Chicago | News | Sports

National Gay Athlete Hall of Fame Launched in Chicago

Halloffame

Bill Gubrud, a former ad sales executive and organizer of the first Gay Day in MLB at Wrigley Field, has launched a National Gay Athlete Hall of Fame in Chicago, the Tribune reports:

Gubrudhe nonprofit National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame will accept nominees beginning this summer. Its goal is to honor people and organizations that have "stood up to stereotypes" and embraced gay and lesbian athletes, said Bill Gubrud, executive director and board chairman...

Gubrud, of Chicago, said the organization could honor deceased players and advocates such as gay MLB outfielder Glenn Burke, credited with introducing the high-five. Burke's sexuality wasn't widely known until after his playing career.

Nominees can be from any sporting level, from youth leagues to professional sports. The nomination form can be found at gayandlesbiansports.com.

Says the group's mission statement: "The National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s mission is to recognize both individuals and organizations whose achievements and efforts have enhanced sports and athletics for the LGBT community. In addition, the Hall of Fame will preserve the history of LGBT individuals who have impacted professional and amateur sports and provide outreach and education to the sporting world so that LGBT youth all across the nation feel welcome and safe to participate in any and all athletic related activities."

Comments

1. Ha! Good timing!

Posted by: Fenrox | May 1, 2013 11:11:54 AM

2. Its about time!!!!

Posted by: Tom | May 1, 2013 11:18:13 AM

3. This is a great idea, but they had better be careful about "claiming" athletes who are no longer living and who were not "out" in their lifetimes, as most of them were not. I could easily see families of those individuals suing them for "defamation", since the families are often in denial and the museum proprietors would have no way of proving the athlete in question was, in fact, gay.

Take Jerry Smith, for example, the All-Pro tight end who played for the Redskins in the 60's and 70's and who later died of AIDS. The "circumstantial evidence" strongly suggested he was gay and he may even have friends who are still living who could confirm it, but he never acknowledged it publicly.

Anyway, with that caveat, I salute them for getting this project underway--it will be another step in giving gay youth and teens masculine role models that will speed the transformation of gay male culture, at the same time that it honors pioneers like Jason Collins.

Posted by: Rick | May 1, 2013 11:26:21 AM

4. Did you notice how I turned a positive story into another rant about "masculinity?" It's because I'm not very masculine, and I'm not openly gay, and my entire family wishes I was dead already. I'll never come out, I'll never put a face to who we are as a gay man, and I will always be furious that those effeminate men that my bigoted father taught me to hate are more man than I'll ever be. I hate effeminate gay men because they're not afraid to be Out and I am.

I really should just commit suicide, but I got a message from a psychic saying that my dad's favourite thing about being in Hell is that I'm no longer around to embarrass him. So I don't wanna ruin his time being butt-raped by satan.

Posted by: Rick | May 1, 2013 11:33:42 AM

5. As for the fourth post in this thread, posted by Kiwi acting as an impostor, I would only point out that the stated purpose of the Executive Director, mentioned in the article, is to honor those who have "stood up to stereotypes."

Of course, we all know what kind of stereotype he is talking about--the same kind of stereotype that Jason Collins talked about in his interview with Stephie and the same kind of stereotype that the entire mainstream media has been talking about "shattering" for two days now.

And why would one want to "shatter" such a stereotype if the stereotype were not a negative? That's right, one wouldn't.

So the conclusion to draw is pretty obvious.

Posted by: Rick | May 1, 2013 11:42:39 AM

6. Well they are called the Gay and Lesbian blah blah blah but then keep going on about the LGBT community. Seems like lately we arent even refered to as LGBT anymore but the LGBT community - which IMO doesnt even exists.

Too bad they just coudnt say gay.

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 1, 2013 11:44:47 AM

7. the only men who think gay stereotypes are negative are too cowardly to Come Out, visibly. Which RICK proves every day with his cowardly inability to put a face to his comments. :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 1, 2013 11:49:04 AM