Snoop Lion Not Sure if It Will Ever Be Acceptable to Be Gay in the Rap Music World

Snoop Lion talks to Simon Hattenstone at The Guardian:

Snoop_lionWhat about homosexuality? "I don't have a problem with gay people. I got some gay homies." He looks round the room and laughs. "Yeah, for real. People who were gay used to get beat up. It was cool to beat up on gay people back then. But in the 90s and 2000s, gay is a way of life. Just regular people with jobs. Now they are accepted, not classified. They just went through the same things we went through as black."

He recently spoke out in support of gay marriage in America. Does he think that Frank Ocean coming out is a sign of progress in the rap world? "Frank Ocean ain't no rapper. He's a singer. It's acceptable in the singing world, but in the rap world I don't know if it will ever be acceptable because rap is so masculine. It's like a football team. You can't be in a locker room full of motherf**king tough-ass dudes, then all of a sudden say, 'Hey, man, I like you.' You know, that's going to be tough."

Comments

1. northalabama says

snoop publicly displays so much ignorance on these subjects, i’m really confused why those close to him let him keep piling on.

this week, gays can’t be masculine enough for a locker room or rap music, because he wrongly believes all gay men are effeminate.

a few weeks ago, when on bill maher, he described homosexuality as the result of molestation by gay pedophiles.

when will a friend with some sense pull him off to the side and explain the truth, hopefully preventing his making an even bigger fool of himself? he’s becoming a model for the dangers of drug abuse.

2. Michael says

Yeah, Hip Hop isn’t gay at all. It must be country music singers that came up with the term “down low”.

Give me a break. Snoop’s realm in Hip Hop was back in the 90’s, I think, and it’s been long dead.

3. says

“‘You can’t be in a locker room full of motherf**king tough-ass dudes, then all of a sudden say, ‘Hey, man, I like you.’ You know, that’s going to be tough.'” People are so ignorant. Just because someone is gay doesn’t mean that he likes all straight men. Ignorance at it’s best, right here.

4. Brian in Texas says

He means well. His comments come from a place of ignorance rather than hate or bigotry.

5. says

I think he means well. While he may have sounded a bit ignorant I think that stems more from poor word choice than anything else (sidenote: I totally see the irony in using the poor word choice argument while defending someone who makes a living with his words)

I think he was totally sincere in his remarks, and while he may not have been 100% supportive of gay rappers, I think this is a step in the right direction

P.S. Let snoop lion know that Im a gay rapper and i can outrap him anyday, with or without my wig on!

6. Adam says

The singing industry, especially at the commercial level, is just as homophobic towards men as the rap industry.

7. Francis #1 says

He’s just ignorant. He did say a few weeks ago that man and woman is the “right way” and that gay pedophiles more or less turn out kids and turn them gay. I don’t really think he’s homophobic. He simply doesn’t get it.

These comments are ironic given he said back when Frank Ocean came out in July that a gay rapper is welcome in the industry.

I’m not going to give him the free pass some others may be willing to extend but I also don’t care enough about Snoop to concern myself with anything he says. Hopefully his “gay homies” reach out to him and educate him.

8. bambinoitaliano says

Oh Snoop whatever animal of the month you are, no one in the locker room is going to go hey man I like you. Because as professional football players they are all mother effing tough asses. It is your own fear and insecurity to think that everyone is going to fantasize about you in the locker room or recording studio. I’m sure some men are turn on by you, but i would not presume you would act out your lustful c**t monster on every women you meet.

9. Kim says

Frank going on Fallon and Grammys singing about a man he was in love with is coming out.Frank telling the Guardian that as a 13 yo he wished he had someone he looked up to who talked about falling in love with a man,talking about how someone could commit a hate crime after he released letter on tumblr.Frank mentioning in GQ how he could have continued dating girls as some in his circle encouraged him to do but he couldn’t is coming out.Did he say I am Gay no but neither did Matt Bomer.Matt simply thanked his partner and their kids.Frank’s “brother ” Tyler the Creator just released a CD on three songs he talks about Frank being Gay
    One lyric is Frank came out the closet another Frank is Gay.Frank also appears on the CD.When Frank decided he would put Bad Religion, Forest Gump and Thinkin About You on Channel Orange he made it clear he wasn’t straight.Some actor Kyle recently tweeted he was engaged

to a man yet he has never. Said he was Gay.Did that Guy come out?

10. nick says

No wonder so many gay kids kill themselves. This kind of ignorance is appalling. This idiot thinks openly gay means throwing yourself on unwilling people. I honestly don’t believe things do get any better. It’s going to takes HUNDREDS of years.

