News | Real Estate | San Francisco

High-End Male Strip Club Planned for SF Castro's Iconic 'Bank of America' Building

Bofa

(image flickr jamison wieser)

The iconic Bank of America building at the corner of Castro and Market in San Francisco may soon have a new tenant: The Randy Rooster SF, a 'gay gentlemen's supper and burlesque club', the San Francisco Chronicle reports:

“From what they presented to me, it appears to be a go-go dancing, semi-strip club,” said Terry Asten Bennett with the Merchants of Upper Market and Castro association.

“It’s not going to be nude, but potentially they will be stripping down to thongs,” said Randy Rooster co-owner Daniella Reichstetter. But unlike other strip clubs, she said, patrons won’t be stuffing dollar bills into the thongs. Reichstetter said the owners want the club to be classy, clean and represent everything gay in San Francisco — complete with beautiful cocktails and dinners with “local sustainable-source fare.”

Patrons will also be given a menu of local charities to which a portion of their cover charge will be donated.

Comments

1. Splash West, upscaled

Posted by: QJ201 | May 6, 2013 9:45:28 AM

2. "Classy" eh? That's a one-word oxymoron.

I say bring back the bank!

Posted by: tominsf | May 6, 2013 9:49:04 AM

3. You have the wrong BofA building. This on is at 18th & Castro, and currently is the BofA branch.
    It is the old BofA building, or the old Diesel store.
    Tim

Posted by: Tim Lorenz | May 6, 2013 9:49:33 AM

4. How incredibly tacky! Do we in the gay male community really need to stoop down to this level? I realize that sleazy straight guys and their female enablers have set the bar pretty low over there in Frisco but do we really need to ape them?

Besides, male strippers for gay male voyeurs won't work. Gay men would prefer to have sex rather than to get teased.

Posted by: Adam | May 6, 2013 9:51:54 AM

5. Sounds good! I hope they'll have hunkier strippers, though, the skinny boys don't do a thing for me.

Posted by: Carlos | May 6, 2013 9:52:00 AM

6. No dollar bills.. but you can run your credit/debit card in-between the stripper's buttcheeks.

And i'm sorry but there's nothing classy about stripping.

Posted by: Jeff in Brooklyn | May 6, 2013 9:54:11 AM

7. I think Jeff in Brooklyn might be on to something. Just like Karen Walker says, "Denied, denied...approved."

Posted by: gr8t tchr sd | May 6, 2013 9:58:30 AM

8. Interesting, another reason why I never should have left S.F. :-)

Posted by: Tom | May 6, 2013 10:08:21 AM

9. Yechchchch.
    I'm with 'Jeff in Brooklyn' - this is tacky.
    And yes, I live in SF. Well, a mile away.

Posted by: PixelWizard | May 6, 2013 10:09:20 AM

10. Excellent PR coup!

Posted by: anon | May 6, 2013 10:12:40 AM

11. The quintessential gentlemen's club has it's place in American cultural and business history.

I say it's about time this bastion of the "old boy's club" meet Gay USA. It helps makes our sexuality more comparable to straight males, where having an interest in sex is healthy and verile, not whorish.

Now, if it's just another strip club? Nevermind.

Posted by: Ken | May 6, 2013 10:19:49 AM

12. I think the number of gay men who would actually patronize an upscale gay male stripclub in SF is down to about seven. Hope that's enough to keep the doors open.

BTW, our very expensive bottle club, Trigger, closed last year. Too expensive, not enough douchebags to act as patrons... that tell you something about the economics of the neighborhood?

Posted by: Elsewhere1010 | May 6, 2013 10:33:55 AM

13. Now hiring: juiced up straight guys wanted

Posted by: David | May 6, 2013 10:51:39 AM

14. Hooters!

Posted by: mike | May 6, 2013 11:09:02 AM

15. Attempts to create exclusive and expensive venues in the Castro usually fail or have been forced to resume in a more rational fashion. This latest business concept appears to be just such a one, and yeah, tacky as well. This is more a Polk Street and east coast sort of idea. How about a terrifically well-run level-headed restaurant and bar in this exciting hub location, instead?

