Gay Marriage | Jeremy Irons | News

Jeremy Irons Worries That Giving Gays Marriage Might 'Debase' It, Says Father and Son Might Marry: VIDEO

Iron

Actor Jeremy Irons has concerns about same-sex marriage, he tells HuffPost Live:

"Could a father not marry his son?" Irons asked HuffPost Live host Josh Zepps. Irons argued that "it's not incest between men" because "incest is there to protect us from inbreeding, but men don't breed," and wondered whether same-sex marriage might allow fathers to pass on their estates to their sons without being taxed.

"It seems to me that now they're fighting for the name," Irons said of advocates for same-sex marriage as opposed to civil unions. "I worry that it means somehow we debase, or we change, what marriage is. I just worry about that."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Irons added that he wishes "everybody who's living with one other person the best of luck in the world."

Comments

1. Sir Jeremy Irons is an well spoken troll, somebody return him to oblivion where he belongs, ty ...

Posted by: MArk | Apr 3, 2013 7:32:46 PM

2. It's one thing to not support marriage equality and be indifferent toward our access to equal rights....it's a completely different thing to compare our equality to disturbing comparisons of incest, fathers molesting children, fathers marrying their son, beastiality.

I find these comparisons actually FAR FAR more offensive than someone who simply says they don't believe in gay marriage and leaves it at that.

Posted by: Leo Atlanta | Apr 3, 2013 7:34:09 PM

3. And, Marcus Iron is a better actor!

Posted by: nick | Apr 3, 2013 7:35:28 PM

4. He worries? Playing a Pope must have turned him into a sniveling idiot. Worry about not having any more brain cells. Now THAT'S something to worry about.

Posted by: s. | Apr 3, 2013 7:35:31 PM

5. Way too many of our gay youth are killing themselves, way too many LGBT families are torn, way too many hate crimes against our brothers and sisters occur for some privileged rich actor to throw us under the bus in such a senseless manner. And he knew exactly what he was doing when he said this.

Posted by: Jina | Apr 3, 2013 7:35:55 PM

6. I would have responded far better if he just simply said "Not sure I believe in gay marriage" but the above statement he made is cruel, heartless, ignorant, small minded and inexcusable.

Posted by: Real Talk | Apr 3, 2013 7:37:06 PM

7. I guess I should be outraged, but actually, I just really, really don't care.

Posted by: abe | Apr 3, 2013 7:37:40 PM

8. Could a mother marry her son now?

Isn't banning heterosexual marriage the only way to make sure the sky doesn't fall, then?

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Posted by: Katy Anders | Apr 3, 2013 7:38:55 PM

9. How disappointing... oh well, I love his movies and he is excellent in the Borgias... I wonder if he realizes just how idiotic he is sounding? This is almost as bad as the GOP idiot saying that gay marriage was just a ruse for straight people to get health benefits... I mean really? How about gay people having a straight marriage for just benefits... these people are simply inane.

Posted by: Gerry | Apr 3, 2013 7:39:21 PM

10. I'm sick of these constant comparisons to really disturbing relationship dynamics these bigots are making. I swear, while we may have made some progress, the level of hatred from haters and their ignorance has surely increased. There was far less comparisons to fathers sleeping with their sons, ad NAMBLA five years ago than the constant barrage of these nasty comparisons our community has to sit through today. I'm tired of it. This is beyond ignorance. This is just being evil and knowing you're hurting same sex couples and their children with these comments.

Posted by: Al 505 | Apr 3, 2013 7:39:26 PM

11. I'm sick of these constant comparisons to really disturbing relationship dynamics these bigots are making. I swear, while we may have made some progress, the level of hatred from haters and their ignorance has surely increased. There was far less comparisons to fathers sleeping with their sons, ad NAMBLA five years ago than the constant barrage of these nasty comparisons our community has to sit through today. I'm tired of it. This is beyond ignorance. This is just being evil and knowing you're hurting same sex couples and their children with these comments.

Posted by: Al 505 | Apr 3, 2013 7:39:27 PM

12. what an idiot.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Apr 3, 2013 7:40:51 PM

13. and I thought the religious right had illogical and irrational responses.....this one is the weiner! I have never heard anything so stupid in my life!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bernie | Apr 3, 2013 7:41:23 PM

14. and I thought the religious right had illogical and irrational responses.....this one is the weiner! I have never heard anything so stupid in my life!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bernie | Apr 3, 2013 7:41:25 PM

15. Um. Wait. It's not April Fool's Day still.

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 3, 2013 7:42:35 PM

16. Fathers marrying sons to avoid taxes? So once again, it's the irresponsible heterosexuals who spoil marriage equality for everyone.

Posted by: Taxman Cummeth | Apr 3, 2013 7:42:49 PM

17. maybe he took his role in Lolita a littttttttle bit too seriously...

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 3, 2013 7:43:03 PM

18. Imagine if he said this about Jews, Muslims, Latinos, Females, African Americans, or heck, even gypsies. And I say this as a gay Puerto Rican female, but enough is enough. Careless reckless commentary about LGBT gets brushed off as 'difference of opinion' when these opinions are hurting LGBT individuals and their families. The speaker gets to walk away living their privileged lives and hiding behind their 1st amendment, hardly being accountable to the damage their comments cause.
    And yes, these comments by this actor do indeed cause great damage. Never underestimate the ears of impressionable minds.

Posted by: Lipstick Diva | Apr 3, 2013 7:44:02 PM

19. Of course as it stands NOW a father and son/mother and son/father and daughter/mother and daughter couldn't be legally married...but with the definition of marriage being tampered with, how long before people start making noise to have all that become permissible too? Why stop there? Pretty soon some might even find it cute for the coffee table and the couch to be legally married too.

A society without boundaries or order... how fun.

Posted by: LCR Jay | Apr 3, 2013 7:44:19 PM

20. Is he worried he might marry his daughter?

Posted by: Rob West | Apr 3, 2013 7:49:26 PM

21. is there a parent-child marriage movement that i'm unaware of?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 3, 2013 7:50:55 PM

22. Well at least AFA, FRC and NOM will be pleased to have a more prominent spokesman...

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Apr 3, 2013 7:53:12 PM

23. You see Jeremy Iron's commentary and LCR Jay's a$$ backward rant; let that be a visible reminder to all on our side who come on these blogs and celebrate "wow, homophobia is all but over! the tide has turned. An NBC poll told me so. Our work here is done"....No, no. Our work here hasn't even started. There's sooo much work to still do to cure this society of it's ignorance, and reading some of the anti gay, anti lesbian, anti LGBT rants on my own facebook page during last weeks supreme court hearing reaffirmed that fact for me. Come live in Kansas and be openly part of our community and tell me homophobia is on it's way out. In many places, the homophobes are more vocal than ever before. Don't stop believing there's still a lot of work to be done on this front and we each individually owe it to ourselves, the LGBT that came before us and the LGBT after, to further progress our community and rid ignorance like this.

Posted by: FarmZLo | Apr 3, 2013 7:53:52 PM

24. NOM is going to use the crap out of this quote and this type of stuff is the exact kind of thing the bigots use to justify their bigotry
    "See even the Hollywood crowd who is around them gays worry about the destruction their marriages will cause on society."
    Shame on this clown.

Posted by: Jamal | Apr 3, 2013 7:55:40 PM

25. NOM is going to use the crap out of this quote and this type of stuff is the exact kind of thing the bigots use to justify their bigotry
    Shame on this clown.