Arkansas | Gay Marriage | Mark Pryor | News

Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR): 'I am Opposed to Gay Marriage'

Mark_pryor

Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR) clarified his feelings on marriage equality in a follow-up email to an interview he did last weekend with 5News:

“I am opposed to gay marriage,” he said in an e-mail. “In the interview with KFSM done on April 5, I also discussed whether gay couples should receive benefits if they work for the federal government. On the benefits issue, I said to ‘put me down in the undecided category.’  By that I meant that, depending on what the U.S. Supreme Court decides, I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples. Of course, I will consider the impact any extension of benefits would have on the federal budget.”

(via tncrm)

Comments

1. Well he needs to lose the election... if he wants to play Republican you might as well get the real thing. Democrats in AR need to get a clue and primary this clown.

Posted by: Gerry | Apr 9, 2013 3:29:17 PM

2. coward

Posted by: brian | Apr 9, 2013 3:29:37 PM

3. Any gay Arkansan citizens out there: Take note. Your senator does NOT think you are worthy of equal citizenship.

And I am willing to bet cash money that if he were asked about interracial marriage, he would probably be against that too.

The national Democratic machinery needs to cut his entitled white ass off from every cent of financial assistance he begs for.

And then we should probably think about cutting every red state off from the Federal teat. Most of them take in more Federal money than they give back in Federal taxes (Texas being a notable, brain-dead exception). Let the hateful f!ckers starve.

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Apr 9, 2013 3:32:12 PM

4. It astounds that Pryor can't see the absolute stupidity of his own statements.
    He'll let budget problems help him decide about civil rights.

Pathetic ... just pathetic.

Posted by: JONES | Apr 9, 2013 3:37:17 PM

5. Such a follower.
    Such a loser.
    Don't worry dude the future is yours to lose. You might want to butch it up a bit to convince others your not a closet case there in the backwaters of Arkansas.

Posted by: SFshawn | Apr 9, 2013 3:39:19 PM

6. We should work to make him the prior senator from Arkansas.

Posted by: Mawm | Apr 9, 2013 3:39:19 PM

7. "I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples."

He will evaluate whether gay couples are worthy to be treated with basic fairness or if they should remain in the second class citizen category. What a pompous ass.

Posted by: Peter M. | Apr 9, 2013 3:42:18 PM

8. From the look of him in that picture, you couldn't pull a needle out of his butt. Funny how the ones who don't have orgasms don't want other people to have them either.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 9, 2013 3:43:55 PM

9. I agree, this guy needs to be removed from office. The idea that any Democrat cannot lean to the side of equal rights astounds me. The Democratic party should shun this guy as quickly as possible.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 9, 2013 3:45:04 PM

10. Well f*ck you too *sshole.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Apr 9, 2013 3:45:54 PM

11. "Of course, I will consider the impact any extension of benefits would have on the federal budget."

But, of course, it's just okee-dokee for gay citizens to have to keep paying taxes into a system that doesn't allow them to take advantage of said benefits.

Posted by: Rexford | Apr 9, 2013 4:12:08 PM

12. "Of course, I will consider the impact any extension of benefits would have on the federal budget."

That's kind-of stupid isn't it? If the Federal government fired all its LGBT employees and replaced them with breeders, the breeder-couples would all be entitled to full benefits, no questions asked and no worrying about the budget. Fair is fair and this guy is an asshat.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Apr 9, 2013 4:18:50 PM

13. "I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples."

Based on what? Money? Then you'd better start supporting it pronto as if benefits were available to spouses and children of legally wed gay couples the government would save almost $1 billion per year by getting these folks off of "emergency room health care" and Medicaid and into far less costly health care you illiterate moron.

Posted by: Dale | Apr 9, 2013 4:29:49 PM

14. Hey Sparky,did you ever think twice about benefits going out to straight couples? I thought not.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Apr 9, 2013 4:33:46 PM

15. It's particularly dishonest and pathetic to raise "the impact any extension of benefits would have on the federal budget" when discussing marriage equality. Even though I might not agree with the loony Bible thumpers and their self righteous moralizing about "one man one woman" marriage, at least I think they are being sincere in their erroneous beliefs. When you have to throw up excuses like "it cost too much" you know you have completely lost the argument on the substance of the issue. I guess he is better than a Republican replacement, but not by much.

Posted by: Joseph | Apr 9, 2013 4:43:37 PM

16. DINO

Posted by: Sam | Apr 9, 2013 4:51:19 PM

17. What a cretin.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Apr 9, 2013 5:06:04 PM

18. @Jack M: "From the look of him in that picture, you couldn't pull a needle out of his butt."

Ha! I tend to think of him more like a Rick, i.e., with "leakage problems!"

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 9, 2013 5:06:08 PM

19. No surprise here. Pryor's probably the most vulnerable Democrat up for re-election. But coming out as anti-marriage equality won't help him with Arkansans.

Posted by: Albert | Apr 9, 2013 5:35:56 PM

20. Here's the thing..he's already in deep trouble and if I had to pick one Democrat that is going to lose his reelection no matter what,Pryor's the guy.
    Being on the wrong side of history won't help him but it doesn't shock me one bit that a senator from one of the most homophobic places in the Western Hemisphere would be against gay marriage.

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 9, 2013 5:48:19 PM

21. Looks like Arkansas is keeping up with its bigoted history quite well.

Posted by: zeddy | Apr 9, 2013 6:09:30 PM

22. He can kiss reelection goodbye.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 9, 2013 6:13:00 PM

23. I live in Arkansas... and yeah, he's a milksop p.o.s. He rode into office on his father's coat tails, who was actually a decent, fairly progressive senator and pre-Bill Clinton governor. I understand that Pryor, Jr., has a crazy religious wife who has brainwashed him so much that he dribbles Jesus out like a stigmata.

So... there's little hope for us except to tie a Republican around our neck like an albatross until s/he rots off... and we can get an actual, decent Democrat in there.

Interestingly, Pryor was at boot camp recently (i.e., fat camp)... and I know he spent some time with a few queens there. Maybe that's why he hates us so.

Posted by: pear bear | Apr 9, 2013 6:25:16 PM

24. I live in Arkansas... and yeah, he's a milksop p.o.s. He rode into office on his father's coat tails, who was actually a decent, fairly progressive senator and pre-Bill Clinton governor. I understand that Pryor, Jr., has a crazy religious wife who has brainwashed him so much that he dribbles Jesus out like a stigmata.

Posted by: pear bear | Apr 9, 2013 6:25:17 PM

25. "By that I meant that, depending on what the U.S. Supreme Court decides, I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples."

Depending on what SCOTUS decides, the issue hopefully won't be subject to evaluation by small-minded dolts such as Pryor.

Posted by: Unregressive | Apr 9, 2013 6:37:17 PM