Comic Books | Kickstarter | News | Superheroes

Gay Superhero Comic Reaches $14,000 Kickstarter Goal In Less Than 24 Hours: VIDEO

Comic

Less than 24 hours after launching a Kickstarter project to publish his gay superhero web comic The Young Protectors in book form, writer Alex Woolfson has reached his $14,000 goal. Back in March, we reported on Woolfson's first Kickstarter-funded comic Artifice. Both have been tremendous successes on the crowd funding website.

Kyle"I wrote The Young Protectors because I loved action movies and superhero comics as a kid," Woolfson said. "But I never got to see what I really wanted to see and that's kick-ass genre stories with heroes who just happened to like other guys."

To foster interest in the project, Woolfson has created a variety of rewards for different levels of pledge support, including signed copies, posters, keychains, and even chances to appear in future pages of the comic. As of Tuesday afternoon, over $28,000 has been pledged to the project.

Check out Woolfson's trailer explaining the comic, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Young Protectors webcomic can also be read for free online here

Comments

1. wow, he certainly thought this through and did a nice job with his video

Posted by: steve | May 29, 2013 11:13:45 AM

2. Well, this is his second book he's crowd sourced. I imagine he learned a bit from the Artifice kickstart. I'm fairly stoked for this project, myself. Been following his comics since Artifice, and YP has been a good read. Although Kyle is supposed to be the main character, Spooky is giving him a run for his money as my favorite.

Posted by: LiamB | May 29, 2013 11:16:50 AM

3. I'm a supporter and looking forward to reading this comic!

Posted by: mikep | May 29, 2013 11:41:17 AM

4. I've bee reading this comic on the web for some time now. It's great and I encourage you all to do the same.

Posted by: MateoM | May 29, 2013 12:49:59 PM

5. count me as another web fan. loved artifice, and i am enjoying the story and the very impressive artwork of young protectors...

Posted by: bandanajack | May 29, 2013 2:04:05 PM

6. Agree, fan since Artifice and also following Young Protectors. Alex is on FB as well

Posted by: RONTEX | May 29, 2013 5:52:39 PM

7. Fantastic, I wish this had been available 40 years ago, but I am thrilled to be a small part of it today.

Posted by: John Mijac | May 29, 2013 7:53:12 PM

8. Love his comics and have been a fan for a while. Was really disappointed I missed out on the Artifice kickstarter and I'm SO GLAD I can be a part of this one.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Towleroad!

Posted by: Alan | May 30, 2013 6:41:35 AM

9. @Alan If you missed out on the Kickstarter for Artifice but still want a physical copy, they're for sale on Amazon.

Alex makes the rounds of comic book conventions, so depending on where you are you can even get it signed when he comes to town.

Posted by: DM | May 30, 2013 12:40:45 PM