Gay French Mayor Sent Bullets in the Mail After Newspaper Prints Plans of His Marriage

Thierry Speitel, mayor of the town of Sigolsheim in the Haut-Rhin area of eastern France, was sent bullets in the mail this week, The Local reports:

SpeitelThe threat comes after Speitel gave a recent interview to the local newspaper Derniers Nouvelles d’Alsace in which he talked about the probability he would marry his partner and the prospect of them adopting children.

He also slammed the homophobic incidents that have taken place in France over recent months, that have been blamed on the poisonous atmosphere created by some of the more extreme opponents of gay marriage.

Along with the bullets, Speitel, a practicing Catholic, was sent a copy of his newspaper interview, which contained scrawled handwritten homophobic insults.

He is not the only elected official to have received threats in recent month.

Claude Bartolone, the head of French Parliament, was terrorized with a letter containing gunpowder and similar threats shortly before the body voted to legalize same-sex marriage.

Comments

1. Molc says

It’s great to see the French Police on the case-LOL. I suspect no charges whatsoever will be laid in any of these cases. The police are on the terrorists side in this one.

2. Greg says

Glad they are rebelling against the Gay agenda? What about the “Christian agenda” to force their religious beliefs onto everyone else? The last time I read the constitution, it guaranteed us FREEDOM from a nationalized religion. That means I have the right to believe what I want and not have to believe what you want to make me believe. So who really has the “agenda”?

3. C()nt says

I didn’t realize just how violently homophobic France was until after the whole gay marriage debate. I’m not so sure I have a desire to spend tourist dollars there again after seeing their true colors.

4. jamal49 says

Krajci, honey, you know I have superpowers and a friend who can hack with the best of them. Now shush or I’m gonna have my friend track your sorry ass down, then I’m gonna wrinkle my nose to your doorstep and show you the fat end of my baseball bat.

In other words, buttboy, get lost.

5. EchtKultig says

“I didn’t realize just how violently homophobic France was until after the whole gay marriage debate”

No more so than anywhere else in the western world. Certainly the “average” french citizen is less homophobic than the “average” American one. (Though this is probably less true than it was even 10 years ago.) However, even in nominally Catholic country, you’re going to have a very small % of the population who are crazy Catholics. And being crazy, French, and arch Catholic is a recipe for…well…craziness of this type.

I love the sending of gunpowder. What is that supposed to do? Give the recipient a sneezing fit? Why not just send a picture of a gun?

6. Twoshadows says

The only thing I can say is I hope the bullets are the right caliber to fit his gun.

I cannot believe that France is doing their best to make the US look safe and sane on this issue.