Chris Broussard | Jason Collins | Jennifer Roback-Morse | News | NOM

BigGayDeal.com

NOM Spokesman: ESPN's Chris Broussard More Courageous Than Jason Collins

Broussard

NOM's Jennifer Roback-Morse told Lutheran Public Radio on Tuesday that it took much more courage for ESPN's Chris Broussard to condemn Jason Collins for coming out than it did for Collins to tell the world that he's gay.

MorseSaid Morse:

I think he required more courage than the basketball player did. I mean, it requires no courage at all today to say “I’m gay.” It’s my understanding [Collins] got a phone call from the president congratulating him on his courage. Well how much courage can it take if the president’s going to pick up the phone and give you a personal phone call, you know? But in the meantime, this fellow who says, you know, ‘I’m a Christian, and I believe that sex belongs in marriage and it belongs in man-woman marriage,’ to say that, now that will bring the whole wrath of society down upon your head. So that’s the guy that really required the courage and I give him a lot of credit for it.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Morse added: "I was actually quite touched by his comments because – I hate to say this because the gay lobby will certainly pick up on this – but I want you to know I did not coach this man at all whatsoever, but he sounds like a spokesman for the Ruth Institute because he’s there saying all of these sins are sexual sins."

Comments

1. Announcing to the world that you're a vile, hateful bigot is SOOOO courageous!

Posted by: Red | May 2, 2013 10:49:27 AM

2. she's right. every day anti-gay bigots are committing suicide because they can't take the pressure of people knowing that they're anti-gay.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 2, 2013 10:51:23 AM

3. What a weirdo.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | May 2, 2013 10:56:26 AM

4. How much courage does it take to tell other people your are not as good as me because you don't believe the same things I believe. NONE.

Posted by: Jaysonn | May 2, 2013 10:57:58 AM

5. It's flipping amazing people who thump their Bibles can't fathom how it's NOT a sexual sin according to Leviticus, it's actually part of the Holiness Code which has NOTHING to do with morality.

The quote comes right after God telling us not to sacrifice our children to Molech.

Posted by: Michael | May 2, 2013 10:58:18 AM

6. Little Kiwi stated the anti-gay bigot's "fear" perfectly.

Actually, I've never known of a NOMbie or AFA or FRC-approved homophobe afraid to let their GLBT hate-mongering be known to anyone and everyone. They wouldn't know courage if it slapped them on the ass.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | May 2, 2013 10:59:18 AM

7. When you believe you live in a world governed by an extraterrestrial being who has given you his words in a book, you're going to say and do some astonishingly ignorant things.

Posted by: MammaBear | May 2, 2013 11:00:31 AM

8. It is a fact that being an out Christian in today's society takes a lot of courage. I am not talking about the fake Christians who thinks everything goes and Jesus was a sodomite, but the true Christians who stand up and proclaim the lord's word. Broussard will face the wrath of society, while Collins will get marketing deals. Of course Broussard was more courageous and you all know it! I actually think this new Christian persecution is good for the church it will separate the wheat from the chaff. I prefer a smaller but purer church, as it was in the first century before the Pagan Constantine got his dirty hands on it and polluted the sacraments with pagan nonsense. If the whore of Rome falls better yet! I want my fellow Christians back in the basements praying quietly. The road is indeed narrow. This new age persecution will get the hypocrites out and cleanse the congregation.

Posted by: Jenny | May 2, 2013 11:01:00 AM

9. I'd really laugh at this tactic if the majority of people saw it for what it was, but conservatives in general have PERFECTED the "we're the ultimate underdog/we're oppressed/our voices are never heard" meme. Even people who are LGBT supporters buy into this stuff. Examples:

This

Whenever conservative media (such as Fox, which has more viewers than any other cable news network) talks about things the "mainstream media won't tell you" such as the Gosnell case. I seriously see that everywhere. When other news networks don't hyperventilate over this stuff, they're "burying" it or "ignoring" it according to right-wing outlets.

The FRC exploiting the sh*! out of the Floyd Corkins incident

The Chick-fil-A boycott; somehow we were taking away their First Amendment rights because we were boycotting a company that donates money to anti-gay groups

Posted by: kpo5 | May 2, 2013 11:03:52 AM

10. Jenny,

Surprisingly I think you'll find a lot of kindred spirits here. I'm sure almost all of us would prefer a smaller church, like you want, and would love for the whore of rome to fall. And you saved the best for last: please, please lead your fellow christians on the narrow path leading to praying quietly in the basement. Wishing you the best on all these goals.

