Baseball | Boston Marathon Bombing | News | Sports

Boston Bombing Victim and Man Who Helped Save Him Throw Out First Pitch for the Red Sox: VIDEO

Bauman

Jeff Bauman, who lost both legs in the Boston bombing, and Carlos Arredondo, the man who assisted at the bomb site and was photographed pushing Bauman to safety threw out the first pitch for the Red Sox last night. Needless to say, it was an emotional moment.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bauman_ortiz

Comments

1. just..... wow.... if this doesn't touch you, nothing can.

beautiful

Posted by: scott | May 29, 2013 10:38:43 AM

2. What happened to the video link?

Posted by: BDR | May 29, 2013 11:09:26 AM

3. link not working.

Posted by: phil | May 29, 2013 11:32:22 AM

4. Yes, it's terribly sad, heroic, and moving. But please don't think me heartless when I cringe at such awful suffering -- the rescuer's as well as that of the man he rescued -- being repackaged into handy-dandy, punchy little soundbites and picture-perfect Memory-Book Moments.

I realize that this is our culture's way of dealing with the unbearably awful, but there's something cheap about the packaging.

Posted by: Mort | May 29, 2013 1:25:06 PM

5. @Mort,

I agree with you. Kinda. But you make a valid point.

I hope Mr. Bauman lives a fulfilling life. And Mr. Arredondo is a stand-up man. His Marine son died in Afghanistan and he pulled of some what I'd call stunts years ago like trying to set fire to a Marine recruiting station and in the process setting himself on fire, but he's obviously the real McCoy.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 29, 2013 1:43:23 PM

6. ratbastard has his facts confused - which will surely surprise you all. The truth is Arredondo was so overcome with grief upon being notified of his son's death that he crawled into the van of the marines who had come to notify him and doused himself with gas. A far cry from attacking a recruiting station, unless you are ratbastard or a regular consumer of Fox Noise.

Posted by: melvin | May 29, 2013 1:52:42 PM

7. mort, most times i would agree with you, but not this time. i saw that harrowing picture, and i won't describe it, but carlos literally held jeff's life pinched between thumb and forefinger. and then i read of carlos's life and the loss of his two sons, and what he has chosen to do with his own life, and i prefer to think these two were aimed at each other, inexorably, to help each other. sometimes it works out that way, without a script or a voice over.

Posted by: bandanajack | May 29, 2013 1:55:34 PM

8. @Melvin,

You are correct. He set fire to a marine van. I meant to say van but hurriedly wrote recruiting station. He also was very vocal in and around Boston, where his son's funeral took place, and was associated with various 'advocacy' groups that made some people question if he wasn't using his son's death for ideological and political purposes above and beyond antiwar activities. This may still be the case, I don't know. But I do believe he's a stand-up guy just for how he acted after the bombing alone, and I'm sure he's a sincere guy in his other activities.

Melvin, many people questioned his behavior after his son's death. They thought he acted melodramatic and was an attention seeker. He did pull off various what I'd call stunts. Al though everyone sympathizes with him in his sorrow over his son's death, they also realize his son volunteered to join the Marines and died fighting in battle, which is what Marines do. It was the Marines fault per se. Setting fire to the van and almost killing himself didn't accomplish anything.

And Melvin, I'm very much antiwar. And am amused [is this too flippant a word to use when talking about war?] with 95% of Democratic 'progressives' who are DEAD SILENT in regards to President Obama's insincerity, lies, in regards to many campaign promises, including his 'outrage' over our wars [GW's wars as progressives like to call them] and how he was going to stop them and bring 'Hope and Change'. Well, he did no such thing, he's actually escalated and added his own twists, including expanding the Patriot Act and other offenses to civil liberties. When was the last major antiwar protest comparable to those that took place daily under GW?

*crickets*

When was the last time Cindy Sheehan was in the news protesting?

*crickets*

And she still protests, it's just most of her Democratic party 'friends' have abandoned her now that we have a 'progressive' Democratic president. A president who doesn't keep many of his campaign promises, just like Democratic and Republican presidents before him. Hope and change my arse.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 29, 2013 2:17:21 PM

9. That should read 'WASN'T' the marines fault, per se.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 29, 2013 2:18:41 PM

10. The politics of previous posters aside, it was very nice to see Jeff happy and in good spirits since the last images the country saw of him were truly horrific. I also seems that Carlos found a young man who could never replace his lost sons, but will be forever in Carlos' life and will hopefully bring him some happiness and solace.

Posted by: Chadd | May 29, 2013 3:09:57 PM

11. He was a presence at Occupy Boston, which you probably consider a stunt. As for the van incident, isn't it obvious that it was a spontaneous reaction from someone half out of his mind - as in "your son is dead" - rather than some planned action?

No time ro respond more fully at the moment - I have to change the oil in my recruiting station.

Posted by: melvin | May 29, 2013 3:14:46 PM

12. @Melvin,

I gave a perfectly reasonable and non-troll-like response to your previous post. I even admitted I was my error regarding the recruiting vs van. Give it a rest.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 29, 2013 3:27:41 PM