Posted by: Peter Haan | May 6, 2013 11:40:58 AM

16. @Peter Haan

High end and private clubs are an east coast thing? LOL good one. Isn't high end, exclusive, social status, etc. the entire idea of California and its cities?

Posted by: Jesse | May 6, 2013 11:48:48 AM

17. How over priced will the drinks be?

And why would I want to watch a guy dance in a thong while sipping an over priced drink?

That looks like the perfect spot for a Walgreens or CVS. I bet SF could use another ubiquitous Walgreens or CVS. Maybe a gay friendly full service Citibank with a nice big, bright rainbow flag and pretty, hip, young male associates. Actually, a family dollar store would fit perfectly in that spot. It could be designed specifically for the LGBT 'queer' community, with a large assortment of low cost lubes, novelty dildos made in China, and whatnot.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 6, 2013 11:48:49 AM

18. What David said.

===============

Looks like the perfect spot for a Walgreens or CVS! Maybe a LGBT 'Queer' friendly Family Dollar Store, with a large assortment of low cost lubes and whatnot. Does Castro need a full service 'Queer' friendly Citibank branch with a big ol' rainbow flag?

Posted by: ratbastard | May 6, 2013 11:53:49 AM

19. High-end gay male strip club with no nudity...maybe thongs. LOL Classy, clean and represent everything gay in San Francisco.....is this a joke?
    This is certainly NOT the San Francisco that I remember. I give it a four week run...then it will close.

Posted by: excy | May 6, 2013 12:16:08 PM

20. Because nothing says class privilege and oppression like a high end strip club with expensive drinks. It's a bad business model and will go bankrupt within a year. Sorry A-Gays...

Posted by: JohninBend | May 6, 2013 12:16:39 PM

21. There's already a Walgreen's across the street. It sells lube, as do about 40 other stores in the Castro. There are rainbow flags everywhere.

I agree that it will fail if it's too expensive given all the places to get cheap drinks in that area, but there are lots of bars that feature go-go dancers and do quite well. I don't know why so many people assume that no one wants to see mostly naked men.

Posted by: Paul R | May 6, 2013 12:32:30 PM

22. "represent everything...San Francisco"

I love San Francisco, but I hate to admit that there is a lot more truth to this statement than the owner intends. Only SF could bring together the sanctimonious ("menu of local charities"...whaa???) and the lascivious.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that this SF still exists. But let's call a spade a spade: it's crazy.

Posted by: Miguel R. | May 6, 2013 12:57:48 PM

23. As someone who has lived in the Castro/Duboce Park neighborhood for 20 years this 'club' has FAILURE written all over it.
    They supposedly spent 7.7 Million to buy the building and they say they'll 'invest' another 6 million into the club. One just has to walk through the Castro to see that 1 of 3 businesses is shuttered and closed. They also have free 'strippers' within 50 feet of that location at 'The Cafe' and 444.
    I'm sure Supervisor Wiener(you can't write this stuff!) will be getting lots of 'feedback' from the residents who will rightfully discourage such a worthless use of space. Also,what makes the old Levi's store 'ICONIC' when it's sat vacant with homeless sleeping there for the last year?
    SF is the most amazing city in the world but it's obvious some people just have wayyy too much money to burn!

Posted by: SFshawn | May 6, 2013 1:17:25 PM

24. What a terrible idea - a non-nude "strip" club in a residential neighborhood already crowded with free non-nude dancers and cheap drinks. Yeah, this is going to fail incredibly quickly. I know I won't be wasting my money on this place, and I live a block away. Mark my words: their only customers wil be four Gay googlers with more money than sense, and screeching bachelorette parties.

Posted by: Tony | May 6, 2013 1:24:04 PM

25. It'll probably get some tourists too, but I won't be going either. I had no idea they had spent $13 million plus on it. Most restaurants in the Castro don't do well to begin with, and the fancy ones close even faster. (2223 lasted a while, and Catch seems to do well, but that's about it.)

Posted by: Paul R | May 6, 2013 1:34:46 PM