Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR): ‘I am Opposed to Gay Marriage’

Mark_pryor

Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR) clarified his feelings on marriage equality in a follow-up email to an interview he did last weekend with 5News:

“I am opposed to gay marriage,” he said in an e-mail. “In the interview with KFSM done on April 5, I also discussed whether gay couples should receive benefits if they work for the federal government. On the benefits issue, I said to ‘put me down in the undecided category.’  By that I meant that, depending on what the U.S. Supreme Court decides, I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples. Of course, I will consider the impact any extension of benefits would have on the federal budget.”

(via tncrm)

Comments

1. Gerry says

Well he needs to lose the election… if he wants to play Republican you might as well get the real thing. Democrats in AR need to get a clue and primary this clown.

2. One of the CA 36,000 says

Any gay Arkansan citizens out there: Take note. Your senator does NOT think you are worthy of equal citizenship.

And I am willing to bet cash money that if he were asked about interracial marriage, he would probably be against that too.

The national Democratic machinery needs to cut his entitled white ass off from every cent of financial assistance he begs for.

And then we should probably think about cutting every red state off from the Federal teat. Most of them take in more Federal money than they give back in Federal taxes (Texas being a notable, brain-dead exception). Let the hateful f!ckers starve.

3. JONES says

It astounds that Pryor can’t see the absolute stupidity of his own statements.
    He’ll let budget problems help him decide about civil rights.

Pathetic … just pathetic.

4. SFshawn says

Such a follower.
    Such a loser.
    Don’t worry dude the future is yours to lose. You might want to butch it up a bit to convince others your not a closet case there in the backwaters of Arkansas.

5. Peter M. says

“I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples.”

He will evaluate whether gay couples are worthy to be treated with basic fairness or if they should remain in the second class citizen category. What a pompous ass.

6. Jack M says

From the look of him in that picture, you couldn’t pull a needle out of his butt. Funny how the ones who don’t have orgasms don’t want other people to have them either.

7. Mike Ryan says

I agree, this guy needs to be removed from office. The idea that any Democrat cannot lean to the side of equal rights astounds me. The Democratic party should shun this guy as quickly as possible.

8. Rexford says

“Of course, I will consider the impact any extension of benefits would have on the federal budget.”

But, of course, it’s just okee-dokee for gay citizens to have to keep paying taxes into a system that doesn’t allow them to take advantage of said benefits.

9. Alex Parrish says

That’s kind-of stupid isn’t it? If the Federal government fired all its LGBT employees and replaced them with breeders, the breeder-couples would all be entitled to full benefits, no questions asked and no worrying about the budget. Fair is fair and this guy is an asshat.

10. Dale says

“I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples.”

Based on what? Money? Then you’d better start supporting it pronto as if benefits were available to spouses and children of legally wed gay couples the government would save almost $1 billion per year by getting these folks off of “emergency room health care” and Medicaid and into far less costly health care you illiterate moron.

11. Joseph says

It’s particularly dishonest and pathetic to raise “the impact any extension of benefits would have on the federal budget” when discussing marriage equality. Even though I might not agree with the loony Bible thumpers and their self righteous moralizing about “one man one woman” marriage, at least I think they are being sincere in their erroneous beliefs. When you have to throw up excuses like “it cost too much” you know you have completely lost the argument on the substance of the issue. I guess he is better than a Republican replacement, but not by much.

12. Jeff says

@Jack M: “From the look of him in that picture, you couldn’t pull a needle out of his butt.”

Ha! I tend to think of him more like a Rick, i.e., with “leakage problems!”

13. Albert says

No surprise here. Pryor’s probably the most vulnerable Democrat up for re-election. But coming out as anti-marriage equality won’t help him with Arkansans.

14. Kevin says

Here’s the thing..he’s already in deep trouble and if I had to pick one Democrat that is going to lose his reelection no matter what,Pryor’s the guy.
    Being on the wrong side of history won’t help him but it doesn’t shock me one bit that a senator from one of the most homophobic places in the Western Hemisphere would be against gay marriage.

15. pear bear says

I live in Arkansas… and yeah, he’s a milksop p.o.s. He rode into office on his father’s coat tails, who was actually a decent, fairly progressive senator and pre-Bill Clinton governor. I understand that Pryor, Jr., has a crazy religious wife who has brainwashed him so much that he dribbles Jesus out like a stigmata.

So… there’s little hope for us except to tie a Republican around our neck like an albatross until s/he rots off… and we can get an actual, decent Democrat in there.

Interestingly, Pryor was at boot camp recently (i.e., fat camp)… and I know he spent some time with a few queens there. Maybe that’s why he hates us so.

16. pear bear says

17. Unregressive says

“By that I meant that, depending on what the U.S. Supreme Court decides, I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples.”

Depending on what SCOTUS decides, the issue hopefully won’t be subject to evaluation by small-minded dolts such as Pryor.

18. andrew says

Progressives should give him a pass on this issue. If as a democrat, he wins re-election in the very Red State of Arkansas, which Obama lost by 24%, Pryor will vote with the democrats, assuming they get 50 seats plus VP Biden to organize the Senate. That means that a democratic Senator will Chair every committee and set the agenda. That is crucial for the future of all progressive legislation.

19. CPT_Doom says

Anyone asked Pryor if he supports Newt Gingrich’s policy of constantly dumping his current wife for whatever homewrecking skank is willing to go down on him?

20. Bob says

LET’S NOT DO THE TYPICAL FOOLISH “CUT OFF OUR NOSE TO SPITE OUR FACE” THING….

Democrats are a minority in Arkansas, a State with 31% approval of marriage equality. Let him do what he needs to keep his seat, rather that being replaced by a republican.

SAVE THE ENERGY FOR THOSE ACTUALLY DOING HARM — there are plenty of them

21. ggreen says

Pryor was one half of the Walmart Twins (with manly Blanche Lincoln). Now he has to kiss the Walton family’s fat asses with empty suit John Boozman. Arkansas is just as bad as Texas and Oklahoma just a little bit politer.

22. Rick says

Such stupidity in these comments. Pryor took a big risk by voting for DADT repeal in a state where homophobia runs deep and Evangelicals dominate the culture.

To come out in favor of gay marriage would ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE his defeat in his re-election campaign.

So are you all seriously suggesting that he should sacrifice his entire political career over the question of gay marriage? Did you hold Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton to the same standard?

It really is troubling how totally out of touch with political reality so many of you are. Seriously.

23. Bob says

NOT TO MENTION THAT HE HAS NO CONTROL OVER IT — I would prefer he stayed in office for when we need him on matters before the Senate.

Marriage is going to be decided by SCOTUS and the States, and is not going to come up in the Senate, and he is not a State official.

24. SC David says

“depending on what the U.S. Supreme Court decides, I will evaluate whether federal benefits should be available to gay couples. ”

Wow–who knew that the senator from Arkansas could overrule the Supreme Court after he “evaluates” their decision?

Or maybe he meant that if the Supremes didn’t go far enough, he’d try to find a way to get some bennies to same-sex couples. Yup, I’m sure that’s what he meant. 😉

25. dcinsider says

Pryor is a grotesque freak and one has to wonder whether having him in the “majority” is so absolutely necessary that we ignore his obvious shortcomings. That being said, the posters here who suggest that the vitriol was never used against Obama or Hillary for similar positions in the not to distant past does suggest that this particular litmus test needs a little flexibility. If he lost his next election, i certainly won;t cry for him, but if his seat put Mitch McConnell in as majority leader, I’d suggest that would hurt us a lot more in the long run. So sometimes you have to have assholes like Pryor and Manchin and just learn to live with them when the alternative is so awful.