Atheism | News | Tornado

Wolf Blitzer Asks Tornado-Surviving Atheist if She Thanked the Lord: VIDEO

Blitzer

Awkward.

Saved by the polite survivor: “We are here and you know, I don’t blame anybody for thanking the lord.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Now frankly, that's just a dumb irrelevant, question to ask anyone who has been through what they have been through. CNN has gone down the drain.

Posted by: Tom | May 22, 2013 10:08:29 AM

2. 24 dead, hundreds wounded, thousands displaced and left in financial, billions in damages in the worst tornado in recorded history....yes, thank you lord for that incredible 40 minutes.....

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 22, 2013 10:16:28 AM

3. So strange that it should still seem like a risk to make such a confession on camera. Good for her for choosing not to dodge it.

Posted by: VSo | May 22, 2013 10:18:45 AM

4. Wolf then went on to ask the town Rastafarian if he had asked Jesus to forgive his sins during the worst of the tornado.

The Rastafarian said, "Jesus is just all right with me, but the Doobie Brothers are where its at. Oh, yeah."

Posted by: Acronym Jim | May 22, 2013 10:24:31 AM

5. I give her credit. Some atheists would feel pressure to stay in the closet while on national television and she handled it very graciously. Yes, I agree with Tom - it was a dumb and irrelevant question. It should have only come up if the interviewee directly said something to the effect of thanking the lord.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | May 22, 2013 10:28:57 AM

6. ...and wont be surprised if that woman - will be (driven out-Of Moore by those "Uber religious" wackjobs of MOORE ,OK.

Posted by: disgusted american | May 22, 2013 10:35:52 AM

7. What an idiot that guy is. She handled that remarkably well.

Posted by: gwynethcornrow | May 22, 2013 10:36:31 AM

8. Acronym Jim, you just made my day

Posted by: Sully | May 22, 2013 10:39:18 AM

9. Thanking the lord for anything to do with this tornado is idiotic. It's like thanking your stepfather when he stops beating you. Isn't this the same lord that sent the tornado?

Posted by: Frank | May 22, 2013 10:42:38 AM

10. I noticed on the map provided the other day that Oklahoma is one of the states that changed their Constitution to prevent Marriage Equality.

Do you think the tornadoes are a message from 'god' that they f'd up?

(Seriously, it's frightening to me that publicly attributing anything to a god isn't just laughable... it's 2013, for cryin' out loud)

Posted by: Pete N SFO | May 22, 2013 10:44:40 AM

11. Wolf Blitzer is Jewish (not that there's anything wrong with that) so....

This seems to be a case of Producer-in-Earpiece Syndrome, especially at 0:12 when it begins turning into an Inquisition.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | May 22, 2013 10:47:52 AM

12. TV news reporters are so much less intelligent and professional than they were in the past. Nice job, Wolfie.

Posted by: Jack M | May 22, 2013 10:49:55 AM

13. @Frank..."Isn't this the same lord that sent the tornado?" NO Frank...The lord did not send that tornado....they homo-gays did.

Posted by: Ted | May 22, 2013 10:57:24 AM

14. She handled it amazingly well. It would have been easier to just say "Yeah. (whatever)" and moved one. In fact I've wondered whether I would have just reflexively said yes in her position, not really out of fear/shame but social conditioning and the easy way out. IMO she's an example for atheists everywhere.

Blitzer is an @ss for asking in the first place, trying to put words in her mouth like he was scripting what was supposed to be an interview. "C'mon, wail to Jesus for me!"

And what was she supposed to say? "Yes, I thank God for destroying all my possessions and the town around me, but allowing me personally to narrowly escape death!"

Posted by: Caliban | May 22, 2013 11:00:34 AM

15. Cue Randy Newman!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 22, 2013 11:04:23 AM

16. She's the perfect example of coexisting.

Posted by: BearlyBob | May 22, 2013 11:05:02 AM

17. When is Blitzer going to retire?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | May 22, 2013 11:05:43 AM

18. What is a "Lord " ?

I'm a Republican in the French Revolution sense only, and as with all Lords, 'Off with their heads'.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 22, 2013 11:25:30 AM

19. So the next big and probably toughest of all battles is going to be dealing with the christiancentric bias in our culture. I'm old enough to know that this has gotten much worse in the past 40 or so years (however much the christians may effectively play the poor victim role in pretending there is acontinual attack on them). They have a stranglehold on us despite all the nice words in teh Bill of Rights about freedom of religion (which needs to be recognized as also meaning freedom from religion).

Posted by: Rob | May 22, 2013 11:27:39 AM

20. Mysticism is big after a tornado. When asked by a reporter (I think it was Scott Pelley) what they needed, the OK Governor answered, "Prayers".

Posted by: David | May 22, 2013 11:37:07 AM

21. To all those survivors who credit The Lord for saving them, I wonder how they explain why The Lord struck down those little children instead.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | May 22, 2013 11:47:16 AM

22. Leave it to Wolf and CNN to continue to lower the already very low bar of news reporting on this natural disaster.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 22, 2013 12:02:20 PM

23. Whether or not you believe in God, why would anyone think that God would have anything to do with tornadoes?

The stupid, it hurts.

Posted by: johnny | May 22, 2013 12:24:17 PM

24. People thank the Lord because they it's the socially acceptable vocal crutch in such a situation. God had nothing to do with Oklahoma this week, that's for sure.

Either God is behind all natural violence in the world, or else he is powerless to stop it. Either way spells a spiritual dilemma -- is your God unconcerned with you, or just not powerful? The conventional answer is 'We can't know what God has in mind.'

Posted by: Gregoire | May 22, 2013 12:24:37 PM

25. I pray for better building codes, required practice drills, required safe rooms, but since Oklahoma is one of those very religious states, I guess they feel that rather than an responsible state regulatory agency, the Lord will provide. Maybe he was on a bathroom break?

Posted by: StevyD | May 22, 2013 12:43:28 PM