11. greg says

Not sure why Snoops management team keeps putting him in media situations where he has to wax political on subjects he clearly knows nothing about. This guy is an ex gangbanger from the streets of Compton. Do we really think he’s gonna perform at a gay wedding? Do we really care? As a few of the above posters mentioned, I don’t think he comes from a hateful place, just deeply ignorant and uneducated.

12. jeremyrain says

Why do people have to be so offensive against Snoop? He speaks the truth, it’s ugly and sad, but it’s the truth: the rap community is still very touchy about gays. Honestly, numbers rappers who are open-minded like Jay-Z or Snoop Dogg can only count in 1 hand. He has nothing but support for us. But only him is not enough.

13. greg says

The irony to Snoops comments about gays in rap music is that rap is FULL of ‘DL’, down low dudes. A term coined in the black and hip hop communities, btw. Dont get me started on the list. But as a rapper in the game for over 20 years, Snoop is oh so well aware of that list.

14. mike128 says

Rap is not masculine. Any time you need to over-emphasize or perform “masculinity”, you’re not coming off as masculine, whatever you might think.

15. Robert Ellison says

You guys can’t seriously be offended by what he said. Why so much animosity? He told the truth. The harsh reality is that it will indeed be tuff. He expressed his support for lgbt rights and even compared it to the fight for racial equality. He said nothing hateful here. As far as his football analogy, yes he could have worded it better but in fairness the question could have been formed better also. And to who ever said he “still” hates gays and is just pretending, do you have proof that he ever hated gays to begin with? Get a grip guys.

16. Audi-owner says

Ghetto rapper says what?!

Sorry but the hiphop/rap “scene” will never change,simply for the fact that the ignorant/ghetto mentality is what makes it money.

17. Francis #1 says

When did he equate gay *rights* to the rights of the black community? He sure didn’t do so in that quote above.

Snoop’s words aren’t offensive, for me at least, because he’s so clearly ignorant on our issues that even though he may not be a bigot, he’s still not helpful to our cause whatsoever. It’s a lot like Rob Gronkowski and many others. They think they’re being supportive yet don’t realize the homophobia that comes from their own words. They just don’t get it. Like greg said, this is a former street guy from Compton who does/did hardcore rap for a living. He doesn’t really know what he’s saying which is why I don’t understand why everyone and their grandmother is asked about our livelihoods as gay.

I don’t consider someone who says gay pedophiles turn kids gay as and that woman+man is the right way, a supporter of our cause. He’s not an anti-gay bigot though which is about as good as we can hope for.

18. johnny says

The music industry isn’t the only thing that’s homophobic, most male musicians are as well. I always found it very ironic that rockers with their long hair, eye liner and spandex were some of the most homophobic people I’d been around. And don’t get me started on the country music scene, many of those guys are animals. When you’ve worked in the industry, you realize quite quickly that a group of musicians are not a “safe” place to try and come out. Not at all, especially if you aren’t in one of the major metro areas on the coasts.

We still have a very long road ahead of us.

19. Billy Crytical says

For heterosexual males, gay men can never be masculine enough or cool enough to hang with. Cazwell said he recognized he could never be enough for heterosexual rappers. There is fierce resistance to gay men to entering fields that are dominated by heterosexual males.

20. rick scatorum says

Maybe he was high

Maher missed an opportunity to call him on the pedophilia stuff he said on the show

21. Kim says

So rap and hip hop is homophobic then so is Hard Rock and Country. Where are the Gay country singers Hell where are the Gay leading men. In Hollywood? I guess the fact that they are on the DL is the Black community fault too.Music is no different than pro sports or Hollywood.

22. Jay says

I didn’t know who the Hell “Snoop Lion” was, so I googled him and realized that he and “Snoop Dogg” are one and the same.

23. says

Guys, did anyone expect Snoop Lion to be a transcendent voice? Many of us grew up with him in the public. We know him. He is ignorant, it happens.

24. kodiak says

A straight friend of mine went with a gay friend of his to the Spike here in NYC once long ago. He told me it terrified him, all those leather clad muscled out dudes macho macho men. And this guy used to be a personal trainer who worked out with Fabio. This kinda blows Snoops locker room fantasy out of the water. He thinks gay guys are all femme pink poodles. Wake up, Mr Keepin It Real!

25. Kim says

The reason a lot of people think most Gay are not masculine is because most famous Gay men are not masculine like Carson Kressley,Nathan Lane,David Hyde,Sean Hayes,Adam Lambert…most Gay men are masculine but most not all famous Gay men in public are not.Some are masc like Matt Bomer