Colorado | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hundreds of Gay and Lesbian Couples Get Civil Unions as Colorado's Law Takes Effect: VIDEO

Civil_colorado

Colorado's civil unions law went into effect at 12:01 am last night and hundreds of couples were lined up to celebrate and take part in the state's first legal recognition of their relationships.

The Denver Post reports:

Mayor Michael Hancock performed many of the first ceremonies, along with U.S. Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Denver, municipal judges and religious officiants at multiple stations to move through the crowd in the early morning hours.

Fran and Anna Simon, who have campaigned for same-sex marriage and civil unions for years, were the first in Denver to get a license and the first to have a ceremony.

Shutters snapped, lights flashed and TV cameramen jockeyed for space as the couples made their way through the Webb Building's glassy atrium. People crowded thick around them, like a scene from the red carpet on Oscar night.

Above, the Simons (with son Jeremy), the first couple to get a civil union in Denver.

Watch local news reports and see a few more photos, AFTER THE JUMP...

(photos jon monteith one colorado)

4_colorado

2_colorado

5_colorado

6_colorado

7_colorado

Comments

1. I have no problems with civil unions for homosexuals. In fact I think it's a decent compromise.

Posted by: Krajci | May 1, 2013 7:28:32 AM

2. I have no problems with civil unions for homosexuals. In fact I think it's a decent compromise.

Posted by: Krajci | May 1, 2013 7:28:32 AM

as a "homosexual" who's MARRIED in VT - CU are a start - but THEY ARE 2nd CLASS CITIZENSHIP - period!

Posted by: disgusted american | May 1, 2013 7:48:19 AM

3. Congratulations to the couples hope they have many happy years together.

Civil Unions can only be a temporary step,
    seperate is not equal, and no Federal benefits or recognition and not recognised by most States even those who have already Equal Marriage All of DOMA must go and gay and transgender needs to be strict scrutiny as far as the courts are concerned.
    Sexual orientation and gender needs to be added to the civil rights acts (and without the present exemptions in the current version of ENDA) - It has never been a principle of law that you can hurt people and get out of the consequences by claiming god told you to do it!!

Posted by: Kathryn | May 1, 2013 8:10:03 AM

4. Not to diminish the happiness of those who participated, but I don't want to settle for "be happy with what we give you while we keep the good stuff to ourselves". Separate is not Equal.

Posted by: Chadd | May 1, 2013 8:22:52 AM

5. This is a lot better than nothing. Separate is not equal; but this is, I hope, a temporary compromise. I am 47. 35 years ago, this wasn't even a fantasy. Perhaps I am too happy about this, but I can't even believe we have gotten this far. I can't help believing we shall overcome. :)

Posted by: NullNaught | May 1, 2013 8:36:07 AM

6. It would have been great if no one showed up at all. I wouldn't want to celebrate my state recognizing my union and relationship as second class. We are going to NYC to get MARRIED and perhaps one day my state will recognize us.

Posted by: J. Leo | May 1, 2013 8:51:20 AM

7. Civil Unions are a joke and a slap in the face of every gay person. In Colorado gay people are considered "less than", not equal to, and those gay people who say it is better than nothing are idiots deserving to sit in the back of the bus.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | May 1, 2013 10:09:30 AM

8. Civil Unions are a very real legal, financial, and personal commitment on the part of the couples who enter into them. It is not a step one takes lightly. Are they the ultimate goal? No, but they provide genuine state-level protections to lgbt families right now, at a time when full marriage is not just around the corner in Colorado. It is also another opportunity for same-sex couples to demonstrate their commitment before family, friends, and co-workers--who in turn will become allies in asking, "Why is there this absurd two-tier system?"

Posted by: Will | May 1, 2013 11:05:34 AM

9. @Krajci
    I'll be in favor of Civil Unions for homosexuals when they are the only recognized form of union for heterosexuals as well. That seems like the perfect compromise.

Posted by: Clayton | May 1, 2013 8:42:04 PM