be shame in the United States. And this was only one week ago. I hope those bashed in France recover.

38. ratbastard says

WHY DOES NO ONE EXCEPT ME, AND ONE FRENCH POSTER, ACKNOWLEDGE THE ‘CHECHEN’ ANGLE? They asked him “Are you French or Chechen?”; why did they ask this? Were his attackers Muslim?