DJ Peter Rauhofer Dies After Battle with Brain Tumor

Rauhofer

DJ Peter Rauhofer, whom we reported recently was battling a brain tumor, has died, according to a message posted on his official Facebook page by his manager, Angelo Russo:

Today the music industry has lost one of it's true heroes.

With a heavy heart I must now report that Peter Rauhofer has lost his battle with brain cancer.

He passed quietly today and is survived by his mother, Helga, who resides in Austria.

She will transport Peter back home to his final resting place there, but to all that knew Peter, his heart will always be in New York City.

It makes me sad, not only that I have lost a friend, but that the world has lost an amazing talent and that future generations will never get to understand the magic that Peter created night after night all over the world.

He is gone too soon but we will always have the vast body of music that Peter left for us.

Through his music, Peter will live forever. The brightest stars always burn out too soon. Peter, you were loved and you will be terribly missed. Goodbye my friend. Please rest in peace knowing that you have brought so much joy to so many of us. I ask that his true fans keep his legacy alive by sharing his music with anyone who may not have had the opportunity to experience it for themselves.

Rauhofer was 48.

Our thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Comments

1. jamal49 says

Very, very, very sad. Condolences to his mother, family and all his friends.

The man created sublime magic with music. Thank you, Peter. Very much.

R.I.P.

2. Bart says

I’m stunned.

While I didn’t know him personally, I am forever grateful for the music he shared with the world. My formative years at the Roxy have everything to do with making great lifelong friends and hearing Peter spin. Truly a talent and good spirit.

Thoughts to everyone who knew him personally. He will be remembered.

3. Francis #1 says

I’m 23 and knew of him, Brian. I didn’t grow up with him, I guess, as other gay/bi guys older than me have, but I listened to and liked his music. His mixes are awesome.

4. Jack says

Darren-

Peter had more to do with me making my way through the gay community then Bernstein or Hendrix. So yeah, he’s important to people.

Such a selfish thing when someone like you acts as a meter for what is deserving/undeserving of a written tribute. Start being less self-centered. You’ll see it pays back over time.

5. Gestly says

Can we drop the whole “brave battle with cancer” line? He didn”t battle cancer, he was diagnosed with a massive, inoperable brain tumor a few months ago, and then he died. There was no battle, he was doomed. Sorry to pop everyone’s bubble but not everyone with cancer has a “brave battle” sometimes cancer just kills you.

6. John says

His remix of Christina Aguilera’s Beautiful was released when I was in high school. It is one of my all-time favorites. It truly is an anthemic masterpiece.

The original track is quite beautiful and powerful in its own right, and Peter Rauhofer’s remix of it added a celebratory element to it that really helped me understand what PRIDE means.

7. Dxx says

Gestly: You have no idea what he did or didn’t go through, how brave he was in the face of his diagnosis, or how he went out.

He underwent chemo. He fought. He didn’t just roll over and die.

8. McCoysMarketNYC says

@Brian H., Darren, and Gestly: A very talented human being has just died of brain cancer, leaving behind family, friends, and many fans. For God’s sake, try to show some respect. Seriously. Are you proud of your smugness? You shouldn’t be.

9. Joel says

You don’t have to be a NY Gay or over 40 to know this talent. But I know that he has few equals in the booth. Brian, check out some of his mixes. There will be no Taylor Swift, but you’ll find something you’ll like – I promise.

10. Michel says

I just loved his music!
    I know Montreal had a special place in his heart. And he made for some of my most memorable evenings and nights. I will miss him so much.

11. anon says

How, outside of dance halls can you discover DJ music? It’s almost hidden from the general public.

I’ve never read an obituary that said “He died after a brave battle with a city bus while crossing the street…” so the language sticks out, but it’s mostly a mangled way of saying “he died bravely facing his own mortality for several months”.

12. ripper says

Peter Rauhofer is an extremely talented music producer and a legend on the gay party circuit. If you don’t know who he is, it’s probably because you’re a closet case or no one likes you enough to invite you to a party.

13. ratbastard says

Gay party circuit. And I’m not one of the hip in-crowd. That’s why I never heard of the dude. Plus I never like cocaine, MDMA, that much and have never smoked or used meth. Plus I DESPISE Eurotrash and Eurotrash wannabes. I guess these are the reasons why I never get invited to all the cool gay circuit parties, Ripper.

Anyway, he was a human being and had a mom and friends who loved him, so R.I.P.

14. Douglas says

He was a talented DJ, and I’m sorry to hear about his early demise.

He also had a knack for horning in on charity-organized party weekends, the interests of the charity be damned. This was particularly the case with recent Miami White and Winter Parties, when his privately produced Sunday night dances either put the charity event out of business altogether or a significant dent in the funds it raised. A selfish mark on an otherwise bright career.

15. JT says

More than 500 remixes (and substantial original work) dating back to the 80’s. Let’s also not forget his Grammy win along with two additional Grammy nominations. The man had immense talent.