Posted by: Brian | May 2, 2013 11:11:33 AM

11. NOM never fails... to give idiotic statements.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 2, 2013 11:13:09 AM

12. And once you're in the basement lock the door behind you.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 2, 2013 11:13:48 AM

13. many moons ago when my church was voting on whether or not we'd, as a congregation, be supporting gay marriages in our church, one member stood up and said that there may be people who oppose gay marriage who are afraid to speak out in the forum and say so.
    i, still a teen, stood up and said that if i was able to be a gay teenager and stand before the church community that's known me since i was a child then they, as adults, should have to do the same if they want to stop me, and others like me, from marrying.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 2, 2013 11:18:24 AM

14. @ Brian: The church was never meant to become the whore that rose up in Rome. It was always suppose to be for the fewest of the few. Persecution is the only thing that can cleanse the church now. The Lord's hand is in all things. Sin will envelope the whole earth and all but a few true Christians will be swept up in this ocean of filth. The Bible speaks of the coming tribulation. Revelations is a wonderful book, please read it. As Christians we are commanded to proclaim God's words, but most people will always be lovers of sin and give themselves up to wicked desires.

Posted by: Jenny | May 2, 2013 11:19:06 AM

15. Again, pressure needs to be put on ESPN to release this a**hat from employment with them. What he is spouting is hate-speech and no ESPN public employee should be allowed to purposely set out to harm any other public figure. Let the guy go and do it with as much fanfare as he has done against Jason Collins.

Broussard can find a new job at Luthern Public Radio, Chick-fi-A, Pat Robertson.

We need to put as much pressure on ESPN as possible. Please, someone start an online petition.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | May 2, 2013 11:23:57 AM

16. You all need to read the story of Sodom. The story of Lot is important. It's what my dad would read to my sister and I every night, right before he had sex with us. Because homosexual gang-rape is a sin but impregnating your daughters is G-d's plan.

Posted by: Jenny | May 2, 2013 11:24:45 AM

17. Religion=Death.
    Do all bigoted religious zealots have those 'crazy' eyes?

Posted by: SFshawn | May 2, 2013 11:25:35 AM

18. Did you notice that I called it the book of revelations and not the book of revelation, which is what it's actually called? That's because I don't actually know what I'm talking about. It's not my fault because I'm the product of inbreeding.

Posted by: Jenny | May 2, 2013 11:32:08 AM

19. It's easy to hate; it's much harder to look into your heart and try to love.

And the world "courage" doesn't mean what this hateful hag thinks it does.

Posted by: Jack M | May 2, 2013 11:33:17 AM

20. Jenny, again I agree with you, the "fewest of the few" is the way to go.

Posted by: Brian | May 2, 2013 11:34:21 AM

21. To the person who posted in my name at 11:24:45 -- Please understand that Lot was drunk! His daughters essentially drugged him and he did not know that he was having sex with his own children! Please read Genesis 19:32. What they did was sinful. Just as the homosexual mob was sinful.

Posted by: Jenny | May 2, 2013 11:35:11 AM

22. And I did notice that you called it revelations, and I did assume you did that due to inbreeding. I also noticed you think sin is going to envelope the world, when envelopes are only used for mailing letters. thanks for clearing that up though.

Posted by: Brian | May 2, 2013 11:36:32 AM

23. Oh yes, it takes SO much courage to call someone an abomination when you're not saying it right to their face.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | May 2, 2013 11:45:17 AM

24. Unless you've been hated, persecuted, told you were
    not worthy to be treated as equal then you have no understanding of this man's (or any gay persons) journey or the pressures of the society he grew up in. CONFORM OR DIE has been the mantra of this country for years and it's time to end it. We are not a country of only white, straight, christian people but a quilt of many colors, sexual orientations and religions, it's time we were all represented equally. I know, I know, it's hard to share the toys for many conservatives but America is a playground owned by everyone.

Posted by: RONTEX | May 2, 2013 11:48:54 AM

25. LOL@ "Just as the homosexual mob was sinful."

LOL...They weren't homosexuals. Men would f.ck anything back then. Some still do.

Miss Jenny, you picked the wrong place to evangelize. It aint gonna' work here. I'm telling you.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 2, 2013 12:06:26 PM