Deaths | Music | News | Peter Rauhofer

DJ Peter Rauhofer Dies After Battle with Brain Tumor

Rauhofer

DJ Peter Rauhofer, whom we reported recently was battling a brain tumor, has died, according to a message posted on his official Facebook page by his manager, Angelo Russo:

Today the music industry has lost one of it's true heroes.

With a heavy heart I must now report that Peter Rauhofer has lost his battle with brain cancer.

He passed quietly today and is survived by his mother, Helga, who resides in Austria.

She will transport Peter back home to his final resting place there, but to all that knew Peter, his heart will always be in New York City.

It makes me sad, not only that I have lost a friend, but that the world has lost an amazing talent and that future generations will never get to understand the magic that Peter created night after night all over the world.

He is gone too soon but we will always have the vast body of music that Peter left for us.

Through his music, Peter will live forever. The brightest stars always burn out too soon. Peter, you were loved and you will be terribly missed. Goodbye my friend. Please rest in peace knowing that you have brought so much joy to so many of us. I ask that his true fans keep his legacy alive by sharing his music with anyone who may not have had the opportunity to experience it for themselves.

Rauhofer was 48.

Our thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Comments

1. Peter I will not forget your music.

Posted by: Ignacio | May 7, 2013 12:42:10 PM

2. A sad loss to the DJ/Dance world. Especially being so young.

Posted by: jakeinlove | May 7, 2013 12:50:42 PM

3. He was in the very top echelon of DJs.

Posted by: Perry | May 7, 2013 12:51:20 PM

4. Gay disney will not be the same. I hope someone does a tribute of all your tracks. You will be missed.

Posted by: tilltheworldends | May 7, 2013 12:53:35 PM

5. I'm not familiar with his music, I'll have to check it out. So sad, too young, condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: Joel V | May 7, 2013 1:01:37 PM

6. Very, very, very sad. Condolences to his mother, family and all his friends.

The man created sublime magic with music. Thank you, Peter. Very much.

R.I.P.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 7, 2013 1:01:47 PM

7. I'm stunned.

While I didn't know him personally, I am forever grateful for the music he shared with the world. My formative years at the Roxy have everything to do with making great lifelong friends and hearing Peter spin. Truly a talent and good spirit.

Thoughts to everyone who knew him personally. He will be remembered.

Posted by: Bart | May 7, 2013 1:01:52 PM

8. I always liked his remix of Madonna's 'Nothing Really Matters' - called the Club 69 remix...

Posted by: steve | May 7, 2013 1:19:27 PM

9. Is this someone only NY gays or gays over 40 would know?

Posted by: Brian H | May 7, 2013 1:27:06 PM

10. Uggggg, this is just so sad. Been a big fan of pretty much everything he's done since way back in the Club 69 days. The dance music community has lost a legend, a diva and a huge talent. Sigh! RIP!

Posted by: Gary A/House Music Pusher | May 7, 2013 1:28:41 PM

11. Teve, yeah, I have that remix-awesome! Also his mix of madonna's Skin (collaborated with Victore Calderone, another great one.)

Posted by: nikko | May 7, 2013 1:31:56 PM

12. Sad. So young to go. RIP Peter. Heart goes out to his family, friends and everyone his music touched.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 7, 2013 1:40:09 PM

13. I'm 23 and knew of him, Brian. I didn't grow up with him, I guess, as other gay/bi guys older than me have, but I listened to and liked his music. His mixes are awesome.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 7, 2013 1:47:48 PM

14. Sad loss of a human being, of course. But don't let's use terms more appropriately reserved for Bernstein or Hendrix.

Posted by: Darren | May 7, 2013 1:53:36 PM

15. Darren-

Peter had more to do with me making my way through the gay community then Bernstein or Hendrix. So yeah, he's important to people.

Such a selfish thing when someone like you acts as a meter for what is deserving/undeserving of a written tribute. Start being less self-centered. You'll see it pays back over time.

Posted by: Jack | May 7, 2013 2:06:48 PM

16. Can we drop the whole "brave battle with cancer" line? He didn"t battle cancer, he was diagnosed with a massive, inoperable brain tumor a few months ago, and then he died. There was no battle, he was doomed. Sorry to pop everyone's bubble but not everyone with cancer has a "brave battle" sometimes cancer just kills you.

Posted by: Gestly | May 7, 2013 2:07:42 PM

17. His remix of Christina Aguilera's Beautiful was released when I was in high school. It is one of my all-time favorites. It truly is an anthemic masterpiece.

The original track is quite beautiful and powerful in its own right, and Peter Rauhofer's remix of it added a celebratory element to it that really helped me understand what PRIDE means.

Posted by: John | May 7, 2013 2:08:37 PM

18. Gestly: You have no idea what he did or didn't go through, how brave he was in the face of his diagnosis, or how he went out.

He underwent chemo. He fought. He didn't just roll over and die.

Posted by: Dxx | May 7, 2013 2:13:39 PM

19. @Brian H., Darren, and Gestly: A very talented human being has just died of brain cancer, leaving behind family, friends, and many fans. For God's sake, try to show some respect. Seriously. Are you proud of your smugness? You shouldn't be.

Posted by: McCoysMarketNYC | May 7, 2013 2:17:52 PM

20. You don't have to be a NY Gay or over 40 to know this talent. But I know that he has few equals in the booth. Brian, check out some of his mixes. There will be no Taylor Swift, but you'll find something you'll like - I promise.

Posted by: Joel | May 7, 2013 2:24:47 PM

21. rest in peace peter rauhofer

he was an immensely talented entertainer who will be missed

Posted by: andrew | May 7, 2013 2:33:50 PM

22. For anyone interested, I found this via a Google search:

Posted by: MikeKV | May 7, 2013 2:37:21 PM

23. Even in death, the bitter queens come out. Gestly, on behalf of everybody here, you can go f--- yourself.

Posted by: Gregoire | May 7, 2013 2:47:09 PM

24. Bitter? Not Gregoire.

Posted by: GG | May 7, 2013 3:07:59 PM

25. Saddened by this news. May God be always with you Peter. Rest in peace.

Posted by: Jay | May 7, 2013 3:18:29 PM