Dallas | Gay Marriage | News | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings Calls Resolution Supporting Marriage Equality a 'Waste of Time'

The Dallas City Council is planning to take up a resolution supporting same-sex marriage and reportedly has the votes to pass it, the Dallas Voice reports:

RawlingsDallas City Councilman Scott Griggs says he has the eight votes needed to pass a resolution in support of marriage equality and statewide LGBT employment protections.

Griggs has said he didn’t want to place the item on the agenda until he was sure it had the eight votes needed to pass.

Mayor Mike Rawlings (pictured) told the Dallas Morning News that he thinks the resolution is a waste of time:

This afternoon, Rawlings stressed that he is “an unequivocal supporter of marriage equality.”

But the Dallas City Council should not spend its meetings debating political questions that it has no power over, he said.

“I don’t want to be talking about late-term abortions, or gun control, or Gitmo,” he said.

To do so is “a misuse of City Council time.” ... “To do this for what seems to be political purposes is not good judgment,” he said.

Comments

1. In Dallas, Texas?

No, a esolution supporting marriage equality is not "a waste of time" but is powerful synbolism...and it would be nice if we could get similar resolutions from Houston, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, etc.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 2, 2013 12:32:09 PM

2. As a frustrated Texan I agree, Chitown Kev. We need Austin, Houston and San Antonio to do this as well. Symbolically, it sends a very powerful message of to Legislators of the Texas House and Senate.

Posted by: RONTEX | May 2, 2013 12:39:24 PM

3. It may just be symbolic, but it's a very important statement of acceptance and inclusion to make. Mayor Rawlings' comments highlight just how dismissive and cold so many politicians are when it comes to our lives and livelihoods. It's sad but good on Councilman Griggs and the others on pushing for and supporting this.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 2, 2013 12:54:24 PM

4. Use of a political office or committee to make a political statement is a waste of time? They do have power to help make change by making a statement. To do nothing is to endorse the state of things as they are.

Posted by: Beau Chandler | May 2, 2013 12:55:23 PM

5. Yes, Mr. Rawlings, no need for local government to concern itself with social issues.

Posted by: Jack M | May 2, 2013 1:01:04 PM

6. "Rawlings stressed that he is 'an unequivocal supporter of marriage equality'.” Uh-huh, said this Doubting Thomas Texas.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | May 2, 2013 1:01:32 PM

7. Obviously, there are gay residents of Dallas so this issue is a natural concern to them, as it should be to all decent people, gay or not gay. That said, some of the 'advocate' city councilors in my city are comical and out of control. Instead of getting potholes fixed, dealing with crime and education concerns, they're debating the Israel-Palestine conflict conflict.

@Chitown Kev,

Houston, 4th biggest city in the U.S., has an openly lesbian mayor. The city governments of Houston, Dallas, Austin are all Democratic strongholds and can be considered 'progressive'. Austin, capital of Texas, is one of the leading 'progressive' cities of America.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 2, 2013 1:02:25 PM

8. @ratbastrad

I know damn well who Annise Parker is and as frequent of a contributor to towleroad as I am, I am insulted that you would presume to lecture me about this.

I'm talking very specifically about city council resolution and I deliberately chose other Southern big cities outside of Texas.

I do agree with you, however, that many city councils...north and south, deal with some very stupid issues.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 2, 2013 1:18:10 PM

9. oh, wait, I did say Houston...

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 2, 2013 1:18:49 PM

10. I almost agree with him. Big surprise, the SF city council spends about 90% of its time wasting its time. If the Dallas council can issue the declaration expediently, great. Otherwise it will just be the same drawn-out debate we've all heard 100 times now, and it seems like that never changes anyone's mind.

Posted by: Paul R | May 2, 2013 1:30:32 PM

11. Then don't tax LGBT citizens of Dallas for the time they paid for.

Posted by: RMc | May 2, 2013 1:48:03 PM

12. Then don't tax LGBT citizens of Dallas for the time they paid for.

Posted by: RMc | May 2, 2013 1:48:08 PM

13. Maybe he is...

Posted by: Matt26 | May 2, 2013 1:59:52 PM

14. The Austin City Council is currently concerned with the recent pronouncement from the AG that same-sex domestic partner benefits are unconstitutional since same-sex marriages are illegal in Texas, so I can see where the Dallas mayor is coming from, even if the Dallas resolution is legally non-binding. Taking the time in meetings drafting statements that have no legal impact (including awarding celebrities special days/keys to the city) can be perceived as poor uses of city resources.

Posted by: Jerry | May 2, 2013 2:03:00 PM

15. I want to add this...

The reason why I would love for big urban areas on the Soth to adopt these resolutions supporting marriage equality is because what we face (and will continue to face, IMO) is an urban-rural divide...

...which I find to be very ironic.

If one assumes that that the opposition here and in other "western" countries is Christian opposition, the irony is that, from the time Paul had his "conversion experience," Christianity was a religion of the big city (think Rome, Corinth, Antioch, etc.) The pagans were, quite literally, country folks.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 2, 2013 2:10:02 PM

16. I'm amazed the mayor of Dallas is an unequivocal supporter of marriage equality. I really had no idea. Perhaps it is worth the city council's time, if it helps Dallas or any other city in a red state, show that the politicians aren't all puppets of the bigoted zealots in those states. The puppets are the ones that scream the loudest after all.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | May 2, 2013 2:20:05 PM

17. Griggs is my councilperson and I support his positions almost all of the time. I believe he has the votes to do this with or without Rawlings and it should be done soon. That said, I guess I don't find it all that important in the big scheme of things here in Texas. I will be long gone from this state before any real change at the state level takes place. Will do what so many others will and retire to an equality state.

Posted by: mikeydallas | May 2, 2013 3:24:02 PM

18. The mayors of Austin, Houston, and San Antonio are all members of the organization Mayors for the Freedom To Marry. Mayor Annise Parker of Houston is a chairwoman of the committee, alongside the mayors of New York, LA, and Boston. You will not find the mayors of Dallas or Ft. Worth listed on the committee. If Mike Rawlings supports marriage equality, as he claims, then why is he not on this committee with the mayors of practically every other large city in the USA? http://www.freedomtomarry.org/pages/mayors-for-the-freedom-to-marry

Posted by: Riely | May 2, 2013 4:35:45 PM

19. I *kind of* see where he's coming from. As a citizen of Austin, I know first hand that anytime a liberal minded city in Texas does something the right wing doesnt agree with the state attempts to rain down hell fire!! Ex. Austin's disposable bag ban and Pflugerville's school district giving benefits to same sex couples. It's all going to end up in some messy state legislative political battle which does nothing more than steal time and funds from equally important but winnable fights like jobs, homelessness, immigration, etc. I dont expect Texas to ever legalize same sex marriage before the federal government does so it just may be better to leave it be for now. Yea it sucks but thats reality.

Posted by: DJ Gayburn | May 2, 2013 10:13:47 PM

20. So much for the Black Church...HUH? I thought Whites were so LGBTQ Affirming?

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | May 3, 2013 1:52:46 AM

21. Another example of the tone deafness politicians have toward those who elected them.

Posted by: DC Arnold | May 3, 2013 8:22:43 AM

22. The mayor of Dallas is moron - on the day before the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination, he has the nerve to get a city ordinance in play that defies the US Constitution. I hope Alex Jones and crew sue him mightily. Yeah big shot mayor - go arrest Alex today!

Posted by: Craig | Nov 21, 2013 12:33:38 PM