Jesse Tyler Ferguson Urges His New Mexico Catholic High School to Let Trans Student Graduate in Dignity

Garcia

Last week, I posted about Damien Garcia, a trans male student at St. Pius High School in Albuquerque, New Mexico who is being forced to wear a girl's gown to the school's graduation.

Modern Family actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson graduated from the same school, and is getting involved on Garcia's behalf.

Writes Ferguson in a letter to the school posted on Facebook (transcribed from screencap below):

I am writing to ask you to do the right thing and let all your students graduate with dignity. Do not force someone to identify them self  (sic) as someone they are not! Is is as ridiculous as having a priest conduct mass in a nuns habit! Gender identification goes way beyond a check mark on a birth certificate.

I know St. Pius X  has changed a lot since I graduated in '94. I proud of the changes and strides you have made but this is not a time to hold to a rule book. Continue to grow and accept ALL of your students.

A rally is being held this morning at the high school to support Garcia. An online petition has collected more than 24,000 signatures urging St. Pius to reconsider. The school says it will decide later today.

Jtf_stpius

Comments

1. JT says

Dear Towleroad:

Did anyone graduate high school on your staff? It is just too hard to believe anything written here if you cannot write it correctly. In the above news you write “Do not force someone to dientify them self as someone…” WTFH? No one even used SPELLCHECK on this one! You’re a bunch of loser journalists until you can read what you’re printing. I’ll get my info from NOM or some other “I don’t care what I’m writing” loser organization.

2. JT says

And Ferguson is no better if he indeed wrote what I see. Is everyone so busy on their smartphones they cannot check to see if what they are writing makes sense or even sounds right? “I proud of the changes…” Total garbage! I’m done here!

3. Dave says

LOL! Ferguson is going out of his way to help this trans kid. But no trans activist would so much as spit on him if he were burning. Trans activists care only about themselves and care not a sh*t about gay people or gay rights.

4. Mike Ryan says

To be kind, Jesse needs someone to proofread his public statements before pushing that “post” button. His heart is in the right place and that’s what really counts.

5. ChristopherM says

Aww poor Dave! He once got pushed down on the playground by a trans person who took his lollipop and now he has to act like a big bitter crybaby toward all trans people! Suck it up Dave. Most trans people are on our side just as most gay people aren’t ridiculous bigots like you.

6. Dave says

I am not “against” trans people. I just think it is a disaster for gay people to chain themselves to trans activists and their craziness.

Trans activists do NOT support gay rights. They don’t lift a finger. They don’t raise money. They actively oppose marriage equality. They insist that no gay org can exist unless it is “trans inclusive” but they maintain trans only orgs themselves – which they expect gays to fund. LGBT is the biggest scam going on in politics today and it is insane for us to continue with it.

7. MateoM says

Dave, I wasn’t aware that you speak for all Trans individuals in the entire world. In fact, you speak for no one. You’re just another alias of the resident Towleroad troll, Rick. Honestly, take your bs to some homocon site, where your idiocy will certainly be applauded.

8. MateoM says

9. Tom Cardellino says

It has always struck me dumb and (almost) mute when any person, nevertheless LG&B folks, trash transsexuals. In my heart and soul, and calling upon the decades of the many gay-bashing physical attacks upon me, familial ostracization and the loss of a few positions of employment due to homophobia, how can any L, G, or B person spout or even think such venom against such a put-upon group of fellow struggling humans who want what we want? I once had a lesbian smack me when she was drunk because she misunderstood some simple joke I made, the likes of which I now forget, but with advice from her friends she soon after apologized. How can a single personal experience with a random human possessing certain attributes cause any rational person to vociferously condemn the entire group as somehow unworthy of empathy? I’ve been financially duped by Romany families a few times, yet I wish them all well in their EU struggles for respect as a people. Growing up in an integrated suburb of Philadelphia, I was many times attacked by groups of knuckleheads when I was young; yet now, especially because I was also educated by, treated medically by, and directly befriended by, let’s say “rank-and-file” good hearted souls of the same ethnicity, my life has been enriched by my African-American friends, nurses, doctors, and professors. It does an individual person no good whatsoever to draw dismissive conclusions because, for example, one blue-eyed person once beat you up, robbed you, or otherwise did you harm. How can anyone rationally wholesale dismiss all transgender folks because of a few knuckleheads they might have met?