Augusten Burroughs | Books | Couples | Gay Marriage | News

Writer Augusten Burroughs Marries

A literary union.

BurroughsFrom the NYT:

Christopher Robert Schelling, a literary agent, and the writer Augusten Burroughs, who is also his client, were married Monday at Staten Island Borough Hall. Edison Stewart, the deputy city clerk for Staten Island, officiated. Mr. Schelling (left), 50, is the founder of Selectric Artists, an agency in Manhattan that represents fiction and nonfiction writers, as well as musicians. He graduated from DePauw University in Indiana.

Burroughs is the author of eight books including Running with Scissors, Dry, and Magical Thinking.

Congrats!

Comments

1. Every Time I Pick Up Dry I Laugh And Cry Each Time. One Of My Top Books.

Posted by: andypharmer | Apr 7, 2013 1:59:58 PM

2. I have a friend (a straight guy) who's a fan of Augusten Burroughs and always recommending him to me. I finally have something to add when he talks about him.

Posted by: Kyle | Apr 7, 2013 2:01:53 PM

3. Who cares?

Posted by: Hagatha | Apr 7, 2013 3:45:59 PM

4. Bet he still won't return Austen's calls.

Posted by: Buster | Apr 7, 2013 3:59:22 PM

5. Hagatha: Do you know what i don't care? people who spend their time bitching and trolling.
    If you are not interesting, go and be annoying in another place

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 7, 2013 4:16:46 PM

6. Hmm, not to sound catty, but it would seem that having a personal relationship with his agent might help explain why Augusten has been able to release some really low-quality books in recent years. I used to think he was great, but the quality has really dropped---even aside from the repetition.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 7, 2013 5:31:57 PM

7. Hag: I care, and at least one writer and one editor at the New York Times believes enough of their millions of readers care. The Times circulates 2.1 million copies (including digital accounts) on Sunday, with 1+ readers per copy/account. What are your numbers (no, pubic lice don't count)?

Nobody asked "does Hagatha the Towleroad Troll" care? Nobody.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Apr 7, 2013 5:35:03 PM

8. Sometimes, reading the comments on this website make me want to shove everyone back in the closet. What a bunch of cynical bores.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 7, 2013 6:13:58 PM

9. Threads like this make me hope Andy discontinues comments.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 7, 2013 6:40:19 PM

10. Have you read his recent books? I'm guessing not.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 7, 2013 6:46:48 PM

11. Congratulations guys!!!

Posted by: andrew | Apr 7, 2013 10:43:43 PM

12. Hmmmmm. Since Augusten couldn't marry the person he clearly loves and admires above all others, himself, I suppose the person paid to promote him is the next best thing.

Sorry, so many people recommended his books to me and I went in prepared to love them but just.... didn't. In fact it was like chewing aluminum foil to get through them and his egotism was a HUGE part of that.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 8, 2013 9:34:04 AM

13. Who needs the outside world casting stones at us when we've got each other?

Posted by: Sam | Apr 8, 2013 9:54:57 AM

14. Congrats.

Funny how the announcement doesn't mention his mom... only his deceased dad. I've loved his writing but after that last self help mess - along with this announcement... Ego wins!

Posted by: Cliff | Apr 8, 2013 1:32:13 PM